Help!! Front end noise has me stumped??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!! Front end noise has me stumped???

#1Aggie

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I have a '93 Gen X 2WD and two weeks ago, I did a complete front end brake job.

1. Replaced ABS rotors with Bendix Rotors, $43/rotor
2. Replaced all bearings, Timken
3. Replaced pad with Bendix pads, $45/set
4. Repacked bearings with Schaeffer 221-2, Alm Complex Moly grease.

Every since I have done it, I have heard a noise from the from end. I initially over torqued the bearings, but only drove on them about 150 miles. After being enlightened here, I pulled all apart and all bearings and retorqued. The races looked good. Grease still there.

Repacked again with same grease and toqued to 20 in-lbs.

Still have the same noise.

I took it to Midas for Brake inspection and everything check out good.

The noise increases with speed and with the longer that I drive it. It quiets down, momentarily, when going over a dip in the road. It starts out with a whoop.....whoop....whoop...whoop..whoop and gets to the point that it is continious.

I pulled calipers back off yesterday and check for noise and heard none.

One difference between the factory rotors and the Bendix, is were the ABS contacts are on the inside of the rotor on the OEM was cast in part of the rotor and just had some raised bars standing up. However, the Bendix rotor has a ABS metal ring sticking up with bars across for the sensor to pick up. The passager side rotor also has weights inserted into some of it vent holes.

The noise is driving me nuts, because it fairly loud and I fear that I am doing big damage that just has not been seen yet.

Help?

Maybe it's your tires? Maybe with the work your alignment changed slightly and now their tread or wear makes noise against the road or wind.

Originally posted by Alec
Maybe it's your tires? Maybe with the work your alignment changed slightly and now their tread or wear makes noise against the road or wind.

Will it eventually wear out and quiet down or am I in for new tires?

If you're alignment is off you should get it redone. As for the tires wearing, this may make the noise go away and it may not.

Back