Oil Pressure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure

Ticking when hot? Like a lifter tick? A new engine should not tick at all
Exhaust gasket? Egr leak? Or lifter/ valve train tick?

New engine needs some time to break in as well 500-1000 miles the rings should be fully seated by then. Did you use break in oil?
Definitely not a exhaust tick no egr it's coming from the valve train it's got about 7k miles on it runs and idles perfectly just ticking

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ticking is likely a pushrod clacking against rocker arm, lifter may not be fully pumping up. I would plan to remove valve covers sooner rather then later. It could simpmy be they re used old parts and some of your pushrods and rockers were already worn

The rear two cylinders (3 and 6) have the most issues with oiling
I have hood used ohv pushrods and rocker arms if needed

Definitely not a exhaust tick no egr it's coming from the valve train it's got about 7k miles on it runs and idles perfectly just ticking
Yes not break in but conviona
Ticking when hot? Like a lifter tick? A new engine should not tick at all
Exhaust gasket? Egr leak? Or lifter/ valve train tick?

New engine needs some time to break in as well 500-1000 miles the rings should be fully seated by then. Did you use break in oil?
Ir
Ticking is likely a pushrod clacking against rocker arm, lifter may not be fully pumping up. I would plan to remove valve covers sooner rather then later. It could simpmy be they re used old parts and some of your pushrods and rockers were already worn

The rear two cylinders (3 and 6) have the most issues with oiling
I have hood used ohv pushrods and rocker arms if needed
Pushrods rockers and lifters are new could a rocker or Pushrod be bad out of the box?

New parts should not tick
Do you have warranty? Was it installed at a shop? I would seek warranty repair but it sounds like one or more lifters having issues

New parts not always as good as oem
But new parts are only as good as who installs them

Regardless if it was my engine I would be pulling the valve
Covers and remove the rocker assemblies have a look see, want to catch this sooner rather then later. It will be obvious which one is ticking by looking at the rocker arm to pushrod cup… it could be as simple as a piece of carbon blocking a passage or a lifter installed backwards or a bad aftermarket part

Do you have warranty? Was it installed at a shop? I would seek warranty repair but it sounds like one or more lifters having issues

Covers and remove the rocker assemblies have a look see, want to catch this sooner rather then later. It will be obvious which one is ticking by looking at the rocker arm to pushrod cup… it could be as simple as a piece of carbon blocking a passage or a lifter installed backwards or a bad aftermarket part
Ok if I remember right rockers wer cheap Chinese ones from ebay if that'd make a difference, if I have a lifter not pumping up fully ill be able to see which one it is from the rockers not touch the valve right?

Also 10psi of oil pressure at hot idle should be good enough to keep everything in the top end lubed with oil?

It’s at the bottom of the limits
I would not expect 10 psi from a new engine but it is what it is. What weight oil in it now? How many miles since rebuild?
I’ve had a couple of old ohv that had low oil pressure at warm idle like 15-20, these would be 93/94 engines with high miles
Psi 10 is a little low imo
It is quite possible that the lifter/pushrod issue is there always and it only because audible at higher rpm

It’s at the bottom of the limits
I would not expect 10 psi from a new engine but it is what it is. What weight oil in it now? How many miles since rebuild?
I’ve had a couple of old ohv that had low oil pressure at warm idle like 15-20, these would be 93/94 engines with high miles
Psi 10 is a little low imo
It is quite possible that the lifter/pushrod issue is there always and it only because audible at higher rpm
5w30 I switched to 10w40 but it didn't affect the tick revving engine makes it go to 45 or so psi tick is always there no matter the rpm it's got 7k miles on it

My issue on my old 4.0 OHV was a lifter not pumping up on a reman engine I got from AutoZone. I never resolved anything on it and instead did a 5.0 swap. I put that 4.0 in a mountaineer and sold it to a person I knew who drove it for 3 more years and the tick never affected it.

Oem lifters were superior to these aftermarket dudes, melling makes the best aftermarket ones but that does not mean your
Builder chose the good expensive ones

The ticking will Mushroom the end of the effected pushrods and wear a pocket into the rocker arm, every few years you can just replace those parts because getting to the lifters requires removing the heads

If it’s under warranty you could try to get them to fix it at no cost to you

Oem lifters were superior to these aftermarket dudes, melling makes the best aftermarket ones but that does not mean your
Builder chose the good expensive ones

The ticking will Mushroom the end of the effected pushrods and wear a pocket into the rocker arm, every few years you can just replace those parts because getting to the lifters requires removing the heads

If it’s under warranty you could try to get them to fix it at no cost to you
I probably should have mentioned that I investigated it to the point where I knew it was the lifter because I tore it down and put a new OEM timing chain, tensioner, and found a rocker and push rod with wear on them (replaced with OEM). The tick remained.

Back