BG Synthetic ATF - any experiences? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BG Synthetic ATF - any experiences?

TequilaSnrs087

Reaction score
City, State
Chapel Hill/Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
My 2002 Ranger 3.0, which has a 5R44E and nearly 60K miles, is due for a fluid flush. The trans has always had Mercon V, flushed once so far (30K). The only local shop I really use carries BG products. Will my 5R44E be happy with BG universal synthetic ATF? Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? BG stuff is used in tons of cars, but since it's really a shop-only brand there isn't much to read about it online.

I actually used to rep BG products many years ago. They really do have some good stuff...especially their 44K. But I have never tried their ATF...and their flush machine is simply a pump out the old and in with the new. That's fine, but you need to drop the pan and replace the filter too.

I just rebuilt my 4R70W and I bit the bullet and used Mobil 1 ATF. At nearly $6 a quart for 14 quarts, it's a hefty investment. But in this heat, I felt it was worth it. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, but it shifts and acts perfect. I'm very happy so far.

Can't speak for the BG ATF, however, I would definitely recommend going with a full synthetic ATF.

Good luck ....

I have decided to go ahead with it. The shop I use is really good and I don't think they would use something that caused problems.

Plus, my Explorer, with 158K on the original unrebuilt transmission seemed to do just fine with BG products.

Back