• Register Today It's free!

How Do They Pull Trailers

BOATRDAV

Reaction score
City, State
BARTLETT ILLINOIS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8
I am getting ready to replace my 99 xlt v8 with a 07 Eddie Bauer v8 and would like to know if anyone pulls a boat or camper with their Explorer. I have a 23 foot boat on a tandem axle trailer it weighs in at about 5500 lbs. My 99 pulled ok but it felt like some more power was needed. The new explorer is rated to pull some 7200 lbs. But I would like some input if anyone pulls trailers and how well they do the job. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have an '06 V8. I pull a 21' Mastercraft with a tandem trailer (roughly 5000 pounds). The Explorer works pretty hard pulling on hills. But it does a fine job if you take it easy and don't expect to win any races. I was going to get a new truck to pull the boat, but the Explorer does the job and I will probably let it do the pulling for a couple of years.

Pulled a 2001 Mustang GT vert from Houston to Colorado through mountain passes with a medium weight full car trailer with absolutely no problems. Averaged 12.5 MPG and about 75-80 MPH. I did also have a trailer brake controller, and once I got it set correctly it stopped great.

Back