2020+ Ford Explorer Spring Coil code question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020+ Ford Explorer Spring Coil code question

2020Platty

Reaction score
City, State
Abington, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Hi All, I did some searching and didn't come across anything that addressed my question, but if there is such a thread, please link it!

I'm trying to decipher the Ford Part numbers for coil springs. I have a 2020 Platinum and I would like to go with stiffer coil springs and struts/shocks. I do not want to go with aftermarket lowering springs. I was originally thinking the ST trim would be a good option to look at to essentially replicate that ride quality but when searching online, it's unclear which front and rear coils are associated with that trim level, even when searching by VIN (using the VIN of an explorer ST). All the different options are listed and it's not clear which are for an ST, or for the Police Interceptor. Then, I thought about using the codes from a Police Interceptor Utility (PIU) vehicle. Same issue. Has anyone deciphered what the Ford part numbers correlate to for spring rate?

Example part number for the rear coil spring from a PIU: lb5z5560j (they all seem to end with different letters), another one for a different PIU was listed as lb5z5560m.

Thanks for the help/guidance!!

Yeah, there is a dizzying array of part numbers seemingly for the same vehicle. I would go to the Forum Sponsor section and hit up Benny@Levittown Ford. That's where I get my parts from. Tell him what you are looking for and I bet he can find the correct part numbers and even offer a code for 50% off shipping. I got my PIU struts and shocks from them for an even firmer ride in my ST.

Hi All, I did some searching and didn't come across anything that addressed my question, but if there is such a thread, please link it!

I'm trying to decipher the Ford Part numbers for coil springs. I have a 2020 Platinum and I would like to go with stiffer coil springs and struts/shocks. I do not want to go with aftermarket lowering springs. I was originally thinking the ST trim would be a good option to look at to essentially replicate that ride quality but when searching online, it's unclear which front and rear coils are associated with that trim level, even when searching by VIN (using the VIN of an explorer ST). All the different options are listed and it's not clear which are for an ST, or for the Police Interceptor. Then, I thought about using the codes from a Police Interceptor Utility (PIU) vehicle. Same issue. Has anyone deciphered what the Ford part numbers correlate to for spring rate?

Example part number for the rear coil spring from a PIU: lb5z5560j (they all seem to end with different letters), another one for a different PIU was listed as lb5z5560m.

Thanks for the help/guidance!!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you use this site? Front Suspension for 2020 Ford Explorer | Levittown Ford Parts
Levittown is a forum vendor and offers members a discount.
If you have any questions, Benny should be able to answer them. FYI, the ST has a much firmer ride and tuned suspension.

Peter

Thanks both! I'll reach out to Benny with my questions and see where he points me.

Back