1998 Explorer PATS ignition lock cylinder replacement - lost keys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer PATS ignition lock cylinder replacement - lost keys

Hurbold

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport OHV
So, figured I'd throw this out there for the next guy...

Had an interesting night a week back and lost the only key to my Explorer. Ford couldn't cut keys because the truck's too old. Called a locksmith and he wanted $245.

Instead, I bought a new Strattec cylinder and 2 new keys cut to the lock for around $50 off eBay.

To get the old lock out without a key, simply pop off the plastic part with a pair of Vise Grips or whatever, and grab the metal nub that's sticking out after you pull it off with the same Vise Grips. Lock it down REAL tight and turn the pliers clockwise until the lock breaks. Afterward, take out the three screws in the bottom of the shroud and pull it out of the way. Look for the spot where you can depress the little silver button that will allow the cylinder to pop out. Use the vise grips to turn the ignition to the "on" position. Stick the precision screwdriver in the spot to depress the "button" (you'll know when you've got it right) and use the Vise Grips to yank the old ignition out. Slap the new one in. Then get the locksmith out to clear the computer. Spend your 100 bucks savings on beer and steak.

Hope this helps someone.

I'm gonna go get me a spare key made soon...even more beer and steaks

Back