• Register Today It's free!

5r55e No auto shift out of 1st

Fireside3

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
2000 Explorer Sport 2wd according to VIN (1/2001 date of manufacture and 01 body style)
4.0 sohc
automatic (5r55e?)

Symptoms occurred shortly after intermittent fuel pump failure left me stranded.

O/D light began flashing at start up even before truck had been moved from the fuel pump issue. No flashing O/D light prior to the F/P failure.

F/P since replaced, but I jacked with a lot of electrical **** in the process and ran the batt down, had to swap batt, etc, so I'm not ruling out the PCM being fried if I grounded something accidentally.

CEL also steady. Have disconnected batt and cleared several times, but it always comes back.

Truck will manually engage all gears and has forward and reverse movement. When in (D) it will start in 1st, but no upshift from there, even running up to 5000 RPM.

I'm running in manual (2) most of the time and below highway speeds. Getting 16mpg at best of course.

Engine braking is present. Appears to be a slight leak possibly from front pump (bellhousing), but slippage is not bad at all if it's topped off. Overall the leak really seems negligible. Was running Lucas in it but no other fluids besides Mercon ATF.

Dropped the pan and found nothing broken. Fluid didn't smell burned and no obvious debris in the pan. Tightened VB bolts and solenoid bracket bolts. Removed and checked TCC solenoid. It ohmed at 10.6. Applied 12v to it, and it clicked, but there was very negligible movement. The internal shaft has a hole through it, I assume for fluid passage, and the movement from the solenoid when energized was not enough to close the opening...so I'm not sure what effect I should be seeing unless this solenoid is locked and movement is restricted.

Codes have been read at AutoZone, but only thing I have gotten trans wise is range sensor out of range. Have not taken to trans shop for those codes yet. Other PCM codes indicated TPS (swapped), CKS, CPS, MAF (swapped), ABS, fuel tank pressure sensor, bank 1 and bank 2 lean...yadda yadda. This thing has thrown codes for the last year like Samuel L Jackson drops F bombs. Replaced diff a few months ago. Also swapped back to my old diff speed sensor, but no fix.

I also tried a Hail Mary by swapping the PCM with junkyard to rule that out. The PNs didn't match though as well as the keys, so theft light constantly blinked at me. I got around it by having the F/P direct wired on a rocker switch and ran surgical tubing from the schrader valve test port into the intake to dump fuel in because the injectors wouldn't work either (don't tell me you can't defeat a PATS equipped vehicle). It ran. Anyway, the other PCM at least tried to shift the tranny, but it kept bouncing back from 1-2. Replaced the original PCM to start over from square one.

The way I understand it, this may be a broken intermediate band, PCM failure, EPC or TCC solenoid, or maybe the blown VB gasket issue, but some opinions seem to indicate if it runs up well in 1st, it's probably not the VB gasket? I attempted to test the range sensor but the diagram I have from Haynes does not match the pinup I have. I conducted the checks to reset the range sensor into position by loosening the bolts with the trans in reverse, and rotating the sensor until the brake lights came on then I tightened the bolts. I'm skeptical that the range sensor is preventing a shift though every shift position works manually?

Mike

Can I get a transmission guru on this one? Anybody?

I've searched the forum high and low but nothing specific enough to this problem. Also, I didn't jack with the EPC solenoid because I heard it was touchy and I didn't want to fry it by putting volts to it.

Back