Barack Obama linked 2nd gen. SAS | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Barack Obama linked 2nd gen. SAS

So let me first start with a quick introduction .. my name is Barack Obama and apparently I'm the junior US Senator from Illinois :thumbsup: . I love slow walks on the beach and bed-side stories. Yeah I'm talking to you big boy:

Barack.jpg

Okay now onto the goods...

So recently I've been starting a few threads all relating to my Dana 44 front axle and other tid bits - so I figured it would be best if I just started an SAS thread to pull all of those threads together into one centralize place instead of having them floating about the sea of other threads.

Follow me now as I look back on the threads that I've started:

1) Reading Pinion Depth Number In this thread, I was confused on which number was the pinion depth offset number of my ring and pinion set for the Dana 44. After calling up the good people of Randy's Ring and Pinion, I was told that the numbers on the ring and pinion are no longer used for the pinion depth offset. So I'm like wtf m8!? They did give me a number to start from and so thats what I started with.

2) Ford 9" For Off-Road Use In this thread, I ask the general public what they think about the Ford-9" axle for off-road use. Conclusion, bowties - the GM 14-bolt axle with the stock Detroit locker is a God's send and so thats what I'm going with (it comes with a pinion bearing support - just like the Ford-9").

3) RE SuperFlex Assemby I've never put together a Rubicon Express SuperFlex Joint so in this thread, I ask the public how in the world these things are put togehter. And to be more specific, I was confused how to drive the plastic bushings into the housing. Conclusion - use a press <- faaantastic.

4) Hi-Steer Arms 10-degree Correction In this fabulous discussion, we discuss the ever-popular 10-degree correction that is often placed on High-Steer Arms. In the end, I decided to go with the Sky-Manufacturing arms (although I never updated the thread I dont think - darnit).

5) Dana 44 Ball Joint Sleeve > Replace? Ah finally, the pain in the asymptote. In this thread, which I have yet to resolve really, the problem is that the upper Ball Joint sleeve has frozen itself onto the "C" (aka inner knuckle). The issue has yet to be resolved so no conclusion yet.

Well then, lets dive into some concepts and design ideas.

3link_concept.jpg

As you can see, the front axle is located via a 3-link with a panhard bar. Each link will be mounted to the chassis using Rubicon Express Large SuperFlex Joint. Why go with the RE Joint? Well I was quite impressed at how much JEFE's front axle flexed - so I decided to go with the same joint. I recently asked him whether or not he has broken the 9/16" bolts used to attach the joint to the chassis and he said no - a big :thumbsup: . The link's body is made of a 2"x2" - 0.25" wall square tube - similar to Clayton Off-Road's long arms. Currently, my calculations are aiming for the bottom links to be 38.7" in length and the upper to be 34.2" (figures may change). This gives me an anti-dive of about 105% but I will make the upper link adjustable vertically at the chassis so the anti-dive characteristic can be fine tuned. The bottom links are angled "toe-out" becaue the Dana 44 is a "Wide-Track" axle and the Explorer's chassis is about 2" narrower than the Wide-Track axle's ideal mounting points. The "toe-out" angle however is not severe : about 2" out for the about total 38" length. The two bottom links are attached to the axle via a regular rubber-bushing. The upper "third" link is attached to the axle with the same type of rubber bushing except this one is adjustable - to allow for pinion angle changes.

Onto the front axle itself: As stated, the front "Wide Track" axle is from a Grand Wagoneer (I believe '86). Currently, its geared 5.13 with open differential. I'll throw in a locker in the future after I get this running. The axle was originally running the Wagoneer 6-lug bolt pattern but, because the rear GM 14-bolt is 8-lug, I switched the Dana 44 to 8-lug pattern using parts from a K20 (caliper bracket from a J20). As for the high-steer arms, as stated previously, I decided to go with SkyManufacturing's standard arms with the 10-degree correction angle (arms are on their way from CA).

The steering gear box is out of an IFS Toyota and the entire steering setup will utilize only Chevy TRE's except at the pitman arm.

The front axle will be suspended by Fox 2.5" Nitrogen Air Shocks with 16" of travel.

The rear axle, again as stated before, is a GM 14-bolt with a Detroit locker. Initially, it will be leaf sprung using the Explorer's stock leaf springs (with an AAL and WAR153s). However, I do plan on going 4-link in the near future after the Explorer starts rolling again.

Now onto some newbie pics..

The axle the day it arrived from New Jersey:
axle_pickup.jpg

Before last winter came, I emptied an entire can of Liquid Wrench (and other llubricants) into the differential to soak everything down in preparation for the following spring.
d44_greased.jpg

When spring finally came, the axle was torn down:
d44_housing.jpg

New carrier and new gears. The carrier bearings below are the set-up bearings which have had their inner races grinded down for repetative installation and removal on the carrier while the pinion and ring gear geometry was fine tuned:
d44_carrier.jpg

Spring also brought wheeling weather and I got high-centered on a rock so I decided to SOA the back for fun (the thing on the back is my snowboard and bike rack) and had to get my driveshaft retubed because it popped in half:
soa_backshot.jpg

The caliper brakets from a J20 after sand blasting and a coat of epoxy paint:
d44_caliperbracket_painted.jpg

Flat-top knuckles from a J10 masked off and ready for some epoxy paint:
d44_knuckle_ready_for_paint.jpg

Inner "C"s on the front axle sliced from the axle tubes (and temporarily knocked out about .125" for easier rotation) to set proper caster angle:
inner_c_sliced.jpg

Chevy K20 8-lug rotors .. "Oh my Mr. Obama, what big rotors you have. Why yes Sally, I do have big rotors." :
d44_rotor.jpg

Chevy K20 calipers:
d44_caliper.jpg

And finally for now, the RE SuperFlex joints:
re_joint.jpg

As for tires, right now I have a set of 36" TSL-SX's I bought for cheap from a local individual.

So what's in the future? Well the rest of the link parts are on their way - as well as the high steer arms. The Fox shocks will be purchased in about 2 weeks and the 14-bolt axle will be picked up about 3 weeks to a month after that. The rear axle is the least of my worries so that's the last thing on this Senator's mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lookin sharp there IZZY :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

IZwack said:
Tomorrow is axle assembly day. Today it was paint day, and some minor welding.

Painted axle:
axle_painted.jpg

what kind of welder you using for the castcenter? stick? mig? also what wire/rod?

so how long did your upper arm end up being. i just went and measured roughly for mine i got 45 inches.

DB_1 said:
Lookin sharp there IZZY :D

redranger4.0 said:
what kind of welder you using for the castcenter? stick? mig? also what wire/rod?
The welder is a stick welder (SMAW process). The rod/electrode is a special electrode made specifically for welding cast iron. Typically, such electrodes are of high nickel content. Different companies label their electrodes differently but for Lincoln Electric, go with the Softweld 55Ni or 99Ni. Your local welding supplier should have such high Nickel rods - tho they are much more expensive than normal rods/electrodes. Also, you can only weld about half an inch at a time and have to wait 'till the cast iron cools down again - so it takes quite a bit of time.

redranger4.0 said:
so how long did your upper arm end up being. i just went and measured roughly for mine i got 45 inches.
As for the upper arm length, I am not sure yet but I will be sure to take measurements sometime within the next few days.

For the update - well today I expected it to be sitting on its own two front wheels again but noooope. I only had a few hours after work so I spent that rebuilding the axle since it was mostly just the axle housing up until today. All i have left to do tomorrow is put the lockouts back on and its ready to sit back under the vehicle. Oh and put some oil in the differential. Then bolt up the shocks and the links, slap some wheels/tires on and it should be sitting :D

d44 minus the calipers:
d44_finished.jpg

and now - it sits :D
sitting1.jpg

the back is definitely lower than the front - by about 3 inches - but then again, my rear leaf springs are almost flat - so I'm going to look at my brother's X's leaves tomorrow and see what they're supposed to look like.

fortunately, the shocks were charged with just the right amount of nitro from the retailer and it compressed 0.25" away from where i calculated it to sit :D

looks awsome, get some tube fenders and make it look mean.

Get some side shots tho, it may just be me but that back tire looks a little small.

Also, if the explorer leafs dont work out you could always use a small block/shackle or just put in f150 leafs.

sn0border88 said:
looks awsome, get some tube fenders and make it look mean.

Get some side shots tho, it may just be me but that back tire looks a little small.

Also, if the explorer leafs dont work out you could always use a small block/shackle or just put in f150 leafs.
The back tire is the same size - 36" - but it is a little low on air so thats a small part of the problem. But I will look into those F150 leaves - thats probably the cheapest solution since those are in every junk yard.

This is the only side shot i have right now - i cant really get a true side shot with the entire vehicle in the frame cauz theres a wall right behind where this shot was taken from. Btw check out that front approach angle :D
sitting3.jpg

And here's another shot of the front (note that the drag link isnt on yet).
sitting2.jpg

looks badass, the green wheels turned out pretty well. are you putting your front bumper back on(just asking bc you comented on the approach angle and you have that piece of metal on the front rails too)?im so jealous. im not close to finishing and im moving tommrow and wont have time to work on it for weeks

it actually never had a bumper - well kinda - my bumper was a hitch from a Blazer hacked up to look like a bumper. I will make a new bumper which will be the new cross member too - but it wont sit any lower than the frame rails and will be kept as "short" as possible so as to not protrude too far out from the front.

I'm moving in a few weeks too so progress will slow down for me as well.

Forget F150 leaves- too stiff. I just added some leaves in mine from a couple different explorer leaf packs. Now I have a thick leaf pack that still rides soft and gave me some lift. I have decided that is pretty much what those expensive leaf makers do anyway, stack a bunch of leaves that are pretty simular tostock ones. I haverun accross 3 different rear leaf packs on explorers. I just made a combination of each. Not sure on the spring rate, but they had different length leavesand one had less leaves.

sn0border88 said:
need flex shots.
That wont be for a while .. my to-do list:

- driveshafts
- RABS sensor w/ E-brake
- brake lines
- power steering lines
- replace leaves on rear
- transmision / transfer case mount

on top of that, as i've mentioned before, i'm also moving in a few weeks. but i do hope to cross off some of those items in the list sometime this weekend - weather permitting
crossfingers.gif

sn0border88 said:
get a forklift. :D
dont have one - but one of my freind's neighbor has a tow truck - with one of those things on the back that can move up vertically - so that should work :D

IZwack said:
dont have one - but one of my freind's neighbor has a tow truck - with one of those things on the back that can move up vertically - so that should work :D

engine hoist :D

another picture request. More pics of the brake line relocation. like of the end of them in the engine bay. and maybe some different angles.

Thanks

Oh yea and an update

Well I havent done the brake lines yet - but I hope to sometime this week. So pls wait a few days :D

An update eh.. well I haven't found the time to work on it since Saturday.. and it looks like I'm going to be making my own pitman arm - so I plan to do that on Wednesday of this week.

My transfer-case mounted E-brake parts have arrived - I'm using a rotor for one of those 50cc dirt bikes for little kids, and the caliper and brake master cyl for the E-brake are from a 1985 Kawasaki Ninja 600.

IZwack said:
My transfer-case mounted E-brake parts have arrived - I'm using a rotor for one of those 50cc dirt bikes for little kids, and the caliper and brake master cyl for the E-brake are from a 1985 Kawasaki Ninja 600.

Where in the world did you find that that would work??

JoshC said:
Where in the world did you find that that would work??
I took some measurements of the transfer case's output flange and found a rotor that would fit. Obviously I'll have to drill the rotor to match the t-case's output flange holes but whats important is the rotor diameter - not too big as to drag on rocks and what not, but large enough so that the pads have enough braking surface to grab on. As for the caliper, I really could have gone with any rear brakes from any motorcycle, I just found this particular brake system on E-bay for cheap.

Sweet, i might have to use that idea if it works! lol How will you set the brake?

Back