• Register Today It's free!

1996 5.0 swap wiring help

Andrewgt40

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport trac
I cant find the info i need for the swap. Its a 1996 5.0 because fxck PATS . Im not going to deal with that or the abs to G censor . Ive got absolutely no clue on what needs to be modified on my st harnesses to work the the harnesses off the 96 5.0. ive got the ecu, trans and engine harnesses for the 5.0 and 4r70 transmission. What exactly am i supposed to do to my existing harness? Ive already got the things needed for the return line mods .Im going to make a youtube video on this so for once its actually covered on how to do the the fxckin swap lol. Im surprised no body has actually done this yet .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks but it doesn't talk about the 96/97 5L . Mine is completely different. This is for the 98+ 5L my vss is from the trans and i dont have or want PATS .

well we don't even know what year your sport trac is
Is this 4wd or RWD?
This is not Pirate4x4, if you want help with your conversion be nice :)

When dealing with a sport trac it is MUCH EASIER to install a 98-01 5.0 drivetrain because the 98-01 has returnless fuel and the pats security system is compatible with the 01-02 trac, also the sport tracs all have a rear axle speed sensor, once you remove the v6 the sport tracs main VSS is now gone........leaving you just the rear axle speed sensor to use., your 96 uses a tail housing speed sensor... you will still need to convert the speedometer signal, whether you want to mess with the G force sensor or not, the sport trac does not care as it will not work with the 96 sensor from the tail housing :)

Fitting the 96 5.0 drivetrain can still be done, buy you have actually created more work for yourself by choosing the 96 donor.
Nobody is going to just give you a wiring harness "map" because every single conversion is different so there is no "map" there are even mid year changes to the 5.0 wiring harness'.

I have converted a "few" trucks to 5.0 (like more then 10) I can help, but do not come here thinking you know it all because I can assure you do not. Unless you have done this before? Clearly you have not. Go back and read your first two posts here, they do not sound like someone who is asking for help nicely, they read like somebody who already has it all figured out and just wants free info handed to them. No such thing!!

You see when people get deep into these conversions and cannot figure them out, well that's when they bring them to me.....
You can look all over the web, there is only ONE place you will find ALL of the info you need.... I am the one who wrote it all down and catalogs these conversions...SVO comes close, you can find info on TRS, ranger forums, here on the explorer forum and others.... there are bits and pieces of these conversions all over the web, but only ONE person who covers EVERY ASPECT from start to finish and he is typing this to you right now.

I used a 97 setup in my 01 ranger. I cut the 6cyl harnesss up and mated to the v8 harness. Only had about 6 or 8 wires that didn't match up perfectly. I had to loop the pats wiring to energize the starter relay with the 97 computer. 30k miles later no issues. Get the wiring manuals from Ford (plenty on ebay) and go to work.

01 ranger too easy! Sport trac is more like a 02-05 Ranger.........

N
I used a 97 setup in my 01 ranger. I cut the 6cyl harnesss up and mated to the v8 harness. Only had about 6 or 8 wires that didn't match up perfectly. I had to loop the pats wiring to energize the starter relay with the 97 computer. 30k miles later no issues. Get the wiring manuals from Ford (plenty on ebay) and go to work.
Nice do you recall what wires had to be modified ? I know the ranger and sport trac 42 pins are similar

well we don't even know what year your sport trac is
Is this 4wd or RWD?
This is not Pirate4x4, if you want help with your conversion be nice :)

When dealing with a sport trac it is MUCH EASIER to install a 98-01 5.0 drivetrain because the 98-01 has returnless fuel and the pats security system is compatible with the 01-02 trac, also the sport tracs all have a rear axle speed sensor, once you remove the v6 the sport tracs main VSS is now gone........leaving you just the rear axle speed sensor to use., your 96 uses a tail housing speed sensor... you will still need to convert the speedometer signal, whether you want to mess with the G force sensor or not, the sport trac does not care as it will not work with the 96 sensor from the tail housing :)

Fitting the 96 5.0 drivetrain can still be done, buy you have actually created more work for yourself by choosing the 96 donor.
Nobody is going to just give you a wiring harness "map" because every single conversion is different so there is no "map" there are even mid year changes to the 5.0 wiring harness'.

I have converted a "few" trucks to 5.0 (like more then 10) I can help, but do not come here thinking you know it all because I can assure you do not. Unless you have done this before? Clearly you have not. Go back and read your first two posts here, they do not sound like someone who is asking for help nicely, they read like somebody who already has it all figured out and just wants free info handed to them. No such thing!!

You see when people get deep into these conversions and cannot figure them out, well that's when they bring them to me.....
You can look all over the web, there is only ONE place you will find ALL of the info you need.... I am the one who wrote it all down and catalogs these conversions...SVO comes close, you can find info on TRS, ranger forums, here on the explorer forum and others.... there are bits and pieces of these conversions all over the web, but only ONE person who covers EVERY ASPECT from start to finish and he is typing this to you right now.
Not once....did i say i know what i was doing and i clearly stated that . Its a 02 gen 1 4wd sport trac

"What exactly am i supposed to do to my existing harness?"

Research, buy books and take notes

"Im going to make a youtube video on this so for once its actually covered on how to do the the fxckin swap lol. Im surprised no body has actually done this yet ."

There is a reason there is no complete "how to guide" don't you think? You see where this statement could sound a little arrogant to those of us who do these conversions, like this whole time we have just been waiting for you to come along and show the world how its done? I mean seriously it comes across all wrong!!!!!! Ive been converting these trucks since the 90's and I have spent COUNTLESS hours posting info online for others. I have over 80 hours of BUILD TIME in the wiring harness that is in my BII and that does not include the research done to get me that far. The last truck I did (2000 Explorer to 2000 Ranger) there was literally 5 wires to deal with. The last 02 sport trac I did there were about 20.......they are all different.

So lets start fresh, I will try to help

Okay so now we know 02 trac 4wd, job 1 What is the build date? Are you sure its a job 1?

And the donor is a 96 AWD

Are you going to keep AWD or convert to a true 4x4 transfer case?

There is no reason to be afraid of PATS.

"What exactly am i supposed to do to my existing harness?"

Research, buy books and take notes

"Im going to make a youtube video on this so for once its actually covered on how to do the the fxckin swap lol. Im surprised no body has actually done this yet ."

There is a reason there is no complete "how to guide" don't you think?

Okay so now we know 01 trac 4wd, job 1

And the donor is a 96 AWD

Are you going to keep AWD or convert to a true 4x4 transfer case?
4406 t case no awd

You will need custom driveshafts when you are done
Will you be using a 4406 e shift or manual shift?

I cut my original v6 engine harness to extend my v8 harness to reach my body plug. Rangers are different than explorers/sport trac in wiring so my direct wiring will not help you. Most of the wiring colors are the same between the years. The wiring books can be had for like $20 each. Best investment you'll make. Even all data and Mitchell 1 won't be as good the one Ford manuals.
rps20140510_081747.jpg

4406 t case no awd
Also lol this is why im asking ...its researching. Finding info online about a 96/97 to a sport trac isnt exactly as easy as the 98+ once its done yes im going to make a video on a 96/97 1/2 below swap. Lots of guys dont want PATS
I cut my original v6 engine harness to extend my v8 harness to reach my body plug. Rangers are different than explorers/sport trac in wiring so my direct wiring will not help you. Most of the wiring colors are the same between the years. The wiring books can be had for like $20 each. Best investment you'll make. Even all data and Mitchell 1 won't be as good the one Ford manuals. View attachment 325237
Like a haynes manual or something like that ?

Haynes manuals don’t have any real useful info for the swap. Look for a factory repair CD, the wiring info they have is very solid.

There’s nothing difficult, or unreliable with PATS. If dealing with the PATS is too much issue the rest of the swap will bury you. The newer drivetrains are better than the 96s.

I wouldn’t call “hey exactly how do I do this” research.

Haynes manuals don’t have any real useful info for the swap. Look for a factory repair CD, the wiring info they have is very solid.

There’s nothing difficult, or unreliable with PATS. If dealing with the PATS is too much issue the rest of the swap will bury you. The newer drivetrains are better than the 96s.

I wouldn’t call “hey exactly how do I do this” research.
Its not that PATS is too much ...its that i dont want it .i dont like having to have keys programmed . I can get everything from the junkyard for less than 600$ and ford wants 100$ to program pats and then key programing is extra. And looking up 96/97 swap info isnt exactly as easy as the 98+ is. Thats why im asking .

Its not that PATS is too much ...its that i dont want it .i dont like having to have keys programmed . I can get everything from the junkyard for less than 600$ and ford wants 100$ to program pats and then key programing is extra. And looking up 96/97 swap info isnt exactly as easy as the 98+ is. Thats why im asking .
If you really wanted to you can program it all at home, by yourself for considerably cheaper. Once you have 2 keys made you can program any you need with just the truck.

You can bypass and rest PATS at home with out ford vcm ?
If you really wanted to you can program it all at home, by yourself for considerably cheaper. Once you have 2 keys made you can program any you need with just the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using FORScan and a laptop and dongle you can clear the PATS keys in the computer and add new ones.

Back