2002 Ranger, 5speed, manual T-case, supercharged, SAS started | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ranger, 5speed, manual T-case, supercharged, SAS started

Wayoutback

Reaction score
City, State
London, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ranger, 4.0,4x4
Hi Everyone I’ve been meaning to get this up for a while…. I started this in the new member section but was asked to move it over here…. I hope I’m in the right spot…. Feel free to move it if not.

So I’ve been sick for a week so figured it was about time I got this started!

So just a bit of background on me I worked for Ford on diesel drivability for over 10 years before getting out of it all togand switching to construction! I love ford rangers…. this is my 3rd ranger!
Ok so this started as a cheap truck I picked up with a good body…. It’s a 2002 sport 4x4. I then found a local wrecked 2003 Fx4 level 2 5speed so I pulled everything out of it…. 5speed, computer, Manual t-case, 31spline 8.8 and installed that all into my truck. Then I added a Grizzly limited slip in the back and a lunch box locked up front, manual hubs, 3” body lift and 1.5” keys, I added a moddbox supercharger, then I raptor lined it…. Here’s what it looked like.
IMG_3072.jpeg
IMG_3071.jpeg
IMG_3067.jpeg
IMG_3068.jpeg

Next I got tired of replacing front end parts especially steering racks ….. because of the lunch box locker. So I started a SAS on it. It’s a 1979 Dana 44 with a 9” rear. 4:56 gears, Limited Slip and 35” tires, Gm 1ton Tie rods, etc,…. Here’s how it currently sits in my garage. The picture with the tire is with the 3” body lift still in. Which has since been removed.

IMG_3333.jpeg
IMG_5115.jpeg

For the future I have a few things planned 1) of course finish the SAS 2) I’m rebuilding my transmission and transfer case, I’m going to install the guts out of a 3.0 5speed into my 4.0 5speed that will give me a lower 1,2,3 but same 4 and OD. 3) I’ve got a plan to add an intercooler under my supercharger 4) Adding a 5.5psi pulley and self tuning it with the tweecer software.

Just so you know the purpose of this build I’m often pulling my homemade off road trailer weights close to 3000lbs fully loaded, lots of back country isolated camping…. Here’s a few pictures..
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_4961.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's going to be a sweet setup when you're done.

That's going to be a sweet setup when you're done.
Thanks I sure hope so! It’s been a bunch of planning. If you see anything or have any input let me know!

That’s gonna be so nice! Narrowed axles, yeah?
fyi, I moved this to the Ranger section.

That’s gonna be so nice! Narrowed axles, yeah?
fyi, I moved this to the Ranger section.
Actually I’m going to run the full width, but tuck them as far as I can in with my rim selection
Thanks for moving it!

how do you like the raptor liner? How larger of a compressor was needed to spray it? Ive used monstaliner quite a few times have only heard about the raptor....it looks nice!

how do you like the raptor liner? How larger of a compressor was needed to spray it? Ive used monstaliner quite a few times have only heard about the raptor....it looks nice!
Thanks! Yeah I really like it, it’s very very durable. I’ve done a ton of ATV trails where the bush was scraping on both sides…. No marks at all!

I just sprayed in in my garage so nothing fancy. I used my ancient compressor I believe it’s a 30 gallon and maybe 2hp? I sprayed everything first with an HVLP gun that I drilled the tip out, so that I could do all my jambs and not have my weather stripping leak. After 2 coats with the HVLP then I added 2 coats of texture and a dust coat after to blend everything. I think the most important part is just doing good prep… then once it’s stuck it’s not coming off. I just mixed black and white to get the grey.

Nice! My bronco has been Monstaliner for many years as is my wife’s FJ cruiser. We live back in the woods and scrape trees and branches as part of our daily commute. No more waxing or paint issues. Monstaliner still looks great after 10+ years… it is all about the prep!
Once you bedliner a paint job there is no going back to paint… it just makes sense for off road vehicles

Super nice ranger! Can’t wait to see the sas

IMG_4663.jpeg
Just wanted to do a quick update on this build. Axles are in and I’ve put about 500 miles on them. Heres a few pictures of the completed setup.

IMG_4508.jpeg

IMG_4443.jpeg

IMG_4664.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

IMG_4666.jpeg

IMG_4662.jpeg

Next project- we built an intercooler for the Moddbox supercharger. I have a road trip to Utah but when we get back… I will start to data logging and playing with a bit more boost. The goal is reliability but fun! 😁

E41AEDCB-6E7A-4113-BE31-692000032151.jpeg

IMG_4649.jpeg

Wish I had the skill and equipment to make an intercooler like that
Very very cool

Wish I had the skill and equipment to make an intercooler like that
Very very cool
Thanks Donald! Lots of help from a friend that is much more experienced than myself. But it wasn’t cheap because we had to order the custom core…. About 500$

Once I’m up and running I’d love to get your feedback on how to improve the system. I think you’re probably one of the most experienced people running this system. This summer I’m hoping to get at it…. I’ll get some more information posted next month when I get back home.

Thanks Donald! Lots of help from a friend that is much more experienced than myself. But it wasn’t cheap because we had to order the custom core…. About 500$

Once I’m up and running I’d love to get your feedback on how to improve the system. I think you’re probably one of the most experienced people running this system. This summer I’m hoping to get at it…. I’ll get some more information posted next month when I get back home.
us canucks get kicked in the ass when ordering stuff across the border. done even want to say the cost of my core was.
nice ranger. i want to mess with mine more and more everyday but i keep remembering i need it to get me to and from work.

us canucks get kicked in the ass when ordering stuff across the border. done even want to say the cost of my core was.
nice ranger. i want to mess with mine more and more everyday but i keep remembering i need it to get me to and from work.
Yeah it stinks!! Boost is expensive and addictive 😂
Once I get rolling I’d love to get all the feedback I can! Too expensive to do this twice!

Back