First vehicle in the great white north | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First vehicle in the great white north

gdomr99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Sport XL
Hello everyone! I'm pretty excited because it turns out my Aunt's old 1993 5-spd sport is now my first vehicle. She bought it new, drove it for roughly 10 years, then sold it to a guy in mint condition. Said guy has now given it back to her (and her to me) since he's moving. I never thought I'd one day be driving the thing when I was in the back seat, barely more than a toddler! Mechanically it's sound. Cosmetically... oh boy. Have you ever smelled a decade of daily driving's worth of nicotine, combined with spilled engine additive? I have now.

There are also a few little things I noticed, and thought this forum would be the best place to ask about. But I'm not sure if the New Members section is the right place, so I'll refrain from asking about them here. Some advice about MPG mods would be nice too, but I have no grandeur visions of something that could compete with a hybrid lol.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new (to you) Explorer. Great story about your aunt having bought the Explorer new and it's finding it's way back to you.:chug:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to drive it yet. By "mechanically sound" I meant everything was OK except the slave cylinder & 8.8 need replacing. When I can afford it (didn't expect finding a first job to be so hard), I plan to get a new 8.8 with discs and limited-slip from a 2nd gen.

All I've really been able to do is clean the interior, which to be fair was pretty needed! Its been a team effort with my Mom & Aunt. The headliner is all torn up and sagging anyway, so I've decided to eventually replace it instead of clean the rest. Hopefully it shows up well in the pictures. The whole rest of the interior was stained in a similar way (and still is in some areas we missed).

View attachment DSCN1591.JPG

View attachment DSCN1593.JPG

Back