More fuel injector questions

JC3006

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport
Hey guys,

I’m right in the middle of a top-end refresh on my 91 4.0, and I a need some advice.

My factory stock injectors look very poor, and while I’m not having any trouble out of them, I have access to a much-lower mileage set of 94 (4 hole) injectors. While it’s already apart, do you think it would be worth the swap? Will it cause any issues on a mostly stock 4.0L?

If I do swap, I is there a good thread on how to R&R them myself at home? Is it possible (or even worth it?) to flow-match them myself?

Lastly, the rubber injector cup/seals/sleeves/dust boots are pretty hard and generally poor shape. I have tried for an hour to source replacements, but all I can find are for a 96+ year model. Anyone know If the 2nd gen cups will work on a 1st gen injector? Part# F77Z-9G512-AA

Hoping for some insight, thanks all

When I put a '95 engine in my '92, I left the 95 injectors in there, against the advice of many. There is a little difference in size (24 vs 19lb? i dont remember). In any event, it gave me no troubles at all. The ECU adjusted itself to the difference just fine. I've never been disappointed with MPG in an explorer with a 6" skyjacker kit lol. Spark plugs always look good. Check engine light never comes on unless something is amiss like the O2 goes bad or whatever.

Results may vary obviously, on my part I'd say go for it if you want.

Back