2-2.5" lift.. how should I go about it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2-2.5" lift.. how should I go about it?

HeavyFoot

Reaction score
City, State
Vantucky, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT 4x4
I want to mildly lift my Explorer.. it needs new spring eventually anyways. I'll get Deaver's for the rear regardless next year.

My first inclination is to simply use something like the Skyjacker 2" lift springs and a warrior shackle in the rear.. figured $220ish + shipping for those and $170+ shipping for the shocks I would need. So about $400+S&H and pretty minimal labor... would definitely need camber bushings but those are only $10 at Rock Auto, and I need to talk to my alignment shop they may just have the ones I would need anyways. I should also replace my pivot bushings at the same time...

The other thought was.. why not go with the James Duff 2.5" Stage 1.5 lift that for that extra $200 comes with drop brackets for the radius arms and axle pivots. Seems like a deal to me... except I hate grinding rivets with a passion :rolleyes: I've done a shackle flip on old Chevy's.. that sucked.

On the positive side.. no more rivets on my radius arm brackets as the PO had the bushings replaced and the shop that did it put new grade 8 hardware in. So I'd only have to grind the driver side axle pivot.

Did I mention I hate rivets? :rolleyes:

What say you guys.... is the JD kit worth the extra labor? I'm a DIYer, have many hand tools, a nice 1/2" Milwaukee drill, a sawzall, and an angle grinder... :cool:

I'm shooting for installing on Thanksgiving week as I'll have it off work and that's still early enough where we shouldn't have any snow....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're going to do ANY kind of offroading, get the JD kit.

I second that.jd kits are GREAT.what size tire do you plan on running?i would go with a 4"lift and the extended ra arms.worth EVERY penny.i would go as far to say its the best kit on the market.

Personally i wouldn't spend over $50 4 a suspension lift under 2".i wouldn't even do one unless its 4" or more.body lifts look good on our trucks and are cheap.plus you can't clear but 32s on less than 4" so all depends on how hard you plan on wheeling it and what size tires you want

.plus you can't clear but 32s on less than 4"

2" lift, 34" tires:
22853970400_medium.jpg

That looks more than a 2" lift or not 34.how much did you trim.i had 33x12.50 and 5.5 lift and didn't clear without trimming

I have been using the skyjacker 2" kit for years. The performance has been great and I have not had a single problem with the kit. I dont see the reason for another .5" of lift with the JD kit UNLESS you go with their extended radius arms as well.

I made my own extended radius arms to work with my Skyjacker 2" lift which improved the ride both on and off road.

And you can fit 32's on less than 4" of lift. I run 32" tires on stock gen 2 rims with no trimming and 3" of lift. They only rub slightly on the radius arms.

I want to run 31's or maybe 32's top. Mild off pavement use, will be on forest roads. I like the look of trucks raised 2.5-3 inches.

Sounds like the Duff kit is the winner..... No extended radius arms for now...

I have been using the skyjacker 2" kit for years. The performance has been great and I have not had a single problem with the kit. I dont see the reason for another .5" of lift with the JD kit UNLESS you go with their extended radius arms as well.

I made my own extended radius arms to work with my Skyjacker 2" lift which improved the ride both on and off road.

And you can fit 32's on less than 4" of lift. I run 32" tires on stock gen 2 rims with no trimming and 3" of lift. They only rub slightly on the radius arms.

That's what im saying 32 is the biggest I've seen on a 2" lift without trimming.i would just spend a $100 on a body lift and get some nice shocks if its not going to be wheeled hard

I was able to fit 31s with no lift and I now run 32s with plenty of room for 33s. with 4" you can run 35s but may need a little trimming of the inner fender.

I'm not building a wheeler.. or much of one anyways.

I'm going to be replacing the body mounts with poly ones from Daystar and adding DIY4X 1" aluminum spacers at the same time.. anything more than 1" body lift is just stupid.

After punching a hole in the tread on one of my AT's yesterday on an old logging road, I think I'll probably be switching out to 16" steelies and running a 265/75r16 or similar. Tread is just too thin on most light truck 15" tires.

@Brian1

I saw your pics a week or so ago and love that look.. almost exactly what I am going for. Are you happy with the Skyjacker springs ride?

@Brian1

I saw your pics a week or so ago and love that look.. almost exactly what I am going for. Are you happy with the Skyjacker springs ride?

Yes, they have been good. They have settled over the 9-ish years I have had them on so I did put a short coil spacer on to bring them back up to height a few years back.The spring rate is probably close to stock, the biggest difference in the ride will depend on what shock you go with. While on the subject of shocks do not get a 2" longer shock for the skyjacker 2" kit. They are too long and will bottom out and cause damage. Stick with the stock length shocks up front. The rear you can go either way, 2" longer or stock length. For a 2.5" lift you are probably safe with 2" longer shocks all around.

Very good to know. I might just go that way then. Yours has the AAL in the rear too then?

Depending on mileage you may want to replace the rear springs with new stock springs. The old springs settle, you can get an inch or two of rear lift with new stock springs instead of old worn springs. And you get new springs, and everything is stock. You should not have to worry about pinion angle beause its stock. A couple Bilstiens and the rear is done. You should be able to clear 31s. The handling is improved and 31s is as big as you should go unless you are going to regear, $$$$$$

A 265/75r16 should be fine. I'm not new to the 4x4 scene.. just moving away from the extreme and into something that is capable but will mostly see highway, forest roads, and very mild trails(read: old, un-maintained forest roads). My old truck had 4.88's, 35's, and a 4" lift(full size Chevy) and did really well, but the street ride sucked. Resolved never to go that extreme again as I want to be able to just hop in this truck and go camping on the other side of the state if I wanted to.

Does anyone make a 2" lift spring for the rear at all even? I know Deaver does.. almost $800 but it might be worth it.. otherwise I see stock springs are $150ish each.

I was able to fit 31s with no lift and I now run 32s with plenty of room for 33s. with 4" you can run 35s but may need a little trimming of the inner fender.

There was no way 33x12.50 would fit on my 5.5lift without trimming.i barley clear my 36s with 5.5+3"body lift

A 265/75r16 should be fine. I'm not new to the 4x4 scene.. just moving away from the extreme and into something that is capable but will mostly see highway, forest roads, and very mild trails(read: old, un-maintained forest roads). My old truck had 4.88's, 35's, and a 4" lift(full size Chevy) and did really well, but the street ride sucked. Resolved never to go that extreme again as I want to be able to just hop in this truck and go camping on the other side of the state if I wanted to.

Does anyone make a 2" lift spring for the rear at all even? I know Deaver does.. almost $800 but it might be worth it.. otherwise I see stock springs are $150ish each.

Sky jacker and jd makes them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am running 2" skyjacker springs and cheap lift shackles in the rear. 33x12.5s with liberal trimming. My truck has done very well offroad so far. the front and rear flex (sans swaybars) is enough for me at the moment.

As for the rear springs, you could look into the 63" chevy swap, although the cases of people performing this mod on an Explorer are few and far between (I have personally only seen one instance; it is much more common on rangers due to the outboarded springs). They should give you an inch or two of lift and flex much more than stock springs. The only issue is that you would have to relocate the front spring hangers. I have a set of 63s sitting around and have been trying to decide the most effective way to do this swap on an Ex.

Back