• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Rebuild Question

taterz

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Exploder
I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild of a 4.0 SOHC. I'm currently ringing the pistons and I have two problems. 1) the oil control ring is just slightly too big and it looks like i'll need to file it just a tiny bit to make it fit as it should. Anyone have this problem? 2) the new top rings came with no bevel and there is no marker indicating which side is the top. I've never seen a top ring for these motors with no bevel. These are definitely quality parts from Sealed Power but this specific part number is a new offering from them. Anybody run into this ussue before?

I would call the manufacturer and ask them.

Flag Gibby, you know what's scary is I did call Federal Mogul first things and they weren't even sure of their own product themselves. I've rebuilt scores of V8's in the past and i've run into this is issue so i'm just going to assume that the top ring doesn't have a top/bottom side. As for the oil ring spacer, since it is just that, a spacer, i'll just put it on the filer and get it to where it fits the way it should. Now, onward to the fun task of setting up the wonderfully complicated timing system on these ***** things! YIPPEE!!! Thanks for the input.

end gap

According to my Haynes Repair Manual the compression rings should have a mark which should face up. The piston ring end gaps for the SOHC V6:

Top compression ring: 0.008 to 0.018 inch
Bottom compression ring: 0.018 to 0.028 inch
Oil ring: Snug fit

The gap for the V8 oil ring is 0.010 to 0.040 inch and for the OHV V6 is 0.015 to 0.055 inch. I don't know why the SOHC V6 oil ring doesn't have any gap.

Back