3rd Brake Light (Hatch) Wont turn off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Brake Light (Hatch) Wont turn off

strizzlow20

Reaction score
City, State
Sebastian, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4X4 SOHC
Hello Everyone,

I recently discovered that my 3rd brake light on the back hatch will not turn off. The other two brake lights are fine. I looked at the switch on the brake pedal and I here it clicking when the lights are engaged. I have never ran into this type of problem. I noticed even when I engage the alarm that the 3rd brake light will dim a bit but it stays on. Does anyone have any ideas here???? I was also having trouble accessing the 3rd brake light. When I pop the hatch I was able to remove the plastic panel and get access to two bolts which appear to be to the 3rd brake light. By removing these two bolt will this allow me to remove the entire brake light??? Im baffled so any suggestions would be awesome. Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for yor help. Thanks,

Ed

Follow up

Problem solved. After researching multiple forums including ford truck forums, the issue was just the bulbs. Most forums suggested that if the brake lights came on, but didn't illuminate brighter when the brake pedal was pushed, it was a brake switch or the mutli switch (turn signal switch). Just to recap, the symptoms were that the the third brake light would stay lit and when the truck was shut off it would flicker. The brake lights would not illuminate brighter when the brake pedal was pushed. Turn signal, hazards, and back up lights worked just fine. I replaced the switch and the mutli switch first and it did nothing. I replaced the bulbs and everything worked fine. I couldn't tell by looking at the bulb they were defective but it was a cheap fix.

Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year.

I need help also

So I have the same problem that you encountered, third brake light lighting up and flickering even when car is on off but gets brighter when brake is pushed in. I attempted to just disconnect it by removing the two bolts on the top of the hatch. After replacing the bolts, I tried the brakes again and now the 1st and 2nd brake lights wont work. I now understand that the cords and the bolts belong to the bottom brakes but why would it not work after I plugged it back in? Should I replace the connectors? How would I do this? Also, how can I fix the third brake light myself? I heard it is difficult to get to the bulbs.

Just want to reply to this feed. I was having the same problem with my third brake light. I went to the auto store and a kid there replaced my two brake light bulbs on the left and right because they seemed to have blown. Everything is fine now. So, before you go spending a ton of money on a switch check the brake light bulbs. It seems that when they go out, the third light acts as a signal to let you know????Whatever, it works and only cost me $4.67.:D

Back