Adding Navigation Later | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

I still think it can be installed a I have some special info.

I'll believe it when I see it. The only ones that have the nav software are the factories that install it on new vehicles and the actual engineers who designed the system. Not only do you need the actual software for the center stack display, you also need to update the instrument cluster with the software for that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll believe it when I see it. The only ones that have the nav software are the factories that install it on new vehicles and the actual engineers who designed the system. Not only do you need the actual software for the center stack display, you also need to update the instrument cluster with the software for that.

I have that ability...

Just curious why you posted earlier that you "need a test mule'. Why not try it on your own 2014 whatever?

Peter

Mine came with it, figured I would do the explorer community a favor and figure it out.

Mine came with it, figured I would do the explorer community a favor and figure it out.
Okay, I get it now. Don't know what model you have since you haven't added it to your profile so I wasn't sure if you may have had nav. Good luck.

Peter

Added...

I wish I was close, I'd give you my wifes car as a guinea pig.

Just get the Igo nav system. My dad has a one of those large Bluebird bus rv's and just had an Igo installed and it is displaying on a 15" computer monitor that sits on the very large dash in this thing. It works awesome. They even wired the back up camera to work with the screen and it cuts off the nav and switches to the back up camera when the coach is put into reverse. Honestly if ford doesn't care about the concerns of all of us consumers just spend the money elsewhere and get a better system. Like I mentioned previously the mapping and functionality blows the ford system away anyways. Not to mention you can update it over the Internet unlike my Mark Lt that cost me $250 for an updated map disk off ebay.

Doesn't your system use an external speaker? For me that's a real disappointment the sound doesn't come through the factory speakers.
Where did they mount that huge clunky thing?

I think I am beginning to understand why Ford won’t allow the NAV to be activated.
I tend to agree I think all the hardware is there and it’s ready to be activated.
The bottom line? There are too many options available in our Explorers.
According to Ford's build options, in order to have Nav in a XLT for example, it’s only available with leather seats. This means the "heated seats" button is on screen. I for example have clothes seats, so therefore this may cause issues. Certainly Ford isn’t going to officially leave someone like this.
I know, some of you are saying "but I have leather heated seats". I think the deeper issue is do you have a rear heater? Rear window defroster? Sirius radio?
There are so many options the dealership would have to sort out and the software probably isn’t set up to have all those options.
I would imagine if they turned it on for one person, the next person with different options would complain or beg. So for Ford, it’s a big headache they don’t want to deal with.
So in order to avoid major issues, its best for Ford to just say no upgrade possible.

I think I am beginning to understand why Ford won’t allow the NAV to be activated.

So, let's say all the hardware is there. Let's say it was software config via Ford's proprietary tool.

Would you pay $800 to have it turned on, or would you expect it for free?

There is the reason, if it exists. And frankly for those of us who paid $800 up front, I wouldn't want you to be able to turn it on for free.

So, let's say all the hardware is there. Let's say it was software config via Ford's proprietary tool.

Would you pay $800 to have it turned on, or would you expect it for free?

There is the reason, if it exists. And frankly for those of us who paid $800 up front, I wouldn't want you to be able to turn it on for free.

I never said free. I think I would pay as much as $1000 if it were available after the fact.
I bought my Explorer used with 18k miles on it so I never had the choice.
I think though what's going to happen is someone is going to find a hack then Ford will be forced to change their ways.

Doesn't your system use an external speaker? For me that's a real disappointment the sound doesn't come through the factory speakers.
Where did they mount that huge clunky thing?

You are correct. The only...and I mean only....down fall is the audio. It is still loud and clear, just not thru the stereo. It's a small speaker mounted on the sun visor. You can control the volume thru the nav menu. My wife has had this system since she bought her truck in Dec 2012. She has a 2013 xlt. She has 12xxx on it for miles. No issues with the truck or the 4wd. Nav has been perfect no matter where we have gone. It's nice on the big screen as well. No issues from the headrest DVD players either. It's been a nice solid truck for her. Hers is white and looks real nice. I have a white truck too so I guess we just like white cars.

Can some one please tell me how you would access the nav system in a factory equipped vehicle?

For me I press and hold the phone button on the right side of the steering wheel. That same button will toggle me between the nav display and MFT display.

I am in RI, but have a contact with Ford in Vancouver. He is a regional fleet operations manager on the service side. I will reach out to him and see what he says. I build/work on primarily C3 Vettes and met him thru a corvette forum. He shipped his 72 out to me for some work so I know I will get an honest answer from him. This new technology is crazy. I see it with the Vettes as well. That's why I stay with the old stuff.

Can some one please tell me how you would access the nav system in a factory equipped vehicle?

For me I press and hold the phone button on the right side of the steering wheel. That same button will toggle me between the nav display and MFT display.

Factory equipped nav is the green top right quadrant where yours says "Information".

I am in RI, but have a contact with Ford in Vancouver. He is a regional fleet operations manager on the service side. I will reach out to him and see what he says. I build/work on primarily C3 Vettes and met him thru a corvette forum. He shipped his 72 out to me for some work so I know I will get an honest answer from him. This new technology is crazy. I see it with the Vettes as well. That's why I stay with the old stuff.

Here is a video from youtube. Although its a F series pickup, the MyFord Touch should be the same.
Fast forward it to 26 min mark for Nav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovn61Nl03I4

I never said free. I think I would pay as much as $1000 if it were available after the fact.
I bought my Explorer used with 18k miles on it so I never had the choice.
I think though what's going to happen is someone is going to find a hack then Ford will be forced to change their ways.

There is no "hack" for the navigation. The vehicle either had the software uploaded at the factory or it didn't. All of the hardware is the same regardless of options chosen. The navigation option is merely just the software itself, which is not available outside the factory or the people who designed it. It is a very closely guarded program.

As promised I talked to my buddy from ford. Here is what he said...my question was basically can it be done if it didn't come from the factory.

"I have not tried it on the current generation explorer. I have however done it before on an Edge/MKX and all the components are there. There may be a slight difference in the wiring harness for the explorer but I'm not sure on top of my head. Will have to check when I get back to work next week. IF the harness is the same, then all you'll need is the navigation software installed in the module, a SD navi map card, and the several other modules reprogrammed. Now the trouble for you is that the software installation and reprogramming can only be done through the factory diagnostic tool. Unless you know someone well at the dealer, you'd be hard pressed to get this done. Even if you do know somebody, he'd have to go out of his way and be somewhat savy in this area to make it all happen as this is not an allowed standard procedure for dealers to do."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no "hack" for the navigation. The vehicle either had the software uploaded at the factory or it didn't. All of the hardware is the same regardless of options chosen. The navigation option is merely just the software itself, which is not available outside the factory or the people who designed it. It is a very closely guarded program.

My young grasshopper, Ford has you looking left when the answer is on the right.
Hpozzuoli is confirming it can and has been done on a myford touch.
All the software is built into these units.
Its just a matter of telling the computer that function is enabled.
Someone else brought up a valid point here though why Ford wont offer it as an after built option. I concur what they said. There are too many different packages that Ford released when they build the Explorer.
If you look at the Ford brochure, you will notice navigation is not available unless you have leather seats.
But you also have to remember, some people don't have a rear window defroster etc.
There are so many variations it would be a nightmare as someone else said to make sure they only activated the functions your Explorer has.
The iGo is already a variation of a hack.
Going back to what Hpozzuoli said, I'm sure its already being done.
There is even a device hackers plug into cars that allow them to control certain functions of cars such as lock the doors, toot the horn and even apply the breaks when they want.
Its a computer, not unlike Windows. Yes, I get it, if your computer did not come with say Microsoft Office, your not going to get Office by hacking the machine, but the myford touch has all the information ready to be turned on or off like your ppv cable box. There are lots of hidden screens on your cable box you never see, but they are there.
Personally if Ford said its now a $800 upgrade but you have to live with some buttons on screen that wont work, I would do it. I would have my vehicle in the bay this afternoon. But we know they wont.
A hack is emanate. Probably better than what Ford would offer because hacks are just that. They would allow you to say, don't display the heated seats button, but do display rear heater option.

Back