Dana 44 and 3 link install | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 and 3 link install

Since the AZ wheeling season is finally upon us, I decided it was time to put my new truck in the shop for a little tweaking to better handle the trails around here. A little about what I started with:
97Picture_189-med.jpg

Specs: 5 speed, manual tcase, 5.13's, discs and no slip in rear, 37 MTR's(street) and 36 TSL's(rocks).

The goal for this project was to build something that was able to drive to the hardest trails in AZ, run them successfully, and then drive home. It must also be able to be driven everyday as this is my main source of transportation. All decisions were made with a bias towards trail performance, instead of street comfort.

Build Specs:

Dana 44 - Left over from my last project.
- Warn shafts, CTM's, Detroit, 5.13's, Hi-steer setup, etc.
King Coilovers - 14" travel, 2" body
King Airbumps - 4" travel
Custom 3 link w/ panhard rod

All fabrication work is being performed by 4 Wheelers Supply here in Phoenix.

Work started Monday. Progress as of lunch today.
64DSC00705.jpg

Old front end has been stripped out, frame rail have been ground smooth in preperation for reinforcement plating, axle location has been determined, ride height is set. Items in the engine compartment have been relocated in preperation for the shock hoops and the crossbar that will connect them across the engine bay(next two pics).
64DSC00708.jpg

64DSC00707.jpg

I hope to stop in again at the shop Tues or Wed next week (it is a 45 drive away) and have better progress pics of the actual layout of the links, as well as the hoops for the coilovers.

Estimated completion date is sometime the first week of December.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick call Doug at Bama, maybe he can get you a performance program, and stick with the high octane would ya?

Geesh, medical problems are so much fun!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Todays update. Should be done and driveable tomorrow :D :D . At that point I will need to take it to have the exhaust redone and then we will fine tune the shock and bumpstop pressures. Then it will be time to take it out and see how well it performs.

This is drivers side at full extension of the shocks. You can also see the trimmed outer fender skin. Brakelines went on after this picture was taken.
64DSC00002.jpg

Same view on passenger side.
64DSC00003.jpg

From the front. I think we got the steering angles close enough to eliminate bumpsteer ;) . We used Hi-steer arms from Blue Torch Fabworks and modified them slightly to work around the track bar mount.
64DSC00004.jpg

The upper track bar mount. Sorry it is hard to see. I'll get better pics of it at a later time if anyone wants.
64DSC00006.jpg

New trans crossmember that also supports the upper and lower link mounts. This is not a removable piece, so it should make any future trans work quite interesting. I have been assured that the trans will still come out with a little motivation.
64DSC00005.jpg

Still to come is a new crossmember up front, a belly skidplate, along with the exhaust work I mentioned. At this time we are not going to mount the winch or build any sliders for it. The shop is getting back logged and with the holidays (and my desire to hit the trails) those things will have to wait.

I am incredibly excited to get this out of the shop and in the dirt. I can't wait to see how it does. I also will need to relearn how to drive as this is my first wheeler with a 5 speed (although I am already planning a C4 swap in my head).

Looks Awsome Michael :thumbsup:

I think I may do a simmler idea, but with coils. Did you buy the trackbar mount or make it?

Looks great Michael :thumbsup: Just give us a ring when you're ready to rock :D

serious droolage goin on

Stic-o said:
Looks Awsome Michael :thumbsup:

I think I may do a simmler idea, but with coils. Did you buy the trackbar mount or make it?

The mount was made by 4 Wheelers Supply. I was originally going to do coils as well. But it would have been almost the same cost wise and the packaging would not be anywhere near as clean.

Rick, I'll let you know as soon as I finalize my holiday schedule. I have to get back to TX for a little bit, so Thaven at New Years may be the first chance I have to get it out.

man and to think im trying to do all this to my rig by myself. if you dont mind me askin, how much is 4wheelers charging you?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the concept of creating a new cross member for the transmission is fantastic and inspring :D

Looks great Michael. Call me when you know your Texas schedule.

Nice nice and nice.
Can I see how the shock hoops meet the frame? Tubes just welded to the frame or is there plating?

Not everone who goes solid goes with bump stops, I bet this sucker will be alot of fun to drive :p

410Fortune said:
Nice nice and nice.
Can I see how the shock hoops meet the frame? Tubes just welded to the frame or is there plating?

Not everone who goes solid goes with bump stops, I bet this sucker will be alot of fun to drive :p

Jamie, the hoops are welded to the fram and then gusseted to keep them from shifting around. There is also a tube runnin between the two hoops across the engine to further brace and strengthen the hoops. I'll grab more detailed pics for you as soon as I can. And yes it should be very fun to drive :thumbsup:

Daddy_Ja: I'll share the final tally at the end, the up front estimate was $7500 including shocks, bumps, etc . I know already that we are over what we thought because of needing new knuckles and steering arms and all there hardware.

Beautiful work. The quality of this project looks excellent, definitely cleaner looking than my SAS, but then again, your truck was worked on by professionals, mine by myself and a buddy.

Can't wait to see some action shots!

Jamie, they're welded to plate, not just to the frame:

64DSC00006.jpg

64DSC00717.jpg

ah yes, I thought I saw that, but only on the steering box side, what about the pass side?

Work looks fantastic. Someday I will have the tooling and know how to do that type of fab :)

zainyD said:
but then again, your truck was worked on by professionals, mine by myself and a buddy.
cookie

410Fortune said:
ah yes, I thought I saw that, but only on the steering box side, what about the pass side?

Work looks fantastic. Someday I will have the tooling and know how to do that type of fab :)

There is a plate on the frame for the end of the hoop on both sides. I made it a point to check that for you this afternoon ;) . Of course I forgot my camera so pics will have to wait.

It is DONE!!! :bounce:

But, I am leaving it there until Tuesday so that they can build the winch bumper. A sudden cancelation in a rollcage gave them time to build it.

Looks nice Michael. Hope to see you at thaven for newyears. It will be my first trip out with my solid axle swap as well.

Also could you get a shot of the frame mount for the upper link? The one up by where the cats are.

Are you the only member on the board thats running a 3-link?

Back