2001 Ranger Edge 4WD inop. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ranger Edge 4WD inop.

Quib

Reaction score
New guy here, I’ve read through quite a bit of the past posts and can’t seem to find any specific answers so I hope you guys can help me out.

The 4WD is inop on my 2001 Ranger Edge 4.0ltr, manual tranny. I’ve been playing around a bit with this thing and have so far found out the following:

On start up when the system is inop, I get both 4WD lights momentarily lit up on the dash as normal. No type of blinking associated with diagnostics, everything seems normal until I try to activate 4WD, then I get nothing.

If I pull the fuse for 4WD on the drivers side dashboard fuse panel, and re-install it, then everything works fine. I did this the other night leaving work and the whole way home I could go into and out of 4WD as normal. I pulled up my street and into the driveway in 4WD and shut the truck off in that condition. The next morning I was still able to engage 4WD, but later after the truck sat at work all day I was back to square one. The 4WD would not engage.

Well now pulling the fuse no longer helps, I get a constant 4LOW light illuminated. I decided to try and cleanup the transfer case motor.

Upon disassembly, the motor had a good amount of water in it as well as corrosion and had that burnt electrical sweet smell. I’ve rebuilt a few DC motors so using an online tutorial I removed the whole assembly and cleaned and reassembled it. I also sprayed out the connector with Pro-Gold contact cleaner.

This did not help and I still get a constant 4LOW light on the dash.
I’m going to continue searching the site for answers, but can anyone in the mean time give me some direction? Any ideas?

I’ve ordered a new motor, I hope this helps!

The newer Ranger 4WD systems are beyond me, but here's a bump for ya.

Also, welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Can someone give me the procedure for adjusting the motor position switches once I get the new motor installed?

Back