• Register Today It's free!

brakes scare my wife

dec322

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
When we hit the brakes the car starts to shake and pull a little. It still stops ok but my wife is scared. I think its just a warped rotor or something. Anyways, I'm going to get two rotors and new calipers. I'm thinking about just going and getting the parts from autozone for about $100. How does this sound to everyone.

PS. I went to Advanced Auto and they asked if my car was 4 wheel ABS or rear wheel ABS. I think its four wheel ABS but the rotors were $57 a piece. I went to Autozone and they didn't even ask and the rotors are $40 a piece. Does this matter??

just a question. how long since a wheel balance? My old tires would ride fine 'til I braked. Then they were all over the place.

But you may be right on the rotors. I don't think there is a difference between 4Wabs or rearWabs, but I may be wrong. Sometimes advanced just needs too much info to get to the right screen, and too stupid to cross-reference.

I just got new tires so the balance should be good.

The pads on the passenger side wore out very quick and it was rubbing metal to metal for a day (got to it as quick as possible). I just replaced the pads but I think it could have hurt the rotor.
Plus I took it in to get something done a year ago and they told me I needed new pads and rotors. So I went home and replaced the pads and not the rotors. Maybe now its time to replace the rotors.

Back