T-5 or Atlass II? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T-5 or Atlass II?

I did a search on this because I didnt wanna start an unnecessary thread, so i searched on the T-5 and Atlass trannies because I've been curious with everyone talking about them. I didnt find exactly what I wanted though, so maybe somebody can help.

So...What is the main difference between the two? Which is better for what? What is the availability? How much $$$$?

I've been wanting to know, because I'm sort of expanding my horizons and getting into stuff in the drivetrain and all sorts of other important parts. Thanks alot guys,

~Grant

Actually the Atlas is a transfer case, and the T-5 is a semi heavy duty manual tranny, well a lot better than the Mazda 5 spd we got, but nothing compared to tremecs and what not.

Told ya I didnt know anything about 'em! ;)

Well Grant, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Here's a bit of info on the AtlasII transfercase.
It is a gear driven transfercase, unlike the stock transfercase which is chain driven.
Everything is made heavy duty and the case is much bigger.
I had to install a body lift in order to get it to fit under the truck or you would have to modify the t-case crossmember which would make it stick down lower than the stock t-case.
The stock t-case low gear is 2.4:1 ratio
The AtlasII t-case low gear comes in 3.0, 3.78, and 4.2:1 ratios.
The 3.0 and 3.78 are recommended for automatics, and the 4.2 is recommended for manual trannys, because they say that an automatic wouldn't be able to stop the 4.2 by stepping on the brake.
You will also have to have a new front driveshaft made, because the old one won't fit, and you can't modify a driveshaft.
The cost for an AtlasII with a 3.78:1 ratio is $2300.00.
The cost for an AtlasII with a 4.2:1 ratio is $2500.00.
This transfercase is almost bullet proof, and to date no one has broken one yet.
If you install one in a 95+ Explorer with control-trac, you will not longer have control trac, as this is a manul transfercase that has 2 shift leavers. One to control the front axle and the other to control the rear axle.
although my 4wheel drive switch doesn't work, I noticed that if I don't turn the switch to the 4wd mode, that my OD light will start to flash, when I'm 4wheeling. Likewise if I am in 2wd and at higher speeds and my switch is in 4wd, the OD light will flash there too. Turning the switch to auto will make it go out. So even though I have a manual t-case I still have to change the switch.

Back