• Register Today It's free!

How to Check Faulty Fuel Pump?

farmtruckman

Reaction score
City, State
ellensburg, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
:usa:Narrowing down fuel delivery problemson my 95 XLT. Now, want to check fuel pump. Not hearing it running when ignition turned on, so disconnected plug on frame rail to pump motor with intention of running power directly to pump, and the plug has me baffled. It is a 8 pin female plug (male portion forward has six pins) and I am wondering if all of these are hot? I was assuming it would be a two pin (hot/ground) and I could easily bypass wiring. Which portion of plug should I touch hot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the relay for the fuel pump? If your ac works you can swap the ac relay for the fuel pump relay and see if it works then.

did you check the fuel pressure?

Checking Fuel Pump

:usa:Relay good. haven't checked pressure. Getting no noise from fuel pump at all. Had already relieved pressure to replace fuel filter. Plan on draining tank in AM and going ahead and replacing pump if no one can tell me about that plug.

As I suggested in your other post... go to the inertia switch, disconnect and measure the resistance going to the pump. As you indicate on two wires are used by the pump, the others are for the fuel gauge measurements.

PNK/BLK should be battery and BLK ground... measuring resistance should show something.

Back