Exhauts shop is smoking some good stuff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhauts shop is smoking some good stuff

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
I called an exhuat shop today that I have some work done in the past as I'm wanting a Magnaflow dual in single out put on.

The guy tells me Magnaflow is a bad design and they only put Flowmaster 40 series on Explorers. I told him a 40 was too loud and asked about a 50 or 70 to which he says a 40 is not too loud or to soft and he wouldn't even look up a 50 or 70 series.

I'll no longer be doing business with them again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called an exhuat shop today that I have some work done in the past as I'm wanting a Magnaflow dual in single out put on.

The guy tells me Magnaflow is a bad design and they only put Flowmaster 40 series on Explorers. I told him a 40 was too loud and asked about a 50 or 70 to which he says a 40 is not too loud or to soft and he wouldn't even look up a 50 or 70 series.

I'll no longer be doing business with them again.

The guys I deal with will sell me what I want, even if they don't normally carry it. They're also pretty objective about what they sell. If they disagree with my choice, they'll tell me why, but if I want it, I get it. At the end of the day, I take their advice which is why I've got a Flo Pro on my rig. See if you can find a local dealer for their stuff. I found Flo Pro in Wisconsin last summer. They're Canadian but do have some presence down there and make high quality mufflers. Mine isn't too loud at all, but not 70 series quiet either. The model # I'm using is in the EF reviews section somewhere if you're interested.

Customer's always right. Sounds like they don't want your business. In his economic climate, I find that hard to fathom.

haha. and they say the customer is always right. WTF. ohwell now they can take a fantastic voyage to bankruptcy:popcorn::roll:

The guys I deal with will sell me what I want, even if they don't normally carry it. They're also pretty objective about what they sell. If they disagree with my choice, they'll tell me why, but if I want it, I get it. At the end of the day, I take their advice which is why I've got a Flo Pro on my rig. See if you can find a local dealer for their stuff. I found Flo Pro in Wisconsin last summer. They're Canadian but do have some presence down there and make high quality mufflers. Mine isn't too loud at all, but not 70 series quiet either. The model # I'm using is in the EF reviews section somewhere if you're interested.

Customer's always right. Sounds like they don't want your business. In his economic climate, I find that hard to fathom.

I've tried in the past to find a Flo-Pro dealer local to no avail. Flo-Pro listed several on their list as dealers but everyone I called didn't stock them or had never heard of them.

It's also hard to find a shop that will put a muffler on that you didn't buy from them. One place use d a BS excuse that their insurance didn't allow them to use anything but what they handle.

The place I mentioned will put on what ever you bring them but then the stick it to you. They charged me $150 to remove and replace the mufflers on my '97 Cougar. I figured thhe would be less if i bought the muffler from them.

Hell they want $135 for the Blowmaster 40 series. That's double of what you can get it from Summit for.

What else sucks is there is hardly an exhaust shop open on Saturday here. For crying out loud it's Kansas City and the majority of people work Mon-Fri.

What shop was this? Just curious so I don't ever do business there myself. If you get the exhaust, I'll install it for you for a nominal fee.

What shop was this? Just curious so I don't ever do business there myself. If you get the exhaust, I'll install it for you for a nominal fee.

A1 Mufller on Blue Ridge just past Paul's Drive-In & O'Reilly's.

Two other places to avoid are Sci-Tech Automotive (they are the ones that pulled the insurance BS) and Eagle Auto Service.

I love it when places get their due, be it positive or negative.

Been dealing with a decent place, installed Flowmaster Force II on the Ex quite awhile ago. Recently put a Magnaflow on Pathfinder and after a week or two I really like the sound of the Mag over the Flow. Went to muffler shop and asked if they could put a Mag on the Ex. Shop owner said he absolutely could but I probably wouldnt hear a whole lof of difference and it could be a waste of money. I appreciate honesty, I have sent a number of people to him.

This is the exact reason why I do everything myself. Even my exhaust system I built myself. I cannot stand shops and the crap they pull. For example, my brother bought his mustang in for a tire change, and the shop gave him a list of things the stang needed. On there was a new belt and it would cost $110 to change. $110 to change a belt, are you serious??!!

Lucky me I have access to a welder so I rebuilt my entire exhaust system. See if you can take a sawzall to that puppy and clamp your muffler of choice in. All shops suck

This is the exact reason why I do everything myself. Even my exhaust system I built myself. I cannot stand shops and the crap they pull. For example, my brother bought his mustang in for a tire change, and the shop gave him a list of things the stang needed. On there was a new belt and it would cost $110 to change. $110 to change a belt, are you serious??!!

Lucky me I have access to a welder so I rebuilt my entire exhaust system. See if you can take a sawzall to that puppy and clamp your muffler of choice in. All shops suck

I tried doing exhaust work on my wife's car a couple of years ago and it did not go well. I tightened the hell out of the clamps and it still leaked. I had to take it to a shop (the one I mentioned) and have them weld it.

I want to replace the tail pipe while I'm at it and since I have 225k miles and 13 winters on it it's not going to be fun to try myself

What Magnaflow is it that interests you? When I had the exhaust done on my Explorer a few months back, I debated between Magnaflow's XL3 and a couple of Flo-Pros. I ended up going with the dual in/single out XL3 because I got a great deal. The XL3 is probably the only Magnaflow I would consider. The internal structure is very similar to that of the popular Flo-Pro models that some of our fellow forumites use. It is all steel construction on the outside and inside, so there's no need to worry about the sound changing after the fiber filling has been compromised. As far as the rest of Magnaflow's lineup goes, I really feel like you are just paying for the name. Their straight through designs are just glorified glasspacks, imho. Many of them cost well over $100 when a $20 glasspack will get you a VERY similar sound. I can't remember exactly what I paid for the XL3, but I know it was less than $75.

Magnaflow XL3:
123-muffler.jpg

FloPro:
FPbigmuffler.jpg

X6,
I would have to look up the number they used on the Pathfinder, all I know is it was a dual in single out. I am not familiar with Manaflow models but I really like the sound of it alot. Its deep for an enormous 3.3 V6... Doesnt sound ricey at all. Definite improvement over stock as recorded on the butt dyno.

The Force II sounds good too but not as deep or loud as the Magnaflow. I was not aware the Magnaflow was like a cheap glasspack. Cant say I am that knowledgable on mufflers though.

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a Magnaflow from Summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12258/

I would have liked to gone with a Flo-Pro but I can not find a shop that stocks them anywhere close to me.

To bad you weren't willing to make a drive to Emporia. When I lived there, I asked every car guy that I knew what shop they recommended and they all said Floyd's. They did my exhaust for a great price and didn't give me crap!

To bad you weren't willing to make a drive to Emporia. When I lived there, I asked every car guy that I knew what shop they recommended and they all said Floyd's. They did my exhaust for a great price and didn't give me crap!

Jon has a place very close to him that does great work for a great price. The problem is I'll be spending in gas on what I would save plus the possibility of having to burn a vacation day.

Emporia would be even further than Humbolt/Ioala.

You will not regret the Magaflow purchase. But in my recent ventures with my Bronco, I bought a Hooker Aero Chamber muffler and had it put on, and I was shocked at the sound, not too loud and not too soft, just a nice muffle. Now I think I am going to get one for the Xploder.

Back