'99 XLT Cruise control problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 XLT Cruise control problem

Awesome thread. SC is one of the few perks with the 96' Limited I just picked up. Going to check it tonight. Question. Is the back-lighting in these switches serviceable? On my Mounty, the left steering wheel button cluster lights are out, and on the Expy, it's the right one. Please advise, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could help. My '99 doesn't have backlit SC buttons. I don't think the backlighting should affect the function of the buttons.

I do remember seeing a "how to" thread on changing the lights in the cruise control buttons, but I can't seem to find it now...It's here somewhere.
Curious what you mean by SC...Stereo Control maybe? Only Limited's have these...correct?

I do remember seeing a "how to" thread on changing the lights in the cruise control buttons, but I can't seem to find it now...It's here somewhere.
Curious what you mean by SC...Stereo Control maybe? Only Limited's have these...correct?

Cool I'll try to search for it! lol I was referring to Speed Control. And I just realized where my problem may be...

20120703_212356.jpg

Yep, That could be it!...this is the new style switch, so I would try cleaning it before buying a new one...Was it not connected?

Yep, That could be it!...this is the new style switch, so I would try cleaning it before buying a new one...Was it not connected?

Really? I thought the Orange switch is the old catch-fiery one, and the black one was the new style? :confused:

PS: And yes, it was connected.

Really? I thought the Orange switch is the old catch-fiery one, and the black one was the new style? :confused:

PS: And yes, it was connected.

I went and looked at mine...My Bad!...lol. Yeah, get rid of that one!

I went and looked at mine...My Bad!...lol. Yeah, get rid of that one!

Yeah, I don't think I even have the jumper harness either. Going to clean up the switch, but I don't think I am re-connecting the harness at this time until I get those parts. My truck is sitting in my garage right now, YIKES! lol

Yeah, I don't think I even have the jumper harness either. Going to clean up the switch, but I don't think I am re-connecting the harness at this time until I get those parts. My truck is sitting in my garage right now, YIKES! lol

Careful...lol. I think I got mine for around $15 at the dealership. Talk enough s#*t they my give it to you.

Careful...lol. I think I got mine for around $15 at the dealership. Talk enough s#*t they my give it to you.

I have a buddy up in Tousley Ford. Maybe I might just have to pay for shipping. Question though, should I still perform the self diagnostic, or play it safe and wait?

I have a buddy up in Tousley Ford. Maybe I might just have to pay for shipping. Question though, should I still perform the self diagnostic, or play it safe and wait?

I'd try it...can't see what it could hurt. Even if everything checks out okay, I would still replace the switch. It probably won't catch fire if you clean all the gunk off it. I used throttle body cleaner on mine.

I'd try it...can't see what it could hurt. Even if everything checks out okay, I would still replace the switch. It probably won't catch fire if you clean all the gunk off it. I used throttle body cleaner on mine.

This is true. Plus I think the main problem with these comes from internal failure/corrosion rather than outer gunk. Still nice to have it sitting pretty. Going to do the diagnostic tonight after I put a window regulator and motor in lol

While your doing the window motor... why don't you install one of these? I love mine! http://www.ebay.com/itm/160696409358?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks! It may be in my future plans, but trying to get all the stuff working again first! lol I'm such a creature of habit, that the first thing I do when pulling up to a parking spot is put my windows up lol. Not to say this isn't a cool feature though! Might do it to my Mounty however.

Back