275/70/17 with Cobra r's ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

275/70/17 with Cobra r's ?

Just bought some 17"cobra r rims for my 2000. Havent decided on tire size yet. My stock tires now are 235/75/15. I will be going with the 3/16" spacers for the front and possibly the rear too. I have the 1.75" TT/shackle lift on right now.
I will be taking my new tires to a body shop so they can trim my front fender slightly to make the tires fit without rubbing.

Should I be alright with 275/70/17 or should I go smaller? I really want to stay with the 70 because I want a taller ride. I will most likely be buying these online so wont really be able to test any out at a tire shop.

I shouldnt have ANY problems with my swaybar if I use the spacers will I?

Thanks,
Grant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i doubt you will have any problems with the spacers.

you should check out the wheel wizard at www.explorerunderground.com that will give you a better idea of which size tires you should get.

You should lower it if your putting on some Cobra R's. I think it would look weird with a lot of sidewall on a cobra rim.

70 series ??? Thats huge , You Might as well stay lifted , and Put some TSL Swampers or some other offroad tire on... If you want the sport look go w/ a lower profile like a 55 series and lower it .... If you buy local you can have em' test fitted . Thats what I 'd do , Goodluck...

Hi,

I do not want to lower it. I did the tt/shackle lift because I think stock explorers are already too low. I like the slightly lifted explorer. Now my stock 235/75/15 look way too small with the lift. I bought the cobra r's because I like the look of them a lot. Im not too much into the low sport look. I think 275/70/17 will be fine without rubbing but may have to go with 265/70/17

Whats the sidewall?

Everyone says don't go offroading on cobra r's. This may be a dumb question but what is considered "off roading"? Is this things like rock crawling, mudding, going up mountains? Or literally just going off the road? If I go up a curb or small stuff like that it wont hurt the cobras will it? I dont want to have a lifted explorer and not even be able to go up curbs and stuff...

Thanks,

Grant-P

the 265/70/17 are 31.6" tall.
the 275/70/17 are 32.2" tall.

if you go with 275/65/17 they will be 31" tall.
and if you get 275/55/17 (as someone mentioned) you will have the stock tire height of 28.9"

i hope this helps

grant, youll be fine going offroading in cobra r's. you can definately hop curns if you want. the reason people say dont go offroad with these rims is cuz theyll probably get all scratched up crawling rocks and stuff - theyre still capable though.

Back