Project Vulture | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vulture

i atree with his advice thoigh, especially since yours is so clean and low mile! if anything id crank the bars do new leaf packs (dump the monoleaf anyways) and slap some 31s on and call it a day. spend the extra change on a winch bumper or beefing up your LS or putting auto locker. has been enough to get me on 90% of trails, and i wouldnt do it any other way! plus, if you sell, much easier to revert to stock and put the parts on another rig later on down the line

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Fix4Dirt Hmm, yes, you are correct. My information was in error. It is in fact the SOHC which delivers peak HP, not torque, at 5250 RPM; the OHV delivers peak torque at 2750 RPM according to the 1999 owner's manual, while the SOHC delivers peak torque at 3250.

Thanks, I have updated the information in my earlier post to correct this.

If I ever manage to find the LS insufficient, I'm totally going to consider the no-slip rear. I will probably never consider a LS for the front, although I could swear that the front diff required LS fluid... unless I'm remembering some thing incorrectly.

@Fix4Dirt Hmm, yes, you are correct. My information was in error. It is in fact the SOHC which delivers peak HP, not torque, at 5250 RPM; the OHV delivers peak torque at 2750 RPM according to the 1999 owner's manual, while the SOHC delivers peak torque at 3250.

Thanks, I have updated the information in my earlier post to correct this.

If I ever manage to find the LS insufficient, I'm totally going to consider the no-slip rear. I will probably never consider a LS for the front, although I could swear that the front diff required LS fluid... unless I'm remembering some thing incorrectly.
front diff doesnt need fric mod nah

@Fix4Dirt That's what I would have thought, but I forget why I was once informed otherwise. I was a noob then and didn't know much about differentials or the specifics of Explorers yet at that time. Probably some clown was just trying to pull one over on me to take my dollar.

@Fix4Dirt That's what I would have thought, but I forget why I was once informed otherwise. I was a noob then and didn't know much about differentials or the specifics of Explorers yet at that time. Probably some clown was just trying to pull one over on me to take my dollar.
fric mod is there to resuce chattering of LS clutches

no ls no fric mod needed haha, though lately i been seeing alot of fluid come w/ it already premixed

@TexasBear Well, let's see... Lots of questions, lots of answers. Lots of comments in the answers.

Firstly, @Fix4Dirt is correct, I'm running the SOHC. It has a lot more power and particularly of note delivers maximum torque at about 3250 RPM, whereas the OHV delivers its significantly smaller peak torque at 2750 RPM. Basically this means you're going to spend a lot more time on the throttle to get her moving, in all situations.

- - -

>Q1. Mine is a ‘96, so I believe we have the same truck basically. I know you mentioned wanting to re-gear at some point. Which is a big question I have, how does it drive with the 33’s?

>A1. The platform is the same. The drivetrain is significantly different. Check your door sticker and if you have axle code D2, you have 4.10:1 axle ratio, which is more ideal than the others, but not necessarily ideal for you, your drivetrain, or your personal driving habits. With the OHV you still probably want to run shorter gears (higher ratio) if you're going extreme off-road, but the daily driveability suffers badly if you go too short.

There is no short answer. Any 2nd-gen Ex requires significant modifications to fit 33" tires in the first place. All in, I can say with confidence that the tires themselves had a less significant effect than did all of the prerequisite modifications to accommodate them, which included a 2" lift front and rear, another 4" front and another 2" rear, new front and rear springs, and EXTREME fender trimming. The rear always scrubbed on flex, even with the spacers removed, until a few weeks ago when I installed OME's AAL into the spring packs.

In other words, it wasn't just the tires that made the difference. I built the truck around the tires, and the tires were chosen for the express purpose of off-road use. Such an aggressive M/T tread pattern as the Nitto Trail Grappler is far from ideal for road use, and well nigh unsafe for daily driving. If you're going to use a tamer A/T tread pattern, you'll likely be more concerned for weight than for traction on road.

I felt that the SOHC-5R55E-4.10 combo was plenty fine for daily driving on 33's, but didn't have the torque control I desired from a dedicated offroader, hence the extreme 5.13 ratio. Generally speaking, most folks prefer 4.56's or 4.88's, and I did a lot of mathematics before making my purchase.

In conclusion, with your lower-powered, lower-revving OHV, different transmission, and unknown-to-me axle gearing, my experience and opinions are not applicable to your rig.

- - -

>Q2. Obviously I would need to address other things to make room for them, but I’ve wondered if that’s worth it without changing gears. I’ve considered just putting some 31’s on it to improve footprint, without the need to lift. Of course this would be temporary as I really want to end up running 33’s.

>A2. Yes. Besides going three rounds with suspension lift kits and companies, piecing together two lifts stacked on top of each other (or get an unsafe body lift, please don't), then lastly plan on regearing both differentials. Plan on not doing it yourself unless you're already experienced, plan on paying somewhere between $1500 and $3000 inclusive for parts and labor, and plan on having new, unknown problems once it's done. You will also need to reprogram your PCM to account for the new gear ratio, as well as have your speedometer recalibrated to account for gear ratio and tire size changes. I did all of the above, except calibrate the speedometer.

- - -

>Q3. I’m old school and my head always thinks power first. There too I seem to go in circles in my head, should I just upgrade the exhaust system to include headers and higher flow system. (Although I’ve never seen anything but stock CATS) Or would that just be my initial step, followed by intake changes (cold air only or go all-in adding a turbo) do I delve inside and change cams etc.
I just keep thinking, as you pointed out, these were engineered to run a very LONG time. Plus, mine is still under 70k miles, if I don’t over modify it, it’ll last the rest of my life and still be a solid truck beyond.
Ok I’m rambling on…just let me know how much impact the 33’s have had on drivability.

>A3. The 33's and associated accommodations basically rendered it useless as a daily driver. The regear sealed its fate as a dedicated toy, as it reaches top gear in overdrive at 35 MPH and RPM's hover around 2500 at 50 MPH. Your numbers will be different from mine, as discussed before, but in any case daily duty will absolutely, unarguably suffer. If you intend to accommodate anybody under the height of 5' 8", getting in and out can be difficult, particularly for rear seat passengers.

As far as more power goes, it would likely be cheaper and more practical to just get an additional Explorer with a SOHC or V8 (V8 only if you're OK with a 4-door and no 4-low).

- - -

>Q4. Although, I would appreciate all input on the direction I could/should go. I’ve had this for a year and a half and hardly drive it, never of-road, not even in the beach. I would like to get it undercoated first since it’s rust-free.

>A4. Definitely get it undercoated. Great mod, no regrets. Would recommend to anybody who regularly visits coastal areas.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have bothered with all of this. I'd have kept it at 2" of lift, factory 4-door rear springs, and 31" tires. Do I regret what I did? Absolutely not. I love it every time I get in, but the sacrifice of daily driveability is what led me to buy a second to keep simple.

- - -

>Q5. Oh that brings up another thought I’m kicking around: I’ve been thinking of removing the carpet and having the entire floor done with headliner. There’s nothing like having to try removing sand from a carpet floor!

>A5. Do as you like. My Limited came with Motor Trend rubber floor mats that do a great job of catching all the sand, gravel, grass clippings, etc. Just take 'em out and shake 'em out. I too dislike beach sand in carpet!

- - -

My best advice? Keep your favorite Explorer as you like it. Explorers are cheap and easy to get. RTZ makes a nice torsion bar key and shackle kit which I've been using for years, they're great quality and cheap. That will be plenty enough to fit 31's without any other mods, you'll get a fat bit of clearance with minimal drawbacks, and you'll be able to enjoy factory-like performance and reliability.

Find another 4x4 Sport with whichever engine you like better (should be less than $3k) and go crazy with that one. Plan on the Rough Country or Superlift if you want 33's, and understand that at least some early 2nd-gens were not compatible with differential drop kits such as those.

33" tires are easy to want, but hard to accommodate. It requires sacrificing a great deal of what you already know and love about your Explorer. After every thing I did to make my Explorer "better", I bought another one because it was no longer suitable for daily use.
I really appreciate the time you took to address SO MANY things!
I got this thing, my first Explorer, strictly for the fun of it. I’ve had it a year and really don’t drive it much. I did take it on a short (500 mile) mini-road trip. It drive incredibly well to my surprise. It’s insanely maneuverable in parking lots, so much so, my wife likes to take it when we go too get groceries. We laugh about it every time, it’s like driving a golf cart in the parking lots. Which really makes me want to drive it off-road!!!
I would completely get onboard with you on the engine swap, except this thing hasn’t hit 70k miles yet. Therefore, I really just want to see what I can get out of this, performance wise. The engine it’s so freaking quite, it’s actually quieter than my Cadillac, which is my daily driver.
Do you know anything about the factory heads in this, is there enough meat to port them? It seems like I read somewhere that it would require after market heads, which isn’t out of the question, just not my first choice.
Let me separate things (power increase/ground clearance and suspension/tires) and see where this goes and what you think.
If I elect to get some 31’s, retain stock gears, again, especially because of the lack of wear on original equipment, how much lift would be optimal.
I really don’t think the 31’s will make much difference in drivability/power from current. However, with the improved footprint it would obviously be up to the challenge of driving in the sand vs the Highway tires it currently hosts.
I’m VERY hesitant to go the route of gaining clearance via torsion bar tweek as I am very concerned with how that’ll effect the ride. I’m not interested in a hay wagon LOL
SO, let me stop there and get your input, and anyone else of course. I have lots of experience building and customizing but never had one of these so…I’m here to learn

@DemonMudder I won't take credit where it isn't due; but as many hours as I've spent browsing the web to see what's available for Explorers, and buying this part for a Ranger and that part for an Explorer, and mishmashing together double- and triple-stacked lift kits and going three rounds with a garage that did good work once and bad work twice, and chasing down a mystery problem for several years (TOD) since the regear, not even to begin to describe countless hours spent on, under, and around the truck in my back yard, I can say I've been around the block a few times on this subject, ha ha.

Off-road payoff: it ate all of the trails at Uwharrie National Forest except the two most difficult ones (didn't attempt those, with limited rear flex at the time) without even thinking about it really, just hand on the wheel and foot on the gas (uphill) or brake (downhill) and I only had to get out once, to look at the other side of a rock before maneuvering past it. You can search those up to see how much trouble they give other people.

I forgot to even mention fuel economy, but my MPG's roughly stick around 10-12 now, and highway range has gone down to about 200-250 miles per tank. For comparison, my stock Limited gets about 20 MPG, according to its onboard calculator.
Yeah, that’sa deal breaker for me, I definitely don’t want to go down to that range per tank. There’s just not enough power for me to be ok with that fuel consumption. Thanks!

sound advice here ^

one correction however: the ohv makes 225 twist at 3k iirc the sohc makes 350 at 3250 or something like that. and the sohc redlines higher than ohv, old ohv iirc up to 95 redlined really early i think it was 5k??? and later ones 6k flat, but sohc goes til 6300. heres how i see it- theres a rrason they put the sohc in the stabg, its much more like a car motor. revs higher, more power ij the upper band. up til 3k the 2 motors feel pretty close, maybe sohc fasterbby a tiny margin? who knows, but its small, if at all. but past 3250/3500 the sohc really pulls much harder, since it makes about 45 more hp and the curve doesnt fall off like the ohv does, and you can feel that variable mani haha. tldr: ohv more like truck motor, has off the line power, falls tlat merging and passing, sohc more like car motor, off the line pretty close, sohc pulls away at higher rpm

in addition- i dont think his truck wouldve come with 410s stock since i dont know of any 96 that came with the 16s i think yours did. iirc ford issued 410s only to rigs with 16s vs 15s since 16s had 30 inch tires cs the 28 or 29 or whatveer they were
Oh I did find this looking into info on the motor in the 96, wondering how much a moderate cam could improve that
Horsepower net:119 kW / 162 PS / 160 hp (SAE net)
/ 4200
Torque net:305 Nm / 225 ft-lb
/ 2800

Me to lol
Love the power
Your exhaust is just fine even if you do add some form of forced induction
By the way my wife has put tons of miles on our engine with forced induction and it's fine it'll last forever as long as you don't try to break it lol
Can you provide details on that, which motor and what you’re running on it
I don’t want to get crazy with the thing, definitely have to keep in mind the drive train, but I would like to boost it up a bit

Can you provide details on that, which motor and what you’re running on it
I don’t want to get crazy with the thing, definitely have to keep in mind the drive train, but I would like to boost it up a bit
I run 10 pounds boost from a m90 supercharger with the lots of methanol injection big injectors and other stuff on my wife's 4.0 sohc v6

I made a complete diary on the build
Hope this helps

Remember speed costs money and I spent some

Perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to separate these topics into different threads.

@TexasBear Always good to share information/experience.

While I have done a great deal to the suspension, besides a K&N intake kit and a hack-job splash shield for it, my engine is stock. I cannot answer any questions related to engine modifications. All of my Explorers have been SOHC's, so my knowledge of the OHV is extremely limited.

@donalds can be a touch more helpful than I, since he has done it all, and he might be able to help with sources for parts, but he also has a SOHC, so your experience would differ somewhat from his.

I would strongly advise against an engine swap. Or any heavy modification, really - just not worth the cost, and again, you'd lose the simple reliability that the OHV offers. Those OHV's will run for longer than 200k with minimal maintenance, just watch for leaks at its age as parts deteriorate over time. It is much, much cheaper and easier to just buy a whole second Explorer, they can be had for cheaper than a new set of tires.

All you need is the RTZ torsion bar key / leaf spring shackle kit (can be had on Amazon.com for about $150) and a set of somewhat longer shock absorbers (highly recommend Rancho RS5000X for a 1-3" lift). Configure for 2" of lift front and rear, slap some 31's on that baby, and call it a day! If that doesn't take you everywhere you want to go, buy a second Ex to mod all to Mecca and back, but don't tear up your favorite toy.

Perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to separate these topics into different threads.

@TexasBear Always good to share information/experience.

While I have done a great deal to the suspension, besides a K&N intake kit and a hack-job splash shield for it, my engine is stock. I cannot answer any questions related to engine modifications. All of my Explorers have been SOHC's, so my knowledge of the OHV is extremely limited.

@donalds can be a touch more helpful than I, since he has done it all, and he might be able to help with sources for parts, but he also has a SOHC, so your experience would differ somewhat from his.

I would strongly advise against an engine swap. Or any heavy modification, really - just not worth the cost, and again, you'd lose the simple reliability that the OHV offers. Those OHV's will run for longer than 200k with minimal maintenance, just watch for leaks at its age as parts deteriorate over time. It is much, much cheaper and easier to just buy a whole second Explorer, they can be had for cheaper than a new set of tires.

All you need is the RTZ torsion bar key / leaf spring shackle kit (can be had on Amazon.com for about $150) and a set of somewhat longer shock absorbers (highly recommend Rancho RS5000X for a 1-3" lift). Configure for 2" of lift front and rear, slap some 31's on that baby, and call it a day! If that doesn't take you everywhere you want to go, buy a second Ex to mod all to Mecca and back, but don't tear up your favorite toy.
Nice, in-a-nutshell response, thanks

I have come to the decision that it is time to apply some kind of bed liner or some better protective coating than paint (or Plasti-Dip) to my fender wells. The bottom front corner scrubs the tires when flexing at full lock, and where I go and with what I do, this is getting more common.

Left Uwharrie with bare metal showing, so I nabbed some Herculiner at the parts store, removed the remaining Plasti-Dip, sanded the surface down nice and good, and sprayed on about 6 layers of Herculiner, giving 24 hours to cure between layers. Guess that wasn't long enough, because I took The Vulture out for a run the other day and came back with bare metal showing again.

Next time I'll be leaving it on there for 12-24 hours between layers, probably 6 layers again, but let the last layer cure for about a month before wheeling it again. Any advice or suggestions for Herculiner application is welcome. For the record, I am using the spray-on type in the rattle cans.

And before you all say it, yes, I know to keep it off my hootus. I am concerned with how to keep it ON my truck.

And before you all say it, yes, I know to keep it off my hootus. I am concerned with how to keep it ON my truck.
Hopefully! Or do, be funny to have another one of those to read through! lol

@DemonMudder May be I'll do it, ya know, for science. I get bits of it on my hands when applying, and it comes right off my hands too. May be the spray-on stuff just isn't in the game with the two-stage stuff.

@DemonMudder May be I'll do it, ya know, for science. I get bits of it on my hands when applying, and it comes right off my hands too. May be the spray-on stuff just isn't in the game with the two-stage stuff.
next up on project farm

Nothing you put on that metal will stay there if the tire is rubbing it off

Best bet is to clearance the metal so it clears the tire, then coat it

@410Fortune Figures. Well, the only way to make it clear now is to cut and weld, and I'm not down for that yet. Guess I'll just keep applying this, or Plasti-Dip, or some thing to cover it up whenever it rubs off. It isn't rusting since I keep it covered, but having to touch it up after every major event is a minor inconvenience.

The Plasti-Dip stayed on there for the better part of a year, and it took Uwharrie to scrape it off. Respectable, for something that doesn't advertise itself as any thing special.

Not sure what an alignment will do for the old gal; I haven't gotten one since the tri[p, but I noticed that the left LCA is at a different angle from the right, and the left front wheel has more negative camber than the right. Adjusted the left T-bar bolt in by roughly 5 turns (I didn't count carefully) to address the left side sagging and scrubbing more than the right, and that didn't seem to affect the difference in angle. Not sure what gives there. Might need to inspect my UCA's and see if all that thrashing bent anything.

It has a slight pull to the driver's side, which it has had since its last alignment (alignment place complained about camber adjustment the last two times; might be time for a camber kit or some thing).

And of course, the elusive TOD issues... The saga continues as long as the truck keeps driving, and I intend to keep it driving (at least off-road) for a long time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went out this morning to find this:

20230923_230836.jpg

20230923_065715.jpg

20230923_231249.jpg

Tropical storm Ophelia has left her mark... weak! I count myself blessed for having lost nothing but a roof bar. Could have been a lot worse. There's a dent above the left quarter panel window that I don't remember, but who's keeping score?

Ended up driving her over 100 miles today due to events related to the storm, and sheesh, she is a thirsty beast. 5.13's and highways don't mix.

I wonder if the tree had the slightest idea what was going to happen to it when I got home.

Back