4WD is not working on a 2001 Ranger Edge. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD is not working on a 2001 Ranger Edge.

jsimple4

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
Can someone help me? Im going to the mountains this weekend and need to have my 4wd working.

I have a 2001 ford ranger Edge and the 4wd stopped working. I replaced the shifter motor on the transfer case, but, it is still not working. I have the electronic three way turn switch on the dash and the lights on it still work, but the 4wd light on the instrument panal is not going on.
I also checked the fuse on the side of the dash and its still good. Is there another fuse under the hood I overlooked?
What do you guys think is the problem?
Thanks in advance,
Joshua

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No lights on the dash display for 4x4? No clicks in the passenger side kick panel? No sound of 4x4 engaging under the truck? You possibly replaced the battery or disconnected it recently or did some light electrical work? If you answer yes to all of these, Possiby without answering yes to the electrical I mentioned, then I'm guessing you have a bad 4x4 control module in the passenger kick panel of the truck. Mine just went out and I had all of the above that I mentioned. I've done a ton of research recently because of mine and this is A common problem for Ford explorers, ford sport tracs, and ford rangers 2001-2003, especially 2002. There is another fuse under the hood, and I don't know how to check the 4x4 switch but if you know how or someone does, you could get that checked out, but I doubt either of those are your problem.

thanks for the help guys. I did some research myself and found that the 4wd control module is a dealer only part. How convenient for Ford. Well, as you would figure, the part is just over $200.
Does anybody know where I can get one of these at a better than dealer price?

Check Brandons' sticky thread in the transmission section for information on how to repair this module.

I looked at brandons thread for repairing the module and it is not at all the same. The circuit board has much smaller electrical components and I found it very hard to trace which ones were bad. Try it if you can, but they are two different looking, inside and outside, modules we're talking about between 1st and 2nd gen ford rangers/explorers.

Jsimple, you could see if any junkyards have any or can get you one. Guranteed though that it will be around $100 for a used one, plus maybe in a month it goes bad again, and for $200 you can get a new one from Ford, which I also think did an update on the control module so maybe no more problems after you change it out. Good luck.

Oh, and I ordered my module from directfordparts.com(Silverstateparts.com now?) and it was $170 shipped. Price will also depend on which model module you have also, from what I've seen. You have to call directfordparts on the phone to get the module, you cannot order from the site, at least with mine because they had to look it up themselves.

thanks a million guys. I appretiate the advice.

Back