• Register Today It's free!

Factory Amp Bypass

jar2187

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB, 96 limited
I got a new head unit for christmas hooked it up and works perfect, only thing I went to circuitcity to get the factory amp bypass wiring harness and they said that they didnt make it and i would have to rewire the whole thing. The harness that I have hooked up behind the dash is the one with the linelevel converter thing. Well I got the bypass harness from tweeter and it came with the bypass harness and the radio harness. Thinking all I had to do was just plug the bypass harness in and it would work. Well I did that and got no sound. So I thought that it had something to do with the harness behind the dash, so I turned one of the dials all the way up and got sound out of one of the speakers. So I changed that harness with the one that came with the bypass harness. Sure enough sound. My question is that before I got the bypass harness the volume would be loud at 12, now that I have to bypass harness hooked up the volume is lower now. Is this because I was running the factory amp with the new head units amp?

If all you did was bypass the amp, of course it will be quieter because you are not pushing as much power to the speakers. The amp bumps up the power coming out of the head unit. When I got my pioneer head unit. I just cut off the harness and rewired to use the amp. Sounds great.

I have a pioneer head unit to with the factory speakers, They need replacing I am getting new speakers for my b-day, (Which is today)

It will sound alot better. Happy b-day:cool:

Back