HID Projector Retrofit - '02 Explorer Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Projector Retrofit - '02 Explorer Sport

I recently purchased a kit from The Retrofit Source that included their Mini H1 projectors and HID bulbs. (I chose 4300K because it has the greatest lumens output)

I also opted for their CCFL Angel Eyes add-on (only comes in white)

*I got their audi style led light strips for free because the order was >$300, but had to request it in the comment section of the order.

** Once i got started on the project, I found that my headlight housings could no way fit a projector and a projector shroud, so I ended up tossing the shrouds I got after chopping them up trying to make them fit. If you do have a sport, I might try the mini graphite shrouds, but even those little suckers might not fit

*** I chose the mini H1 kit becaue they said the Mini D2S projectors are about 1/4" larger in all dimensions. After doing the retrofit, I am very glad for that extra 1/4" and doubt that I could have fit it otherwise. This means I was limited to their 35W bulbs/ballasts

I also purchased an 80mm amber LED ring here, and got two of their "plastic cover" diffuser rings to go with them.

PROCEDURE:

1) Bake your headlights and pry the clear lens off the front. There are tons of how-to's for this online. I set my oven to 250F and made sure the remove all hardware that could be removed before baking. 15 min made it super easy to pry off with a butterknife, but 7 minutes was just barely enough time if your work quickly.

* As you remove the clear lens from the rest of the headlight, wath out for those stringy drips of the sealing glue and make surenot to get any on the inside of the reflecting surface of the headlight.

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

2) Cut off the excess plastic on the back of the housing. If you try fitting the projector into the housing, you'll notice that you cannot tighten up the lock ring because the plastic has a flange that makes it nearly impossible to grab the lock ring and twist it. I solved this with a hacksaw
IMG_0411.jpg

3) I then stuck on my "audi-style LED light strips and drilled a small hole for the wire to exit the housing.

4) Remove that cup shaped piece that went in front of the halogen bulb inside the housing. Small screw.

5) Drill a hole (I think I used 3/8") near the bulb area of the housing for the rest of the wires to exit. For me, I had 6 wires : CCFL angel eye, hi-beam solenoid and LED halo.

6) Mount the amber LED facing towards the back of the projector (I used 2 dabs of superglue)

7) I used a dremel to increase the inside diameter of the diffuser rings. I started small and kept increasing the diameter until the diffuser ring fit snugly over the front of the projector. I then drilled 3 holes in the side of the diffuser ring and used floral wire to secure the CCFL Angel Eye to each one as shown in the picture:
IMG_0414.jpg

I then used a few drops of superglue to secure the modified diffuser lens to the projector.

8) Ready to assemble! Put the small o-ring over the threads on the back of the projector and place the correct 9007 adapter ring into the bulb hole of the housing. Insert the projector into the bulb hole and tighten up the lock ring. Install the bulb mounting hardware to the back of the projector and put the headlights on the car. Turn on the lights and rotate the projectors to make sure the beams line up. I had a little slop in the rotation, even with the adapter rings, so this is important!!!

9) Remove the headlights from the car, make sure the interior of your headlight housings are totally clean, remove the bulbs and any unnescessary hardware from the housings and bake them again to put the clear "lenses" on the front of your newly fabricated headlights. I used clamps to hold everything in place as the sealant cooled. I also used hot glue to seal up the holes I drilled for the wires where they exited the housings.

10) install the headlights and wire them up. using T-Tap connectors, I made the amber halo and audi-style LED light strip supplemenatl turn signals, and kept the CCFL on whenever the daytime running lights are on. I also had to switch the blue and white wires in the blue wiring harness in order for the highbeams to work correctly

finished product:
IMG_0428.jpg

This is just the daytime running lights without the headlights on. If you want more photos, I can post them =]

******Thanks to DiveMasterfor his detailed photos and descriptions here

UPDATE: after a few years of use, here's what I've learned:

The CFL halos are ****e. One burned out within a year. I replaced them with these LED halos from SuperBrightLEDs

20150213_185237_zpshs9pqeiy.jpg

These things are fracking BRIGHT! They are also a new product since the date of my original installation, there are more LEDs on it than the amber LED halos which I have facing aft.
I chose the 80mm "cool white" halos. They are slightly larger than the mini H1 projector housings and have stayed in place with a dab of superglue. I also decided to wire them such that they flash with the blinker instead of always being on with the DRL. They are on, then turn off when the amber DRL brightens up for turn signals or hazard flash then cycle through until flashing stops. Here is a short video showing that.

I am still very happy with the original projector retrofit, the only problem has been some corrosion on a pin in the TRS controller unit, causing one headlight not to ignite. This was solved with a bit or dielectric grease on the connector for the controller.

NOTE: I purchased a new flasher relay which accounts for the lower resistance of LED taillights... the flashing is now at a normal pace instead of the "hyper-flash" which normally results from installing LED bulbs in a flashing position. Pull your relay (under the driver's kick panel and find the corresponding flasher unit on SuperBrightLEDs... The new relay was larger and would not allow me to replace the plastic piece which snaps over the relay array... the main kick panel still bolted on fine.

I've been researching ideas for a little bit now, I know I want to use the mini h1, Amber led halo (inside shroud) w/ 4300 or 4500 bulbs. I'll use a shroud but not to sure which yet, something to fill in the bowl nicely. I'm debating on some led accents but limited on options with our basic circle designed headlight, I may just use led strips in the corner lens (Amber). I'm going to paint the reflector but not 100 on color (white truck), was thinking white but it may just have to be black.

Thanks for updating the thread

I just installed the new led flasher and yea it is bigger. I didn't want to just toss the cover so did this instead. Used a dremel, I think it looks good/clean
F1BC4FA9-CE19-48FB-988C-A1BE7E8814CA_zpss9hiokdf.jpg

Anyone interested in making a pair of these for me? I'll buy all the parts? :)

PM me if interested..

2001 Expo Sport..

My headlights are all pitted and foggy. I'd switch to projectors , etc if someone is willing to make a kit for me.

Back