• Register Today It's free!

whooping noise in right front

XLT Lou

Reaction score
City, State
Imperial,Mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hello All, My wife's 98 X 4x4 is making a whooping sound at low speed (5 mph to stop ) from the right front wheel. I jacked it up yesterday and spun the tire and could hear it. I pulled the wheel and turned the rotor by hand and could still hear it. I then removed the caliper and turned the rotor and the sound was gone.I cleaned everything with brake cleaner(not real dirty) and put the caliper back on and the sound was still gone,drove it for about 5 minute and the sound came back. The pads and rotors looked ok,could the rotor be warped or the caliper sticking ? This noise is very audible to anyone near the vehicle when stopping, whoop,whoop, whoop. Please help and thanks in advance.

make sure the caliper slide pins are lubed correctly. If they are not, the caliper will stick.

whoop,whoop, whoop
that sounds like a warped rotor. stuck caliper is more of a whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop until the piston jiggles its way back in. spin the rotor again and gradually put some sort of pointer onto the rotor and see if you can replicate the whoop, whoop, whoop. stock fomoco rotors aren't known for their high quality

Well i took it to a local brake shop and they put a run-out gauge on both front rotors. The left front was like new. The right front where the noise was coming from was shot. A new rotor was a whopping (not whooping) $21.This is supposed to be a easy rotor to replace Remove wheel,caliper,and the rotor slides off. Hope it's that easy. I'll let you know tonight, Thanks for the help.

Back