GT40 Intake on a Mounty

SN95GT50

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Jeep Wrangler
Over from the 5.0 Mustang world...

Just bought a `97 Mountaineer with 302, pretty much every option I can think of on it. It has 109k on the clock, I ran the car fax, the thing was serviced every 3,000 miles, 1 owner. The previous owner left a note in the glove box asking that I treat it nice. She even had a pair of gloves in with the jack so you don't get your hands dirty changing the tire. She had rubber floor mats over the carpet floor mats. I have had the truck for about 2 months, the only problem I found was the handles on the back doors don't work, I have already read how to fix them. I will post pics soon.

Now to my question...

I have a lightly modified 302 Mustang, with a GT40 intake. Isn't the lower intake manifold on the Mounty/Exp the same as the GT40 lower? I seam to remember that the only difference is the additional temp p[ort on the rear of the GT40 lower, is this correct?

So, I should be able to move my GT40 upper off the Stang onto the Mounty lower, correct?

My first post, so be gentle...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome fellow Mounty owner!!!
I am not certain, but I believe the internal design of the explorer intake is almost identical to the gt40--cool huh?

Yeah, but, I have always loved the tubular look of the GT40...

Yes! Another Mounty owner:cool: And a '97 at that:) I've got almost 188,000 on mine
You're in good family here. Jon, Evan & myself will hook you up.:D

I think we need a Mounatineer sub-forum. What do you think Jon:D

I am still trying t figure out my plan for this vehicle, like I said, I still have a 302 Mustang that is my toy. The problem is a small 2-Car garage that right now is home to just the Stang (keeps my oil puddles in one spot). I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of the stang, in which case I would move some of the parts from the stang to the mounty.

Dan, it looks like you are into car audio, are there any good places to hide amps/subs etc?

I may move the stereo from the stang to the Mounty, or build a new system but, I don't want to lose the hauling ability.

My system in the stang is as follows

Alpine headunit w/ Sirius
2 JBL P180.2 amps
Infinity Perfect 5.1's in the front
Infinity 5x7 Kappas in the rear
Infinity BassLink

I have always been of the feeling that people don't steal what the don't see, the stang looks 100% stock (stereo wise) except the headunit, I would like to keep the Mounty that way as well.

By the way, I am just N of you guys, Des Moines.

SN95GT50

I am still trying t figure out my plan for this vehicle, like I said, I still have a 302 Mustang that is my toy. The problem is a small 2-Car garage that right now is home to just the Stang (keeps my oil puddles in one spot). I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of the stang, in which case I would move some of the parts from the stang to the mounty.

Dan, it looks like you are into car audio, are there any good places to hide amps/subs etc?

I may move the stereo from the stang to the Mounty, or build a new system but, I don't want to lose the hauling ability.

My system in the stang is as follows

Alpine headunit w/ Sirius
2 JBL P180.2 amps
Infinity Perfect 5.1's in the front
Infinity 5x7 Kappas in the rear
Infinity BassLink

I have always been of the feeling that people don't steal what the don't see, the stang looks 100% stock (stereo wise) except the headunit, I would like to keep the Mounty that way as well.

SN95GT50

I was able to butcher up my stock sub box--re-enforce it with some bondo and fiberglass, and squeezed a polk mom 10" into it--
Then I used "Great Stuff" minimal expanding foam all around the box to make it a bit more rigid. Be sure to use the blue can, the maximum expanding stuff will bend your body panels--
It can look ugly as hell, as long as it is sealed up--
Then put the rear panel back on, and it looks like I did nothing--it has enough thump to hear it coming down the road--
Sorry, I have no pictures

I know what you mean about the space issue. I would 2nd Jon & build an enclouser to fit in the rear panel. Does yours have the factory sub or the storage bin.

You also might be able to fit one under the rear seats bt you are limited on highth as the seats wont fold down if it's too tall.

You can buy the MTX for it but they want to much money.

My wife is from Des Moines. She grew up about a 1/4 mile for George the Chilli King:D

What is George the Chilli King (sounds interesting)? I moved here in Nov, lived in Ames until late Dec when family moved up. We are still finding our way around. We live in Clive.

Yeah, I do have the JBL system with the sub and CD Changer. I am not sure what options are available on the Mounty, but I think I have every one available. I wan't looking for a Mountaineer when I found this, I went to look at a Blazer and the dealer had alreay sold it, then he asked me if I would be interested in a V8 Mounty, instantly made the Blazers look like crap.

SN95GT50

I built a sub box for my rear cubby hole- look in my picture gallery, I have some pictures there.

If you are pulling off your intake, think about putting a spacer on when you put it back together- its worth the effort.

What is George the Chilli King (sounds interesting)? I moved here in Nov, lived in Ames until late Dec when family moved up. We are still finding our way around. We live in Clive.

Yeah, I do have the JBL system with the sub and CD Changer. I am not sure what options are available on the Mounty, but I think I have every one available. I wan't looking for a Mountaineer when I found this, I went to look at a Blazer and the dealer had alreay sold it, then he asked me if I would be interested in a V8 Mounty, instantly made the Blazers look like crap.

SN95GT50

George the Chilli King is an old drive in. It has gone down hill in the last couple of years. It's at 63rd & Hickman I beleive. I can drive right to it I just can't remember the street names.

I know where Clive is. We've eaten at the Toco Johns several times. There is a good Chinese Buffet across from the Village in about 3-4 blocks south of the Taco Johns. Man I'n getting hugry:D

We did a Chinese Buffet last night, 104th & Douglas, man it was bad!

Where is the Village? My wife would probably know.

My wife is driving the M today, I have the stang. Funny how little she drives the minivan when I drive the stang.

It's around a 1/2 mile west of Wal-Mart/Sam's Club & north of the interstate.

There is a bank or credit union on the the SE corner then the Village Inn (south side) The side the Chinese place is on there is a Hardee's on the NE corner. I think there is a Toys-R-Us accross from the Chinese place. There is a SAS shoe store next to the Chinese place.

Yes! Another Mounty owner:cool: And a '97 at that:) I've got almost 188,000 on mine
You're in good family here. Jon, Evan & myself will hook you up.:D

I think we need a Mounatineer sub-forum. What do you think Jon:D

You forgot me too ;)

You never got back to me about the double cardan d-shaft you had so I disowned you:p:

Because you said you had a d-shaft before i even got home, so i put two together ;)

Because you said you had a d-shaft before i even got home, so i put two together ;)

I got to good of a deal from Evan on his used one to wait:D
And now I'm thinking about the 4406 swap :cool:

did the guy from Iowa say "minivan" ?:D

I'm sorry, did I hear smack?

Bring that 347 M up here and we can line it up with the stang :D

It's the wifes minivan, minivan in her name, stang & M in my name! (Just to clarify)

SN95GT50

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

minivans don't do this (yes im pimping my mounty on your thread :D)

Attachments

• DSC02367.jpg
    DSC02367.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 334
  • badlands.jpg
    badlands.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 356

Back