Fourth Gen Explorer Door Panel Removel Procedure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fourth Gen Explorer Door Panel Removel Procedure

The SuphiX

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Baurer
Hello,

Below you will find me disassembling the door panel of a fourth generation explorer. This was all on the run as I have had bad luck when researching the proper method. Ok, on with the pictures :) This entire process was done with a 15$ installation kit from Walmart :)

Here is a link that will show you the only tools that are need throughout this procedure.

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/1573

1000000239.jpg

Okay, in the picture above you will notice the very first thing I did was remove the small cover panel that is simply attached by some push in clips. Just simply get in between the seem and pull. Just don't go all hulk hogan or anything lol. Removing this panel will reveal two screws that can be removed with a socket. Not exactly sure what size but it was pretty small.

1000000240.jpg

Next thing I did was pull out the power controls which can simply be lifted out.

1000000241.jpg

Then I proceeded with detaching the clip plug-ins.

1000000242.jpg

In this image you will see that I removed another small panel that is covering an additional two small srecw located underneath.

1000000243.jpg

The last set of screws are located at the bottom, one on the left and one on the right.

1000000244.jpg

The final step is lifting the complete door panel UP! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to pull out lol. (Thats what she said) I had to learn this the hard way. When I was checking for any additional screws, I slightly was pulling the panel outwards to me to check for any resistence to try and locate any additional screws. So I began to pull, and pull, and then SNAP! Broke a clip, so again, just lift up, I advise to lock the door that way it will be easier to manuver above the lock.

As you can see, it was hanging buy a wire, that wire is the handle release I believe, and I didn't want to pull it out being unsure or taking any risks attempting to re-insert it. The next few pictures will show the rest of my installation of my newly purchased door speakers bought from a friend (S.Deyoung) over at SSA that can also be purchased from their store. Also you will notice me using an adapter that I purchased from Car-Speaker-Adapters. I would highly recommend them but in my case, there was some modification needed to open the entry hole. If you would like, you can view my installation over at

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/53162-incriminator-audio-i-series-65-co-axial-intall-in-07-explorer/

And while your there, go ahead and sign up! On with the pictures :D

1000000245.jpg

1000000246.jpg

1000000247.jpg

1000000248.jpg

1000000249.jpg

1000000250.jpg

1000000251.jpg

1000000252.jpg

1000000253.jpg

1000000254.jpg

Thanks for looking! Please comment or ask any questions :D

So, how much better the speakers sound? Thanks for the write up. I'm planning something upgrading my speakers. This steps will help me (give me a better idea how to remove panel) when I'm ready to do my upgrade.

Back