The Turbo 4.0L Explorer project... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Turbo 4.0L Explorer project...

Started a similar topic over in the the modified section, but figured it would be more helpfull in this section.. Mods, feel free to axe the other thread..

Here is the truck:
explorer_clean.jpg

Fuel management, (megasquirt)
explorer_ms.jpg

Turbo install
turbo_done_1.jpg

Currently at 4psi and working good... Turbo is a T4 with a .50 compressor and 1.18 exhaust.. I threw this setup together over the weekend with the spare parts I had laying around..

Cheers,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I had all those spare parts laying around!

:)

:troops:

let me know how that tranny holds up

Very neat (drool). I guess you aren't worried that you will be breaking your bellhousing/driveshaft/rearend like you did on the Z huh?

Ever going to update your website with your current machines?

Chris.

Thanks guys..

scaperrotta06 - I've done a bit of tuning, but want to get a wideband before I go too crazy.. There is a dyno coming to town in about 3 weeks, so I may be tempted to put it on for sh*ts and giggles..

buckshotmudder - I went through the tranny with seals and clutches 1.5 years ago, so I hope it will live for a few more years yet..

wood1 - Thanks, I have been meaning to update my website.. Got rid of the TTZ28 a few years ago and put the drivetrain in this:

300zx_angle.jpg

engine_done_again.jpg

Only fitting that the tow vehical is turbo'd as well.. ;)

Cheers,

Humida humida humida wow!! very nice 300zx!!

Is it just the one bank(asymmetric) feeding the turbo or are both banks?

Thanks,

carlover - It's a SBC 350.. Power is unknown, hoping to hit the dyno in a few weeks with the car and truck when it is in town..

IAmTodd - I modified the stock Y-pipe and routed it up to the turbo.. Pretty tight fit, but it works..

Plan on putting some 30lb injectors I have in the garage in the truck soon.. Looking at some data logs, the injectors are running 186% duty cycle at 4psi... lol.. Not too good..

Cheers,

Wow, amac, I have the same colored '94 Limited, I bought mine in Ontario, Canada :) & then moved to the Moncton area of NB...:)...now I'm in England with it..

the multicolored Z is sick

Hey Andrew, that 300 is a nice machine, seems to me I remember seeing some video of you driving it... hopefully you can dyno the two and post your numbers soon.

Regards,
Chris

UKExploder - Nice! Small world isn't it?

Xan - Got tired of the Camaro and wanted something different.. This car weighs 3395 pounds with the conversion done.. (which is about 10 lbs LIGHTER than this particular model from factory.. TT's are even heavier).

wood1 - It's looking better and better all the time.. I think they finally decided on a date to bring the dyno down to our city.. Looks like Sept 9th..

Well, on the weekend I put some 30lb injectors in to get my duty cycles down from 186%.. Also put a manual boost controller in to help spool the turbo quicker and to push the boost up to a still conservative 6psi..

Also ripped my wideband setup out of the Z car and found that when my wastegate would start to open, the A/F would drop really quickly to 10:1.. (which is as far as the LC-1 will read.. super rich)

Thought it was too rich, but as I was backing fuel off, I started to hear detonation (and the A/F never changed).. I have now come to the conclusion that since my wastegate is vented to atmoshphere, that this must be causing the funky readings.. Going to route my WG back into the exhaust and re-mount my O2 in a better spot for a better reading..

Picked up a couple of gauges too.. Autometer A/F and boost.. Haven't decided where to put them yet though.. pics to come..

Cheers,

I've seen a nice install of a boost gauge (I think boost) above the power mirror switch on the door, you could probably make somthing to fit two gauges there... I hate hacking up the factory dash...

The first time I dyno'd my 5.0 I was living across the Bay from you Andrew just a quick ferry ride to NS.

She made almost exactly a HP/cube.

I am very interested in your install, I have a couple turbos from K-cars in my garage that I am itching to stick in something. Do you think one of them would do a 4.0 justice in a low boost install? Say 4-5 PSI?

Chris.

Nice setup with teh turbo rides but I hate LAG

Turbo and centrifigulas are okay. But i hate lag POSTIVE DISPLACEMENT SUPERCHAGERS WITH SOME GIGGLE GAS NOW WERE TALKING FUN

there's a couple pics of the motor in my stang before i sold it a couple weeks ago at the link below

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/623818

When I let it go it was making litle over 540 RWHP and about 560TQ out of a .030 DSS racing 306 shortblock with a lot of head and cam work. Superchagers are pstive displacement theres no lag the setup was pullied for 12-15 psi and I also ran a 150 shot of giggle juice on top they like to run hot.. man was it fun to drive.

It's the blue 83 with white hood in this burnout video right after the cop shows up near the end from a Mustang form I belong too as well Stangbangerz.. which this coming Feb or March we will have a showing on PINKS.

http://media.putfile.com/Stangbangerz-Fall-2005-Burnouts-Clip-4

I have a 69 351w shortblock im going to rebuild with a 671 blower in the next couple of years and stuff in the 01 sport for fun

How late does that huge exhaust housing make it spool? What turbine is in that thing?

I have a 57trim if you need it- it would probably lower your IATs and spool sooner. I wont give you crap about the engine bay being yellow here like I did at TM :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha i had a yellow engine bay in my t-bird (when i bought it) when i overhauled the engine i painted the engine red we set the engine in place then pulled it back out and painted the engine bay black cause it looked horrible:D

Back