How many miles will an average 4.0 last? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles will an average 4.0 last?

I own a '96 4-liter 5-speed manual trans Explorer Sport 2-door that bought from a friend (first/only owner). Odometer broke at 265k around 9 years ago (before I bought it; guessing 320k miles when bought in 2012). Should have at least 380k now -close to 400k. No power train repairs/exchanges. Engine leaks oil, so just refill it. Radiator leaks a little (top it off every month+). Trans fluid? No idea. Needs the bearing in the clutch replaced (bad noises 40% of time clutch is depressed). Not much problem on low RPMs, and opted to not use the clutch for shifting when possible -like in slow roads or low traffic/neighborhoods [from 1st to 2nd @ around 19 mph release gas pedal, go into neutral and slowly into 2nd, then go to 29 mph and do the same into 3rd, 35-40 mph and into 4th, 45-53 mph and into 5th (overdrive?), sometimes hitting gas pedal to get Engine RPMs same as trans/wheels RPMs]. Can do the same backwards but it's tricky. Best it's to slow down to 10 mph and shift into 1st gear while light changes to green.

lol, blast from the past, i sold mine with somwhere around 260k+ on the clock in 2007 no rebuilds all original father bought new in 94

196K on my 94 Eddie Bauer and running great. Oil pressure excellent. Minimal oil consumption.
Problem right now and working on it: Check Engine light with KOEO codes 111, 214, 542. Just posted for help on that.
The original white paint looks great. No rust, being a Florida car. I just looked at an 07 Eddie Bauer and decided that I like my 94 better. Still looks as good as in the signature photos.

Back