• Register Today It's free!

35's...re-gear???

wrigley_1285

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
ok haven't found the answer i'm looking for by searching so... i have a 00 sport with stock 4.10's with LS and a 2" tt/shackle. i'm planning on doing a 3" BL this spring or summer. originally i was just planning on getting some 33's but now i think i'm just gonna go ahead and get some 35's and cut up my fenders. i was guessing that with 33's i'd be able to get away with using the stock gears. but what about with 35's. can 4.10's handle 35's on/off road? i pretty much just take my time getting everywhere so i'd be ok with being a little slower off the line. would i have to take it out of O/D on the highway? what other issues could i run into with running 35's? will i have any problems with the limit slip and 35's?

i know...lots of questions...like usual:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With a V6 & 35's you are going to need at least 4:56 gears if not 4:88's

The gears don't care what size tire you have but your tranny & engine do.

Based on my experience with 33s and 4.10s, I'd say you'd be good with 4.88s and 35s.

ok don't know how true this is but while on the phone with the ford dealership the other day i asked about 35's and the 4.10s. the guy on the phone said that 4.10's would be fine with 35's and that i would have to have my computer and brakes reprogrammed and there would be no problems. from what you guys are saying this wouldn't work.

ok don't know how true this is but while on the phone with the ford dealership the other day i asked about 35's and the 4.10s. the guy on the phone said that 4.10's would be fine with 35's and that i would have to have my computer and brakes reprogrammed and there would be no problems. from what you guys are saying this wouldn't work.

There's a difference between it working and it working well. Yes it will move under it's own power with the 4.10's, but you really should have some lower (numerically higher) gears than that. And who are you really going to listen to? A ford mechanic that's probably never even seen an explorer on 35's or the people here that own and drive them..

why are you asking us if you arent going to listen to us? have fun replacing your trans every now and then... you are going to need 4.56 gears ATLEAST. i am running my stock gearing with 33's and its fine but if i had 35's my auto trans wouldnt last 6 months

no i'm going to throw some 33's on there instead. but i was just wanting to tell you guys what the ford guy said. and i've never taken their advice over everyone here.

Yeah, a Ford dealership typically isnt going to know squat. I'd go w/ the 4.56's and 33"s. That seems like the best of both worlds.

My '01 Sport has 33s with the stock 3.73s. It does just fine, but isn't optimal by a long shot. Although it is still quicker/faster than it was completely stock.

I'd love to do 4.56 gears whenever i can afford it....that is way down the list of "Wants" though.

35s would need a gear change for sure.

am i going to have any problems with 33's and a limited slip.

how about later down the road if i decide to get 35's do they have 4.56's or 4.88's with LS

My '01 Sport has 33s with the stock 3.73s. It does just fine, but isn't optimal by a long shot. Although it is still quicker/faster than it was completely stock.

I'd love to do 4.56 gears whenever i can afford it....that is way down the list of "Wants" though.

35s would need a gear change for sure.

As soon as you do regear, you'll retract your statement of the 3.73s working fine with the 33s. :)

As soon as you do regear, you'll retract your statement of the 3.73s working fine with the 33s. :)

Yeah, I know.

Don't have much choice but to live with it this way for awhile. I spent too much on repairs and maintenance this past year, so the wife isn't happy about me spending MORE money on the truck.

I still need new ball joints, tie rod ends, body mounts, and a body lift before new gears are considered. I want to do the RCD conversion too....not to mention the Mustang's "to-do" list.:(

limited slip or not won't effect tire size one way or the other, other than to help with traction.

it wont matter on a dd that see's mostly asphalt? they wont start chirping while turning? it wont wear out or break the LS diff.

sorry but i really don't have alot of knowledge about diffs. i know how to change the lube and that's about it.

it wont matter on a dd that see's mostly asphalt? they wont start chirping while turning? it wont wear out or break the LS diff.

sorry but i really don't have alot of knowledge about diffs. i know how to change the lube and that's about it.

No, it won't cause any damage do it at all. It's not fully locked all of the time. You are thinking of a welded open diff or a fully locked locker. You'll have no problems..

awesome

Back