• Register Today It's free!

f-150/Bronco spring question

pphillips250

Reaction score
City, State
Warrensville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer xlt
I've recently been thinking about lifting my 93 xlt, and have came across threads where people use 2wd f150 springs to lift up first gen explorers about 2-2.5 inches. My friend recently installed a lift kit on his 4wd full size bronco and gave me the stock 4wd coil springs. They seem to be the same size as 4wd f-150 springs. My question is, has anybody put 4wd f-150 or bronco springs on their explorer. If so how much lift did it give you? Or what problems did you run into? Is it too much lift to still be alignable on stock axle and radius arm pivots?
thanks- Paul

It would be more like 1.5" of lift most likely, especially with used springs and a 4-door truck. You would be using a spacer.

1.5" is very alignable, even with stock camber bushings. 2.5" and up is where you run into alignment issues. My truck has about 2-21/4" (using Skyjacker 132X springs) and it's right at the limit with Moog K80109. Any more and I would need drop brackets. Every TTB is a little different though.

I always thought they were different diameters...
Can you link a thread that shows people swapping in the coils, and not just the coil spacers?

Back