Factory Cell Phone

svtman

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Limited
Hello,

I'm new to this forum as I've just recently purchased a 1997 X Limited. The truck has a factory cell phone (looks like a Motorola), but I didn't get a manual with it. I've got it hooked up and would like to program some voice activated directories into it but don't know how. Anybody here have a manual online for this or any idea where to get one?

Thanks!

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it is motorolla, try this link and use the model number to get the manual, if you can't find it, I'd contact motorolla, or whoever made it and see if they can get you one somehow...good luck...

Welcome to the site!

I think you forgot the link.... ;)

I am a cellular phone tech. If you have the model number I may be able to find a link for you.

The type is F57F19A383AC. Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave

that is a mtorola code for the phone but doesnt help me much. It should have a model number like 7797 or V60 or something.
What does it look like?
The ones that came in factory kits that I know of are usually either Startacs, Timeports or V60's.
Startacs are black flip phones, the batt is on the outside of the speaker (flip). The LCD is directly above the keypad on the same side. LCD is black and white type. Model number will be 77xx.

Timeports are very similar but silver in color and may have a color cover over the batt. LCD is black and white type.

V60's are usually silver in color. The LCD is right below the speaker on the same side. The batt is on the back of the phone behind a cover. May or may not have a color display. Model number will usually be sug32xx. The outside of the flip has a caller ID LCD.

If the phone is even older than these it is probably an analog phone. This will usually have a handset with a wire going to the transceiver.
Upon second glance I see you are trying to activate voice dialing so that leads me to think it may be a V60 series since none of the others have that but that model didnt come out until 2002/2003. If it is a v60 you can get a manual here...
http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bi...r=241675&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=

Another resource is www.phonescoop.com you can search for it there as well.

It is an analog phone (bagphone) and is not removeable from the truck. It has a button on the a pillar which when pressed says that the voice directory is empty. There are no other numbers on the phone other than a Ford symbol.

Thanks again

I wouldn't waste my time with that phone.. My truck came with one but I don't have the button on the A pillar or the trim level for it. I guess someone must have screwed up or something at the factory.

OK now we are getting somewhere. My Boss remembers this phone, he says that there is a place in the menu that will allow for recording the voice. He doesnt remember the model number but I have a bunch of old manuals I will look at next monday to see if anything sounds like what you have.
The thing is if you dont currently have analog service you might have a hard time getting it now. I know we dont offer any analog service to new activations now.

Also, if you can find the actual tranceiver it should have some info on it as well. Follow your antenna wire, it will go directly to a small 1" tall 4 "wide 9" long box. Thats the tranceiver.

You aint gonna believe this...I found a fax dated 1990...rotflmao

Motorola Digital Voice caller quick reference commands.
When you turn on the phone wait for the "on" message to be displayed.
To train your phone:
press fcn 0, 99, # (the user designator a or b will be displayed, press send to change it)
press the "1" key
you will be requested to say "telephone", "turn on" and "hang up". Pause briefly then repeat these words as requested.

To store a number:
enter phone number using keypad. press fcn, mem followed by the 2 digit mem location. After the prompt "directory name please" pause briefly and say the name as requested, use first and last name or two syllable words.

To place an eyes free call:
press any number 0-9 *, # for one sec or until tone stops and respond to "name please" audio prompt. press end to end the call.

There is more on this fax, if it sounds like what you have PM me a fax number and I'll send it to you.

Hmmm - that phone sounds fairly similar, but I'm sure 1990 is before its time. I tried the procedure but it did not work :-( I will try to dig up some more info on it or stop at a Ford dealer today to see if they can help get me a model number. Thanks for all your help!

Blee1099 - it's not wasting time - the phone is working and is a factory install from Ford. It is a 4 Watt analog phone that will absolutely blow away ANY digital phone on the market today in terms of voice quality, reliability and service range - especially when deep in the bush. Only problem is that it is permanently mounted in the truck. Anyone who has used an analog phone will know what I'm talking about - the only problem with these phones was their terribly battery life (no issue when you have a 12V truck battery to power it).

Dave

yeah, IF you can get service to it, it would be a great phone. Wish I still had a 3 watt phone. I have a (very) few customers with them. One is a geologist that could be a looooong way from a tower.
We still have some of the old phones around for salvaging parts off of.

Good luck and pm me if you need anything else!

Actually, 1990 IS the right time frame. That was the year we launched "factory-installed" cellular phones in the Lincoln Continental, followed shortly thereafter by Lincoln Town Car and the Mark VII.

I was the cellular phone applications engineering Supervisor at Ford at the time, and I had one of the earliest Motorola "voice-activated" phones in my Company lease car 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. I wanted to introduce the voice-activated feature on the Mark in 1992, but the Lincoln Program Manager wanted to wait for the launch of the new Mark VIII (1993). We launched them on the new Mark in 1993, and on the new Explorer in 1995.

I used to have the instructions (I had to demo this system to Red Poling at one time), but I do not know where I've filed them. I will try to look for them, and let you know if I find them.

regards,

cobrajeff

Back