• Register Today It's free!

Transmission overheating

Mtraeb101

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLS 4.0
Hello all, I have a 2006 explorer 4.0 4x4 I rebuilt the transmission about 3,500 miles ago and haven’t had any problems. This past weekend my wife and I went to visit my family in GA (about 350 miles one way) and the car was doing great not much stop and go traffic wasn’t dogging on it just running the speed limit air temp was about 75-80° and we got about 15 miles from my dads house and the trans pissed out all the fluid out the top breather vent. As soon as it happened the rpm’s flared and I looked in the rear view mirror and it was pouring smoke from the fluid hitting the exhaust, I immediately shifted to neutral and coasted off the road. My dad towed us back to his house and about 3/4 hours later the headers on the engine were cool to the touch but the bell housing was about as hot as the temperature of the sun so the following morning we put it on a lift and dropped the pan and the fluid was as burnt as could be there was NO chunky bits, No glitter, No brass, No metal at all in the pan just a tiny bit of clutch material. So we let it drain and put new fluid in it and triple checked the fluid level and took it for a test drive with a scanner hooked up and we observed that the transmission wasn’t cooling so we went back and started check the cooler lines, radiator, and cooler, no holes or anything the lines were cool to the touch would up bypassing the radiator and it helped some but not much it has a new cooler and superior shift kit in it. We would up undoing the cooler lines and running them into separate jugs and we’re not getting any cooler flow what could cause this? Burnt pump? The transmission shifts great no flares no shudders nothing the only code it throws is P1783 for the trans temp. Any help would be great because we are stumped.

I don't know much about it but seem to remember there is a valve that turns off the trans fluid from flowing until it warms to a certain temp. If so, yours is not opening.

Welcome to the site. I'm no expert so, bear with me.

When your rebuilt the trans, did you blowout/clean the trans cooler lines through the radiator? Did you replace the t/converter?

With the bellhousing still "hot as the sun" and it puking all the fluid out the breather. It sounds like there is a blockage at the pump or possibly a failure at the pump causing the converter to heat up.

Welcome to the site. I'm no expert so, bear with me.

When your rebuilt the trans, did you blowout/clean the trans cooler lines through the radiator? Did you replace the t/converter?

With the bellhousing still "hot as the sun" and it puking all the fluid out the breather. It sounds like there is a blockage at the pump or possibly a failure at the pump causing the converter to heat up.
All the line have been blown out with an air compressor and same with the cooler also added a second cooler because I intended to haul my boat with it. Has new torque converter and when we rebuilt it we put a superior shift kit in it so it has the sure-cool cooler flow valve in it.

Back