ECX Uwharrie NF Trail Report May 10-11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ECX Uwharrie NF Trail Report May 10-11

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
First off, I'd like to say: Uwharrie Rules!

To start the trip off, I drove down to Wilmington to meet Jason (aka Blue Steel). When I saw his lifted '97 XLT I knew it would be a fun trip. We arrived at Uwharrie around 4:00 on Friday, paid our ORV pass (5.00) and aired the tires down.

(dead links)

We started out on Wolf Den and then merged into Falls Dam. The terrain on the "easiest" level trails are just narrow stretches of trails with "bumps" that would really test a stock explorer's ground clearance (skidplates are a necessity here).

Both John and Jason have 31" tires and 3" and 2.5" of lift respectively and both tweaked their running boards pretty good on the bumps on the harder trails. It's best to take it slow and easy. We then ran Dickey Bell which was rather easy for the both of us and then merged onto one of the service roads. I then decided I wanted a little challenge and ran the lower end of Dickey Bell in 2WD up and down! As it was getting darker, Jason parked his explorer and rode with me for the remainded of the day. We got on Rocky Mount and then we got a little lost :confused: . The maps really aren't all that precise! We eventually got on Sawmill as it turned pitch black and called it a day.

Jason had to leave early the next morning so I drove up to the local convenience store to meet John and his dad after their drive down from Virginia.

We started off around 10:30 at Wolf's Den, then we took Dutch John :nono:
I kinda feel bad for letting John follow me down that one, because it got nasty in places, and I know that he didn't want to mess his new truck up. Dutch John trail is very long, winding, steep and narrow. Along the path we had to dodge ATV's left and right. I don't think a stock explorer would be able to make it.

Here are some pics from that trail:

John had a tough time getting over this bridge. :p

Miniature Rock Garden

At the end of the trail, we encountered some jeepers from the Southwest Virginia Fourwheeler's Club. They had some nice rigs. Here are some pics:

At the end of the trip, we decided to check out the only trail we hadn't done, "Daniel". This was supposedly the hardest trail in the area. When we arrived it was decided that John would leave his truck and him and his dad would ride with me through the trail. But when we got there, we spoke with some of the local ATVer's who had just come through and they continually warned us of it's difficulty. Apparently, 2 78-79 Bronco's with 40-44" tires went up and got stuck :eek:
So we decided to walk up the trail. This trail actually goes up one of the foothills in the forest and comes back down. So after a very long walk, (and watching a huge crippled bronco limp down), naturally I decided to run it :D . And So the same large ATV crowd that warned us the first time watched as I got in my itty-bitty near stock explorer and started my run to the top. By myself, and without a spotter I made it to the top of trail to pick up John and his dad who were waiting for me. Words cannot describe what I felt right then. I knew that I had built my truck, and I had built it right :)
I still cannot get over how amazing our explorers are offroad and how we continue to push the limits to the awe of other 4x4er's out there. Here are a few pics from "Daniel".

To all those who couldn't go for one reason or another, you missed out on an AWESOME fourwheeling trip.

Who's ready for a full-scale run this summer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks awsome there, makes me wanna go! :) too far for me right now though.

I had a blast. My dad thinks I'm a nut. :confused:

Those 'bumps' on all the trails were 2-3' mounds of dirt with steep angles going up and back down them. While nothing serious, my wheelbase was too long for them. I would start up each on and as the front came back down the middle of the truck would sit down on top of the bump. The key to them were to just hit them straight on and let it sit down on the frame, and not hit them at an angle so the suspension would lean and let the running boards hit one on side. Then I'd drag it over until the rear tires finally started up. There were 'bumps' about every 20 feet and I hit all but 3 or 4 the whole day. Skidplates were a necessity, not an option. Mine are all scratched big time, and the one under the gas tank is bent up severly. But hey, that's what they are there for. :)

That blasted bridge! The easiest thing all freakin' day, and I couldn't get traction. :rolleyes: Why'd you have to go and mention that? ;)

Some of the rocks were of decent size. A few with lines that were impossible to keep my running boards away from. Just check out the million scratches down them and you'll see what I mean. The scratches are on the bottom side mainly, and the boards didn't get bent, so I came out okay.

A few times the trails got pretty tight. Damn those skinny Jeeps. :D I did end up with a few custom pin stripes, the main thing I so badly wanted to avoid, but I don't think any of them are too bad to buff out.

JASON IS THE MAN!! The Daniel trail was pretty rough. So rough that these HUGE Broncos and ATVs had trouble with them. Every one at the bottom of the trail said Jason would never even have a chance of making it. Just for a realization of the trail, it was so steep and rocky that I gave up on walking the trail, much less actually taking an Explorer up it. Jason took his Explorer up it like a walk in a park. DON'T MESS WITH AN EXPLORER!

In conclusion, I had a great time and impressed my dad. (not to mention the MANY ATVers and Jeepers that were astonished that we were actually out there in Explorers, not to mention making it through everything) It was worth the trip and I'd do it again. It would be a great place to have a run with better attendance, the place is pretty big. Take it slow, pick a good line, and skidplates will get you through it.

John did you take any pictures?

I'm glad you guys had such a great time. Sorry I couldn't make it. Apparently I wouldn't have made it in my explorer anyway.

wonder how far that is for me ... ID DEFINATLY be down for full scale... how do you think my rig would do? hang with the big jeepers?

As I said before, I think stock explorers would do fine with AT tires and skidplates. But just be prepared to get them banged a little on the undercarriage. And I don't recommend nunning boards/nerf bars, because you WILL damage them one way or another unless you have huge tires.

Were is this place you are speaking of? It sounds like a pretty cool place to run. I might be intrested in a run there if it is not too far away.

Eric

It's located near Troy, NC. Fun place to wheel for sure!

I only ended up taking 2 pictures, and those were when I was posing next to those big rocks.

I think a stock Sport model with skidplates would probably be okay, but a stock 4-door model would ruin the rockers or running boards over the humps.

my tires are a little differant than stock..... and they arent AT's

Dead Link Removed

Jason do you have lockers. Looks like you know your rig!

Yep I have a powertrax No-slip. Best money I've ever spent on my truck.

Looks like you had fun!

Paul S. had commented about going out there and depending on my schedule I'd like to try sometime late this summer. Keep me in mind if the ECX schedules a run out there later on. :)

94EBexplorer, I'm not positive, but I think your truck might could handle those bumps without too much trouble. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jason_25
To all those who couldn't go for one reason or another, you missed out on an AWESOME fourwheeling trip.

Just rub it in why don't you. Oh well. Those trails sound fun, let me know when there's a run this summer. However, from the sounds of it, my Ex wouldn't survive too well. Oh well, now I have an excuse to do a lot of work to it! :D

BTW, 94 EBexplorer, I love that picture with the dog!

Pics were down. Fixed 'em :D

Chase, I think with a budget boost and and 31's or 32's you'd be in the running for Uwharrie for sure. Not sure what you're looking to do with yours exactly, but if you can't find someone else to help with your build-up, I'd be glad to drive down there for a weekend to help out so you can make it next time!!!:chug:

Cool, Jason, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately my parents haven't exactly warmed up to lifting the Ex yet. But I'm working on it. Hopefully I'll be able to by the time the next run comes around. And if you keep that offer open, I might even invite you down to help sometime. :) Do we have any idea whenthe next run will be?

BTW, now that I can actually see the pics I just want to go over more! :D

The next run will be sometime this summer. Dunno where yet. Maybe Tellico :D But I doubt it. My truck just isn't big enough yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't picture my Ex ever being ready for Tellico :eek:

Back