• Register Today It's free!

Axleshaft help

99sportxplor3

Reaction score
City, State
Dover
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
Both my front axleshaft seals are completely gone. I am going to replace them but i am wondering if i have to drop my differential to do everything i need to do...any help at all would be great i used the search button and couldnt find anything. also how long would this take??? i am sure if i paid someone to do it labor would be outrageous so i am trying to avoid that...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First you have to tell is if you're talking about the front axle shaft seals, or the rear axle shaft seals.

You can leave the front IFS in place,

The cv axle will come out if you pop the upper ball joint loose, and pop the tie rod end loose from the knuckle-

once the axle shaft is out-use a 3 jaw pulller to remove the seals, and do yourself a favor, get a seal driver kit--it will really help on the passenger side.

The cv axle will come out if you pop the upper ball joint loose, and pop the tie rod end loose from the knuckle-

once the axle shaft is out-use a 3 jaw pulller to remove the seals, and do yourself a favor, get a seal driver kit--it will really help on the passenger side.

thanks alot about how long did this take you??

thanks alot about how long did this take you??

Oh, I'm slow, don;t ask me.
I would allow at least 2 hrs per side. Just use the cv replacement how to thread. This will get you there.

Check the rest of the pumpkin and see if you have any leaks anywhere else starting to show. If so, this would be the perfect time to go ahead and drop the pumpkin and reseal the whole thing. Once you have the axles out, you're damn near there.

thanks alot this def. helps. Ive got most of it apart now i just gota go to autozone and get the 3 jaw puller...

slide-hammer works great too.
wasn't too hard of a job.

and yes, use actually seal/bearing drivers... MUCH easier, better, and safer.

afaik, you will always leak out of your pass. side.
3 different seals, 2 different axle housings, and my pass. side still leaks.... not a lot, but it's noticeable.
but my dri. side appears to be sealed well.

gavin, do you need a speedi sleeve on that axle? Neither of my axles leak there. Yet...

Knock on wood. Damn. Now I jinxed myself.

dunno... I've had multiple sets of half-shafts too... it's always leaked :dunno:

slide-hammer works great too.
wasn't too hard of a job.

and yes, use actually seal/bearing drivers... MUCH easier, better, and safer.

afaik, you will always leak out of your pass. side.
3 different seals, 2 different axle housings, and my pass. side still leaks.... not a lot, but it's noticeable.
but my dri. side appears to be sealed well.

As long as it stays somewhat sealed and doesnt leak as bad as it was...My diffy fluid was like a brownish white from being through all that mud and water. I dont think ive ever smelled something that disgusting...When i took the seals out they basically fell out in pieces. It was only leaking strictly out of the axleshaft seals. Whats the easiest way to flush my differential? I found a plug on the drivers side but it look like thats only mean for adding fluid seeing as its kinda high up.

if it was as bad as you say, I would honestly recommend pulling the whole axle assy and removing the cover.

Otherwise, there is no other way to get it thoroughly cleaned.
There is no drain plug, only a fill plug. Just like the rear axle, gotta pull the cover to drain it.

if it was as bad as you say, I would honestly recommend pulling the whole axle assy and removing the cover.

Otherwise, there is no other way to get it thoroughly cleaned.
There is no drain plug, only a fill plug. Just like the rear axle, gotta pull the cover to drain it.

That sucks. Well i know what im doing all day tommorow...

whered you get the seal driver from?? autozone doesnt have one. It appears as though im never going to be able to drive those seals into that small space. they hardly line up

I never had to pop the TRE's loose to remove the half-shaft.

I would assume there's a store somewhere that would have a bearing/seal driver you could rent.

may try asking for bearing driver kit. They might be getting confused, or something.

Although, for one side, I do believe I used a ginormous socket, due to the angles I had to attempt to drive the seals in at. It definately wasn't easy with the axle assy in place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never had to pop the TRE's loose to remove the half-shaft.

I would assume there's a store somewhere that would have a bearing/seal driver you could rent.

may try asking for bearing driver kit. They might be getting confused, or something.

Although, for one side, I do believe I used a ginormous socket, due to the angles I had to attempt to drive the seals in at. It definately wasn't easy with the axle assy in place.

Yea this is a really ****ty design. The drivers side a 38 or 39mm would work but its just so corroded the seal wont even line up. i used sandpaper but it only did so much...i guess im gonna be at this for a while

Back