How To: Refill your old inkjet cartridges. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Refill your old inkjet cartridges.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Sometimes the cost of an inkjet cartridge is almost the price of the printer. There are places that offer to take your old cartridge, and refill it with new ink for a price much less than buying a new cartridge. You could buy a refill kit, and do it in the convenience of your own home so that you don't have any down time on your printer. The refill kit could be used many times to refill the same cartridge, so it pays for itself after the first use. I purchased a kit from Staples made by WWW.Jettecrefill.Com for my HP C7180 all in one printer:
Inkjet_cartridge_refill_kit_.jpg

The kit comes with 3 colors of ink, a cleaning solution, a drill bit for certain sealed cartridges, a syringe for injecting the ink, and some inserts:
Inkjet_cartridge_refill_parts_.jpg

Insert the syringe into the bottle, and start to draw ink into it:
Drawing_ink_out_of_the_bottle_.jpg

Don't draw too much ink up at one time, and avoid sucking air into it:
Only_draw_a_little_ink_at_a_time_.jpg

Ink is ready to go into the cartridge:
Injecting_the_ink_into_the_cartridge_.jpg

The next step is to use the cleaning solution before you start a new color. Use the same method to draw cleaner into the syringe, then spray it back into the bottle. It will remove any left over ink from the syringe. You wouldn't want to mix colors accidentally. The next cartridge is ready to be filled. Observe that there are 2 places to insert ink:
My_cartridges_have_2_holes_to_inject_ink_.jpg

Continue to insert ink until it's full, and use the cleaning solution before each new color. Always clean the syringe before it's put away.

Back