" one to two seconds to start after 24 hs parked, pressure regulator? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

" one to two seconds to start after 24 hs parked, pressure regulator?

fabianoliver

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montevideo - Uruguay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hello, good evening, my 94 xlt takes a second or two to start after leaving it parked for 24 hours.
The engine turns but it takes a moment for the gasoline to reach the injection, could the problem be in the pressure regulator?
I'm having heavy consumption in city driving too.
Thanks!!

A second or two is not long. How old are your spark plugs? How low was the battery voltage dropping during cranking?

If you suspect low fuel pressure, measure it at the valve on the fuel rail after turning the key to the on position before starting the vehicle, or for the first test, turn key to on position and leave it there for a couple seconds, then turn it to the start/crank position.

As far as heavy consumption during driving, what is the MPG you are getting? I always get terrible fuel economy with stop and go driving around town with my '98 but this was since new, with nothing wrong, often not driving it long enough to even warm up. I mean that I often get a little below 10MPG if none of it is on highways.

There is much that could have gone wrong by now, like partially clogged fuel injectors. How is your fuel quality, is it top tier (for your region) so it has ample detergents and PEA or equivalent additive in it to keep the fuel system clean? If not, adding a fuel system cleaner to 1/2 tank of fuel is something I'd try, though it may take many miles to make a difference.

I don't know that much about troubleshooting 1st generation Explorers, besides checking for OBDI codes if the dash light is on, but would consider pulling the spark plugs to check condition and see if any look different, like evidence of misfires, look for vac leaks too.

Hi
A second or two is not long. How old are your spark plugs? How low was the battery voltage dropping during cranking?

If you suspect low fuel pressure, measure it at the valve on the fuel rail after turning the key to the on position before starting the vehicle, or for the first test, turn key to on position and leave it there for a couple seconds, then turn it to the start/crank position.

As far as heavy consumption during driving, what is the MPG you are getting? I always get terrible fuel economy with stop and go driving around town with my '98 but this was since new, with nothing wrong, often not driving it long enough to even warm up. I mean that I often get a little below 10MPG if none of it is on highways.

There is much that could have gone wrong by now, like partially clogged fuel injectors. How is your fuel quality, is it top tier (for your region) so it has ample detergents and PEA or equivalent additive in it to keep the fuel system clean? If not, adding a fuel system cleaner to 1/2 tank of fuel is something I'd try, though it may take many miles to make a difference.

I don't know that much about troubleshooting 1st generation Explorers, besides checking for OBDI codes if the dash light is on, but would consider pulling the spark plugs to check condition and see if any look different, like evidence of misfires, look for vac leaks too.
Txs JC
spark plugs, wires injectors , filters are new, as some sensors, fuel quality is ok.
I've pulled the codes with engine off: 556 and 542
seems something related to fuel pump circuit. I've no tested pressure.
What i see is that the fuel pump continue to run after the key is in on position, and it should cut after 2 seconds. Relays are tested and ok.
i'm having between 9 and 10 mpg in city. Vacuum lines seemed ok, i smell gas in the lines ( a bit not a lot), someone pointed that is a pressure regulator fault...as it can be the continuos fuel pump....any other ideas?

The pressure regulator is passive in that if it didn't work, that wouldn't cause the pump to keep running. I don't know why it might.

I'd still get a fuel pressure reading, especially having someone else turn the key so you can see what it is doing initially, and after leaving key in run position for a few moments which should keep fuel pressure steady, perhaps dropping slowly considering age of the vehicle.

Given those codes, I'd wonder if you have a bad fuel pump relay, wiring to it, or the pump itself.

Back