1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 42 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Nope no concerns the engine will pull right up and out of there. It is tight, but she fits as long as you are careful. You can pull a 5.0 with both exhaust manifolds in place no problem, I do it all the time (I have pulled 100 of these)
Awesome! Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. It's about ready to pull. I just need a free hour to put it on the hook.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_7642.jpeg

IMG_7643.jpeg

@SuperGordo Is your Explorer a 1997 or early 1998? You have the same "twisty" headers as my '96.5 Mountaineer 5.0...

It’s gotta be a 96-97 he has the oil cooler too as well as the egr port in the lower intake
96 would have round airbox

Seems like Half way through 96 the round airbox went away

The port in the lower intake stayed there till I dunno late 98? The upper intake had no hole in it and it stopped there then in 99 no more hole in the middle of the lower

Then there are the mountaineers… we see some strange things. Clear cutoff dates I have no idea but basically
96-97 non p heads internal egr
97.5-98 p heads external egr still return fuel
98.5-01 returnless fuel

I go by the door stickers for build dates not the titles because sometimes I have a title sometimes I don’t and the titles are always inside in the file cabinet so the door sticker it my guide

There are at
Least 3 lower intakes and 3 upper intake possible
Combos

Seems like Half way through 96 the round airbox went away

The port in the lower intake stayed there till I dunno late 98? The upper intake had no hole in it and it stopped there then in 99 no more hole in the middle of the lower

Then there are the mountaineers… we see some strange things. Clear cutoff dates I have no idea but basically
96-97 non p heads internal egr
97.5-98 p heads external egr still return fuel
98.5-01 returnless fuel

I go by the door stickers for build dates not the titles because sometimes I have a title sometimes I don’t and the titles are always inside in the file cabinet so the door sticker it my guide

There are at
Least 3 lower intakes and 3 upper intake possible
Combos
So the new engine going in is a 99. It doesnt not have the egr port in the lower intake. The 98 engine does have the port. Is that a problem? Id sure like to not have to swap intakes at this point.

So the new engine going in is a 99. It doesnt not have the egr port in the lower intake. The 98 engine does have the port. Is that a problem? Id sure like to not have to swap intakes at this point.
I believe you’re also going to have issues with the injectors. The 99 should be a return less fuel line setup, and the pressures are different between the two.

I believe you’re also going to have issues with the injectors. The 99 should be a return less fuel line setup, and the pressures are different between the two.
I'm reusing the injectors and fuel lines from the original. The injectors were all new in 2021. Keeping all that.

I disassembled the trans today. Nothing horrible going on in there, but it is definitely a good time for a rebuild. The Belleville spring in the reverse drum is broken in 2 places. OD band is overheated. Direct clutches were getting hot. Forward clutches were getting thin for sure. Need to make a shopping list for Monday. See if I can allot enough spare time this week to build this trans by the weekend. Fingers crossed.

The 97 style center port in the intake will be fine. It simply dead ends at the 99 upper intake / gasket. Pretty common.
Good luck with the transmission

Don't rush yourself and f up your transmission;)
I do appreciate that. Definitely don't want to mess anything up. What I'm mostly hoping for is some free time for this project so that I can get it done.
Funny how time works. When I first started this in 2021 I was able to hammer some serious hours at the EX. Now since July it has been a real challenge trying to put time in to get this back on the road.

Tailshaft bushing is definitely worn out. Kind of hard to tell, but on the bottom left the bushing is about 30% thinner they the rest of it.
IMG_7663.jpeg

IMG_7664.jpeg

Had the driveshaft rebuilt and balanced with new Spicer U joints. Picking up 15 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V tomorrow. Then stopping to pickup the new torque converter and all the rebuild parts. Also adding a trans pan with a drain plug to make regular fluid changes easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back