Help!!! Random Thing In Tranny Pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!!! Random Thing In Tranny Pan

rvaedge

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0
I dropped my tranny pan today and found this just sitting in the pan. What is it and where should it be??? I can't finish the fluid change until I find out what this part is so please help QUICK!!!!

thing.jpg

sorry for the fuzzy picture

If it still drives in both directions and all gears, I wouldnt worry about it ;)

It is an assembly plug used at the factory to keep stuff out of the tranny. When the transmission is is assembled into the vehicle on the line the filler tube pushes it into the pan. Obviously this is your first pan drop on this tranny!

So, relax, and throw it away.

haha, im relaxed. I actually came across it the answer on another website, so fortunately I didnt have to wait to finish it. My car has 116000 miles on it, and I bought it at 105000. Thats ridiculous that the pan was never dropped before now. That means the filter is OLD, and the fluid is possibly OLD (although it didnt look too bad). I'm glad I went ahead and changed it. That was the last fluid I needed to change. I'm running 100% synthetic through everything now! Another question about the tranny though: What is the path the fluid takes. does it go from the pan, to the torque converter to the radiator, to the tranny cooler, back to the pan??? Just curious. thanks

Ryan

Back