2013-15 Remote Access Antenna

richey

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
2017 PIU
The fob range on my 2013 PIU is terrible and you have to be standing right next to the car for it to work. I hear this is a common issue. Has anyone had any luck installing the antenna (DA8Z-15603-A) Into the TMPS module and found it improved the remote fob range? The extended range kits from Ford mention installing it on F-150's, Flex, and Edge, but none talk about it on the Explorer. The 200 series kit for the previous mentioned vehicles includes that antenna as well as the high-mounted antenna, but the Explorer kit only comes with the high mounted antenna. I did try installing one I found at a salvage yard F-150 and saw no improvement, but then again it turned out to be a Chinese clone instead of OEM so maybe that was the issue.

Here is the link to the 200-series installation guide. You can see this antenna is not included in the components kit, but it is when you scroll down to the Edge and Flex sections.

Pic is not the one I installed, just an example of the unit I am talking about.
s-l1600.jpg

How much better is the range on the 2017?
I believe the stated range is 33 feet for the activation of the remote's features, but I believe for the vehicle to detect the remote it has to be within around 3 feet.
I don't know if this thread would be of any use to you; Added remote keyless entry and remote start to '15 PIU but range is very poor

Peter
The 2017 range is amazing. I haven't checked the distance but my wife uses it in a 4th story building when the car is across the street in a parking lot. The 2017 also does not use the same TPMS module, at least not in the same location. I swapped the entire interior and never came across it in the process.

Back