Back for round 2 - Questions on front auto locker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back for round 2 - Questions on front auto locker

Zurn

Reaction score
City, State
Edgewood, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Navajo
Hey everybody, I've returned after a long time away. Can't believe the site is still up and running. So much good info here. Anyhow, I used to have a 94 explorer sport (see sig) and I saw a 94 Navajo for a deal I couldn't pass up! $500 for a manual with manual transfer case. I'm working on getting the thing back in shape and driving and it's going to be a trail rig only. I'll still be driving it to the trails, so it does have to be road worthy. This is a total budget build and I'm looking for the cheapest front auto locker out there. I know the LockRight is part number 2311-LR for the front but I think that's for the 1995+ trucks. I can't seem to get there website to come up. I found a company called Nitro Gear and Axle that seems to have a knock off of the same locker. The problem is they show 2 on their website for the D35 and both say they will fit the 1991-1994 explorer. When I do a search for 1994 explorer it comes up with the 1.625" side gear option. My question is has anybody used the Nitro Gear and Axle locker and do you know which is correct for a 1994? My truck looks to have a 3.73 LSD out back that was swapped in (has the 3.27 axle code on the door) and it has 3.73 front gears as well. How do I know what the side gear hub size is? Was that the difference in the carrier when you had to switch to a larger one if you had 3.55 and smaller gears and wanted to go bigger? The two lockers they list have either a 1.625" side gear or 1.56" side gear. Yes, I tried the search function and didn't find anything. Thanks for the help, it's good to be back! Can't wait to hit the trails again.

or

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went by the recommended model on the Aussie Locker site for my 95 Dana35 and ended up with the wrong shaft size. Best bet is to open it up and mic the diameter yourself, as I think it could be either. The site called for the 1.56", and as I was regearing and doing final assembly, had to stop to order the 1.6.

Thanks DannyW, not really the answer I want to hear but I should probably open it up just to have a look around anyhow. The extended breather hooked to the diff was full of water. Guess I'll pull it apart just to be sure. Rather do that then order both.

Mazda Navajo is the best Explorer Sport available!

I have no value to add to this thread, just wanted to know about the front locker stuff, carry on.

Ya, I did finally find a post from two years ago where somebody was able to talk to somebody in Tech Support at one of the major companies. They told him that all the Explorer and Rangers 95+ with the D35 had the 1.62 side gear and the smaller size was only used in the jeeps or dana 27 (older ranger and bronco 2). So I did go ahead an order the one from Nitro for $187 but I haven't gotten anything with shipping info and I found a few old threads talking about how people have been scammed, placed orders and never heard anything. I'll give it a few more days and if I don't hear from them I'll cancel my order (used paypal so I'll get my money back right away) and I'll order one from somewhere else if I can find one. It looks like the Aussie Locker 13527 is in stock at a few places for $270 so I'll jump on one of those if the Nitro Gear one doesn't work out. Either way I'll report back here once I get it and have time to get it installed.

Ya, I did finally find a post from two years ago where somebody was able to talk to somebody in Tech Support at one of the major companies. They told him that all the Explorer and Rangers 95+ with the D35 had the 1.62 side gear and the smaller size was only used in the jeeps or dana 27 (older ranger and bronco 2). So I did go ahead an order the one from Nitro for $187 but I haven't gotten anything with shipping info and I found a few old threads talking about how people have been scammed, placed orders and never heard anything. I'll give it a few more days and if I don't hear from them I'll cancel my order (used paypal so I'll get my money back right away) and I'll order one from somewhere else if I can find one. It looks like the Aussie Locker 13527 is in stock at a few places for $270 so I'll jump on one of those if the Nitro Gear one doesn't work out. Either way I'll report back here once I get it and have time to get it installed.
If you don't get anywhere with Nitro, let me know, I have the 13527 Aussie locker that I ordered incorrectly still in the box.

Called and spoke to Nitro Gear, they got bough out two years ago and are now under the larger umbrella company that owns Rough Country, Day Star, and a few others. Guy was nice, was surprised at the price I paid and said they don't have them in stock. I guess I got it on the last day of their big summer sale. Kind of makes me mad cause they showed 8 on the website... but he said they will have them in 2-3 weeks so I'll keep you guys posted if it ever shows up and then once I get around to installing it.

Called and spoke to Nitro Gear, they got bough out two years ago and are now under the larger umbrella company that owns Rough Country, Day Star, and a few others. Guy was nice, was surprised at the price I paid and said they don't have them in stock. I guess I got it on the last day of their big summer sale. Kind of makes me mad cause they showed 8 on the website... but he said they will have them in 2-3 weeks so I'll keep you guys posted if it ever shows up and then once I get around to installing it.
Yea, that's a low price. I'm thinking I paid about 300 with shipping for Aussie.

Your Dana 35 is reverse rotation just fyi

The 95-11 ifs is regular rotation

91-94 explorer, 91-97 ranger Dana 35 ttb is reverse rotation Dana 35 ring and pinion carrier

Oh ya, I remember lots of stuff about the truck from when I had my 93. Reverse rotation and the factory 3.27 and 3.55 carrier is different so when you wanted to go to a larger gear it was way more expensive back in the day. I never re-geared my first explorer because they wanted something like $1200 in parts and $1200 to install. I know getting the front diff out is a pain in the arse. I finally know why the cost was so much... if you have the 3.55 gear or numerically smaller (3.27, 2.73, etc.) the carrier has a thicker mounting flange. If you have the 3.55 or numerically larger gear (3.73, 4.10, 4.56, etc.), the mounting flange is a bit thinner so you can fit the thicker ring gear. Thus the difference in carriers. And I did locate a new carrier for $89 on e-bay that would work if I had the stock 3.27's still. Somebody before me swapped the current axles in, I'm guessing from a wrecking yard. At some point I will go for 4.56 gears but the best I've found it $500 just for gears front and rear. That doesn't include the install kit or bearings and seals since I'd be in there. This is a super budget build and I'm $1400 in without fluids so far (that's for everything, truck, trailer to get it home, title and registration, spark plugs, radiator, hoses, oil pan gasket, etc.) I'm trying to keep the total under $2500 and I still need a set of 33's with some tread. The ones I got are slicks. So for now I'm going to stick with the 3.73 LSD rear and the nitro locker in front if it shows up. I'm just glad this site is still up. So much good info to search and read. Only problem is the lack of sleep I'm getting reading the old posts. I used to love surfing this site back in the day because of guys like you all, so helpful and willing to chime in to answer questions. And BTW @410Fortune , I wanted to do a Bronco II with explorer/ranger running gear but people have gone nuts over the broncos, even the 2's. I couldn't find one for under $2k that ran around here.

I know!! Bronco ii skyrocket in value!

We were Able to still get our hands on a couple of them last two years, two future
Builds. Deals still come around sometimes

To remove the front diff just drop the drivers side beam it takes about 20 minutes
I then Modified my drivers beam and diff/ structural
Bolt so it can be removed in the truck

Many ttb trucks eventually go solid axle so you can find used diffs, geared and locked if you are lucky

the only way to get a decent price on bii these days is a non runner! neighbor bought a non running v6 bii and is putting a 5.0 and m5odrh2 or whatever its called in.

Ya, I'm keeping my eye out for a TTB that has been dumped for a SAS. That or maybe a D30 from a Jeep to do a SAS, but I feel like that's a downgrade from the D35 TTB. I did see a D44 from an old F150 the other day for $800, but it needs a complete rebuild and I'm not ready to SAS yet... But I do hit up all the ranger/explorers that are being parted out to see if I can get a gear upgrade. Most have been 3.27s or 3.73s. The good news is the jeep guys want the 8.8's so they normally leave the front, so I should be able to find one cheap somewhere that somebody doesn't want to keep tripping over.

To remove the front diff just drop the drivers side beam it takes about 20 minutes
I then Modified my drivers beam and diff/ structural
Bolt so it can be removed in the truck
Jamie, you should do a write up on this next time you do it, that would be some great information for the site!

I second that... I got the the parts for the c-clip eliminator but I'm not going to pull it until the locker shows up. But any other tricks would be welcome.

My spring loaded
Slip yoke works fantastic, I have not had a c clip in many years (96-98?) I went through several versions of spring setups before this latest one.. it works the best. The c clip eliminator setup I’m using is the one with the external locking collar and the echo yard equipment spring

My bii is in storage at the moment, rust issues. But I plan to do a full frame off restoration next year and the ttb will get some upgrades (d44 outers) I will details this stuff then. I already have the c clip setup posted in my bii thread.
Funny thing is there are some with the same arb locker I have that were able to install the c clip…. Brett did this. I’m like dude!? All these years and you are telling me I could fit the c clip in there? Next time it is apart I will see

I had a ARB in a D35 TTB for about ten years with no C clip and no eliminator. Worked fine for a lot of hard use before I pulled it for my solid axle swap.

1.625 for the D35. I have the 13527 Aussie locker in mine.
Here's a pic of the side gear measurement.
0322211627.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh! And if your waiting on Nitro gear and axle you may be waiting a long time.
I waited 3 months for 4:56 gears for the front D35 reverse rotation. I was informed they are no longer being made even though they had them on there site.
So the order was cancelled.
So the search was on again and I was lucky enough to find a set after so many companies I contacted informed me they are no longer being made due to no demand.

Back