Brakes Overheating...What to Do??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes Overheating...What to Do???

I've always had good experience with Ford rotors and pads. Hell, the X is just finally needing new pads at 85K miles, and I have hit the brakes at over 100 MPH at least 3 times ;) Maybe i'm just very lucky, but the X stops very quickly for how heavy it is.

GM on the other hand, does have crappy rotors. Never had any Ford vehicles warp rotors on me though. *shrugs*

If you dont use the parking brake it will cause problems, make a habitof using it at least a few times a year, like once a month or so.....

Also they wear out quickly if you leave them on while driving and they are a PITA to replace (as far as e brakes go).........

I dont get how your front brakes fade because the rear parking brake is toasted???

Re: Not the Brakes!

Originally posted by PghBill
!

Funny thing - it wasn't a frozen or stuck cable but somehow the shoes were adjusted all the way out.

Funny- the tech who did the last brake job didnt adjust it correctly.

On the original problem for rpr

I would have to agree with 410 here about the pads. The Explorer really needs good pads - its seems to be fairly hard on brakes . I use the NAPA application engineered pads, never had a problem and get about 50k miles on them.

Also sounds like you need to check the adjustment/condition of the rear brakes - the fronts do most of the work, but they shouldnt be doing all of it.

Also check the caliper it may need to be replaced - especially if the brakes have been getting hot enough to fade- the rubber seals in them are probably shot. The slide pins also.

Your fluid must be replaced.

If your brakes are getting hot enough to keep you from stopping you shouldnt be driving it. If it was mine I would have put new rotors, calipers, pads and fluid - check and replace the rears right away- no reason to F around with it.

Good Luck

Hey 410 you are confusing two problems here- the parking brake problem hijacked the original thread on the overheating brakes.

Back