Hood Flutter Bug Deflector

cookiejr26

Reaction score
City, State
Moyock, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum but am hoping for some insight/answers. I recently put a Bug Deflector on my hood but since doing so I now get some hood flutter when driving over 65/70. There's no tear in the seal but it did make it harder to close the hood. I'll remove it if I have to buy im hoping someone may have an answer?
-2022 Ford Explorer
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure what you mean by "There's no tear in the seal". Usually, hood flutter is caused by the hood pulling away from its metal structure under the hood panel insulation.

Peter

It's possible that the bug deflector is causing a vacuum causing the hood to lift. What brand is it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "There's no tear in the seal". Usually, hood flutter is caused by the hood pulling away from its metal structure under the hood panel insulation.

Peter
When I installed it I had to take the insulation back on a few spots to "plug" the bug deflector in where the insulation is attached.

You could try raising the hood stops. They may not be touching the hood after you installed the hood shield. The latch might need to be adjusted also.

I installed one over the weekend on my Explorer Platinum. It took 6 hands. The skin on my hood vibrates real bad. My mileage has gone down too. From 23 mpg avg. to 20.5 on a 3 hour trip at 79 mph.
Anyone have similar issues?

I installed one over the weekend on my Explorer Platinum. It took 6 hands. The skin on my hood vibrates real bad. My mileage has gone down too. From 23 mpg avg. to 20.5 on a 3 hour trip at 79 mph.
Anyone have similar issues?
Your post was moved to the 6th gen forum and this thread.
Did the hood vibrate before adding the deflector?

Peter

Back