2013 Explorer ... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer ...

A heated steering wheel is one thing I wish my LTD had, I owned an X5 before that had that feature and up here in Canada, it's a very nice thing to have. PLUS I wish it had 2nd row heated seats, especially with the Captain chair option. If the 2013 fixes all the bugs and replaces the A Pillars with metal covers, then I might be looking at trading it in for a new one...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know the real reason for 2012MY being such a short run? Other than some safety features and making some options available on different trim levels, is there anything else changing with the 2013MY?...
...Front passenger knee airbag standard on all models

New colour offerings
— Kodiak Brown Metallic
— Green Gem Metallic
— Oxford White
— Deep Impact Blue
— Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat

Colours no longer available
— Golden Bronze
— White Suede
— Dark Blue Pearl

The Limited Luxury Seat Package gets the heated steering wheel and the Power Tilt/Telescoping steering column.

The Limited Technology Package gets the Lane Departure Warning and Lane Keep Assist and the Auto High Beams.

2nd Row Bucket Seats – 6 passengers (w/Power Assist
Folding Seats, Adjustable Tracks) and 2nd Row Console now available on XLT models

New Final Drive Ratio's for the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 Engine
Hi guys,

The details Sgt1411 posted are correct. The reason for the early 13MY is to coincide with the 13MY launch of Taurus and MKS, which are also at Chicago Assembly. It also allows us to launch the 13MY Utility Police Interceptor, which is based on the Explorer, as early as possible, which is important with the discontinuation of the Crown Vic.

I understand we can expect to see the 2013 Explorer approx March, y/n?
If that is the case, when can we begin placing orders for the '13?
grrtrainman,

The dealers can begin placing customer orders next week, for production in mid-February.

Sgt, will the Lane departure be added to existing my2012 ltd's?
Spengracin,

Lane Departure Warning cannot be added to the 11/12MY versions.

Cory

The 13 MY also has a redesigned 3rd row headliner light with better light throw in the 3rd row/cargo area. The 3rd row Powerfold switchpak is also now backlit but when I asked about retrofitting that backlit switchpak into a 11/12MY I was advised no because the wiring to the switch now has an extra power circuit.

Maybe somebody here with an electrical background can look at the schematics and perhaps figure out a way to make that work for the 11/12MY owners

The 13 MY also has a redesigned 3rd row headliner light with better light throw in the 3rd row/cargo area. The 3rd row Powerfold switchpak is also now backlit but when I asked about retrofitting that backlit switchpak into a 11/12MY I was advised no because the wiring to the switch now has an extra power circuit.

Maybe somebody here with an electrical background can look at the schematics and perhaps figure out a way to make that work for the 11/12MY owners
Perhaps I'm missing something but I'm not sure what the benefit would be of back lighting this particular switch. I doubt many people would tend to use it without the liftgate being open in which case the overhead light would be on. I would much rather see a cover of some sort to prevent accidental operation of the switches.

i miss the heated steering wheel/power tilt and telescope from my nissan maxima....because not only did the seat have easy entry/exit but so did the steering wheel..... i'm sure the '13 explorer will do the same.... i wish there were more things that could be interchangeable with '11-'12 and the new '13.....congrats to those that purchase a 2013 with these subtle changes.....hmmmmm, now that i think of it, i wonder if they added a light switch to turn off the 2nd row lights when the doors open.

Perhaps I'm missing something but I'm not sure what the benefit would be of back lighting this particular switch. I doubt many people would tend to use it without the liftgate being open in which case the overhead light would be on. I would much rather see a cover of some sort to prevent accidental operation of the switches.

At night with the lift gate open and the overhead light on there is not enough light to clearly see the labelling on the switches, especially if the ambient lighting outside is low or non existent.

The engineers agreed as they had many complaints and have now addressed this complaint with the changes.

I know one thing is that a 2011 bought in August 2011 is now 2 years old in March 2012 with the 2013 out in March 2012. This is not the First time Ford has released a Vehicle a year early making the trade-in value drop.

The 1997 Ford F-150 was released right the 1996 to compete with the other trucks with a third door.

I like the explorer, but I don't like what Ford is doing to the value of the 2011 and 2012.

POOR PLANNING ON FORD PART

At night with the lift gate open and the overhead light on there is not enough light to clearly see the labelling on the switches, especially if the ambient lighting outside is low or non existent.

The engineers agreed as they had many complaints and have now addressed this complaint with the changes.
Okay, I can buy that. On this forum I've read many more complaints about accidental operation of the switches than the lack of back lighting them. I don't suppose the engineers have aaddressed that problem.

Okay, I can buy that. On this forum I've read many more complaints about accidental operation of the switches than the lack of back lighting them. I don't suppose the engineers have aaddressed that problem.

Yes, thats a good point. I brought that up too, the answer I got was it won't be addressed in 2013MY.

I thought the Interceptor Utility might address that but the Utility will be released with a blank plate where our PowerFold switchpak is.

The OPP has ordered a large quantity of the Utility and Sedan Interceptors with delivery expected in March so you should be seeing them out your way very soon.

Now you to have memorize the Utility and the Sedan headlight pattern in your rearview mirror not just the CVPI! LOL!

Yes, thats a good point. I brought that up too, the answer I got was it won't be addressed in 2013MY.

I thought the Interceptor Utility might address that but the Utility will be released with a blank plate where our PowerFold switchpak is.

The OPP has ordered a large quantity of the Utility and Sedan Interceptors with delivery expected in March so you should be seeing them out your way very soon.

Now you to have memorize the Utility and the Sedan headlight pattern in your rearview mirror not just the CVPI! LOL!
After 12 years in the RCAF I spent the last 24 years as a Civilan Member with the RCMP before I retired in '02. Wonder what path they (RCMP) will follow? Thanks for 'heads up'.;)

I know one thing is that a 2011 bought in August 2011 is now 2 years old in March 2012 with the 2013 out in March 2012. This is not the First time Ford has released a Vehicle a year early making the trade-in value drop.

The 1997 Ford F-150 was released right the 1996 to compete with the other trucks with a third door.

I like the explorer, but I don't like what Ford is doing to the value of the 2011 and 2012.

POOR PLANNING ON FORD PART

Mileage > Age all day long. It's not that big of a deal. I'm more concerned with the bad rep the first year Explorers get than it becoming a year old sooner.

So excited to hear about the heated steering wheel and power tilt/telescoping column!!!

I'll probably be looking at a 2014 with how fast ford keeps adding new model years.

I leased in June 2011 so I will get a good deal on a 2013 or hopefully, the 2014 will include the ability to remote start with a smart phone!

The only thing missing IMHO is the remote start with smartphone.

I don't know if I want the lane assist but at first I did not want the adaptive cruise control until I tried it!

Ford is really making the Explorer an amazing vehicle! So excited about the heated steering wheel, even if it will be a year or so before I get it.

Mileage > Age all day long. It's not that big of a deal. I'm more concerned with the bad rep the first year Explorers get than it becoming a year old sooner.

I agree.

Cory do you know which colors has a markup cost?

I can deal without having a heated steering wheel but better cargo lighting and backlit powerfold buttons would be nice.

Do you know if the buttons are recessed or have a cover over them?

I can deal without having a heated steering wheel but better cargo lighting and backlit powerfold buttons would be nice.

Do you know if the buttons are recessed or have a cover over them?
Short answer, No. See Sgt1411's post (12-17-2011) above.

My 1991 mustang lx 5.0 was Oxford white, throw back color!

My 1991 mustang lx 5.0 was Oxford white, throw back color!

Oxford white was added because the Police Utility and Sedan white is Oxford white. No metallic content in the paint.

Although most Law Enforcement now are ordering black vehicles and getting the factory "white wrap" on the doors and roof. Some in the US are staying with white police vehicles like the RCMP in Canada.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back