Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ex XLS; 4x4; OHV-6
From my Ford Manual:

Principles of Operation
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
The daytime running lamps (DRL) system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity. The DRL module (15A270) supplies pulse width modulated (PWM) voltage, approximately 75%-92% of battery voltage, to the lowbeam headlamps when the following conditions are met:
• The parking brake control is released.
• The high beam headlamps are disabled.
• The ignition switch (11572) is in the RUN position. The DRL module remains enabled when the low beam headlamps are turned on.
I don't know what "PWM voltage" is. I thought I'd find reference to a resistor to reduce voltage to the DRLs...

So, I'm still hunting for the connector under the front bumper...now armed with a diagram:

upload_2017-11-29_12-29-21.png

and hoping someone can confirm that all I need to do is purchase this module and plug it in and DRLs will become activated on my 2000 Explorer XLS.

My logic is they (DRLs) are mandatory in Canada (not sure since when) so the harness "waiting for the module" would seem the simplest way for dealers to accomodate Ford owners moving to Canada? If it's more complicated than this--and expensive--I'll just pass on the idea.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI - The DLR's seem to cause a lot of headlight problems based on what I've read on the forum. What I do is just turn on my fog/driving lights any time I want to be more visible to other drivers.

The DRL module had a very bad habit of burning out (My old XLS had 2 modules burn out).

I have taken vehicles from the USA and just added a relay that turns the headlights on based off of a voltage like fuel pump on voltage.

I don't know what "PWM voltage" is. I thought I'd find reference to a resistor to reduce voltage to the DRLs...

So, I'm still hunting for the connector under the front bumper...now armed with a diagram:
and hoping someone can confirm that all I need to do is purchase this module and plug it in and DRLs will become activated on my 2000 Explorer XLS.
My logic is they (DRLs) are mandatory in Canada (not sure since when) so the harness "waiting for the module" would seem the simplest way for dealers to accomodate Ford owners moving to Canada? If it's more complicated than this--and expensive--I'll just pass on the idea.
PWM is "Pulse Width Modulation," the light is turned on and off rapidly, so the average intensity seen by the human eye is lower than when being fully on.
The DRL connector will have a shorting plug (which is required for proper headlight operation) installed on its end; not just dangle open. HOWEVER, unless you are in Canada or moving to Canada, I would advise you against installing a DRL, for the following reasons:
1) It won't turn the tail lights on, so you are not protected from being rear-ended in poor visibility conditions
2) They tend to fail, causing the brake warning indicator to turn on, the headlights to malfunction, or both
at least my experience...

I wouldn't even install it in Canada. Maybe if you have factory headlights and find the module (or two) at an auto wrecker, but that's about it.

I wouldn't even install it in Canada. Maybe if you have factory headlights and find the module (or two) at an auto wrecker, but that's about it.
Thanks for all the opinions. I think I'll go with turning on the fog lights and avoid the complications mentioned. Problem "solved".

when ever i have had a 99 or newer explorer with a burnt out DRL module, you can jump 2 wires together and not bother with a module. it will turn your low beams on only and nothing else. ever though it is ment to turn on the high beams at a lower voltage, it doesnt harm any of the electrical doing it this way

It wouldn't be hard to rig something up... take any circuit lead live with ignition on to activate a relay, take 12V from battery through a fuse, relay and then split to ~ 4 series diodes per bulb to drop ~ 3V to low or high beam, checking brightness with 3 in series, then 4, then 5.

Given current ebay pricing and thermal density improvements, I'd probably get something like this 20 pack of 10A for $6 and run two parallel series of 4 to each bulb so a total of 8 diodes used:
20pcs 10A10 10 Amp 1000V 10A 1KV Axial Rectifier Diode diodes - DIY Solar Panels | eBay

Of course you could use resistors instead, but with the diodes there is the granularity of dropping an addt'l ~0.7V with each addt'l diode added in series to achieve the desired brightness level.

DRLs? 2nd Gens came with DRLs? Someone explain this to me? They standard on Limiteds?

DRLs? 2nd Gens came with DRLs? Someone explain this to me? They standard on Limiteds?
It's law in Canada. So in Canada, yes, everything came with DRL's from the factory standard equipment. The modules just keep blowing themselves up, that's all.

It's law in Canada. So in Canada, yes, everything came with DRL's from the factory standard equipment. The modules just keep blowing themselves up, that's all.
Notice any module lasting longer than others? RockAuto.com has AIRTEX/WELLS 6H1476 and STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS G06001 {#704202} for $49. & $53., respectively. I've seen the Dorman module for less but have read several poor reviews of Dorman's quality control. Given the way these modules function (PWM: "Pulse Width Modulation"), they seem designed to fail sooner-than-later.

BTW: I verified the presence of the DRL plug on my 2000 XLS. It simply has a dust cap over the 6-terminal female plug.

Seems easy to remedy when the module fails and chaos follows: Simply unplug the module and/or cap the connector. The Ford Manual has a sequence of troubleshooting tests to determine the cause of failure, none-of-which I can see performing at the side of the road after a module goes crazy.

I guess I can afford to run my headlights/park lights/tail lights and replace a lot of bulbs for the $50. module cost. It's just handier to have the DRLs come on/go off automatically--minus, of course, the reportedly frequent module-failure-induced happenings.

The suggestion to run my fog lights as DRLs doesn't work unless I activate my headlights--no advantage, just more bulbs/switches to burn out/replace.

Given the way these modules function (PWM: "Pulse Width Modulation"), they seem designed to fail sooner-than-later.
There is nothing in the PWM technology to make things fail. On the contrary, because very little power is dissipated in the switching modulator (as opposed to inserting a resistor or something similar in series), it should have been inherently more reliable. Whoever made those for Ford was pinching pennies and created a bad product - not the first or the last time.

^ I don't want to write a novel in dispute, but I completely disagree. PWM is a nice idea on paper or for throwaway products but not something meant to last outdoors for the 20 years we're now facing. It is cheaper to design a linear circuit within longer lasting thermal limits than PWM when you don't have a huge transformer due to starting out at 12VDC from an alternator.

I'll gladly take PWM for a solely battery operated circuit but on a vehicle, just no unless it's an aftermarket stereo amp that needs it to boost battery voltage to some ridiculous output wattage.

Over many years of misc electronics work I've had approximately 20X as many switchmode power circuits fail as linear and when a linear fails, more often than not it was just a PCB copper delamination/solder joint fracture or 20 cent resistor fault that needed fixed.

Clearly PWM is more efficient, but it seems a little crazy to talk efficiency when we're driving bricks on wheels. That efficiency difference is small relative to the whole MPG equation.

^ Over many years of misc electronics work I've had approximately 20X as many switchmode power circuits fail as linear...
I'm no electrical engineer so this observation by J_C is something I simply accept at face value--especially with all the reports I've read of failing DRL modules causing all sorts of confounding effects of multiple lighting units.

I also don't know the history of how long Canada has required DRLs for passing their vehicular inspections.

Given that this lucrative (?) part which seems to plague Ford owners with frequent replacement MUST be causing many Canadians much repeat-expense (and grief): I have to wonder. Is there a Canadian DRL replacement module that is more reliable than the "American" modules? (ie. Has some redesign taken place to improve the longevity of the modules in the Canadian marketplace?)

...in Canada, yes, everything came with DRL's from the factory standard equipment. The modules just keep blowing themselves up, that's all.
So Dono: Can you provide some Canadian, mail-order parts suppliers for these modules? I'm curious if they carry different brands/different pricing since they're required throughout your Country? (Yet you seem defeated that they are better quality/longer-lasting than their American counterparts?)

Hitler used Ford engines in Germany's tanks or trucks (or both?) Seems Bosch or some-such company could make a better DRL module? They're required in Europe too... Maybe I should try a German Ford parts supplier...?

When my old XLT started life, it was a company vehicle.
Being a company vehicle, I just dropped it off at the dealer when the module would go bad.
The dealer replaced the module twice, at almost a $500.00 hit each time.
Crooks.

Anyway, Once the truck was of no book value, it was given tome. I ended up just putting in cheap aftermarket projectors and wiring led's for the drl's. I think I wired them thru a relay using the maf voltage (It was a while ago, so I'm not sure).

No magic bullet, but to do away with that module. They are cheap enough aftermarket (and easy to replace) that its not a big to just replace the module every few years if you want factory drl's.
As vroomzoomboom said, you can just jump 2 pins of that drl connector and let the headlights come on full brightness as drl's also.

Its been law in Canada for drl's since at least before 2000 (That was the year of my xlt, lol).

My current retrofitted projectors use clf halo's as the drl. I'll still use my headlights when I'm on a single lane highway.

Back