rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
In the $120-200 range... It needs to be digital with some options... :) LOL Vauge I know...

I have been eyeing the Kodak easy share then eventually getting thier printer.

Any other ideas out there? I mostly want this for family pictures and to be able to email them from time to time. Nothing fancy but the ability to be able to possibly print easy if needed.

I don't have a color printer right now so that is my reasoning behind the kodak... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kodak makes pretty good cameras. I have the DX4530 5 MP. I can print some huge pics if I want to. IMO, their printer isn't worth it at all. You can take pics with your camera with whatever free memory the large retailers offer in their sunday ads. After taking those pics, take the memory card to Wal-Mart and print them for $0.24 a print.

The reason why is that when I priced it out, it comes to around $0.65 a print. That's substantially more expensive, not to mention you must buy the printer too.

Here's the thread I started a while ago:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108381

canon has the best selling camera at $199. Its only a 2 mp and has a 3x zoom. Kodak would be fine but the canon has better lenses and pic quality. If your not too comp able then the kodak is the best for most beginners....especially with the docking station.

I just picked up a Samsung Digymax 420 or something like that for 200 bucks and i love it. 4.0 megapixels, 3x optical zoom with 4x digial zoom, take video with sound. It's got all kinds of little features so you can adjust the file size but leave the quality at fine. I was going to buy it because it was cheap and i needed one quick, but i really do like it. It takes 2 AA batteries and it's doing really good on them too.

Printing from home can be expensive. Like mentioned by '96 you can bring your digital memory card to many retailers and have them run off Standard size prints for you. I only make occasional prints at home...

Onecall.com has the Canon PowerShot A70 on clearance for $192.72. It's a 3.2 MP, 3X optical zoom camera. I've had one for about a year now, and think it's a great camera.

FYI: The above link says it has a metal body, but it actually is a plastic body.

When looking at a camera...do not take into consideration the digital zoom...only the optical zoom. The digital zoom is not a zoom at all.

kalel33 said:
When looking at a camera...do not take into consideration the digital zoom...only the optical zoom. The digital zoom is not a zoom at all.

To elaborate, digital zoom is exactly the same as cropping and blowing up the photo in an image editing program. Absolutely useless, and reduces the quality of the image while fooling the user into thinking they're shooting a high quality image.

If you want to move into the $250 or less range, I bought a Kodak EasyShare DX 6440 last week at Sam's. I'd been eyeing it for a while, and I just couldn't resist at that price. It's 4MP with a 4x optical zoom.

I was thinking about a Canon, but they use to have a problem with the pictures being too red. I know that they fixed them by now, but I've always liked Kodak's ease of use and quality.

Canon's are the best. For that price range I would go with the A70 or the A75 like OKrazie said.

I've had great luck with Olympus cameras. Go to Ebay and look up a seller called "Olympusamerica". They are factory refurbished cameras complete with the Olympus warranty. Their Stylus models are great.

Trunkmonkey said:
To elaborate, digital zoom is exactly the same as cropping and blowing up the photo in an image editing program. Absolutely useless, and reduces the quality of the image while fooling the user into thinking they're shooting a high quality image.

I know this is an older thread, but sometimes info can be timeless. Thank you for explaining the opt vs dig zoom. Wow...it's amazing what they try to sell you when you just don't know certain things.

I'm looking for a dig cam right now and found one at office depot for $249 minus $100 rebate. I also have a $50 O.D. advantage cash card. That would make this cam $100. :eek: It's a Fuji Finepix S3100, with 6x opt & 3.4 dig zoom. It's 4.0 Mpixels, and has 4 pic modes and a movie mode. Money's going to be getting tight pretty soon, but I think I'd be insane to pass it up. :confused:

~~Kim

Like everyone else has said, Don't worry about the digital zoom. Optical zoom is what you want pay attention to.

Looks like a good buy for $100.00. Review from Steve's digcam site: Bottom line - the FinePix S3100 will make a good choice for those who want a very affordable "Big Zoom" camera. It's great for users who are just getting into digital photography and plan on shooting mostly outdoor photos; we can't recommend it for indoor shooting due to its inability to focus in low ambient light. With a street price of around $299, it offers good overall value.

Steve's Digicam site: http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Thanks for the info. I decided earlier that I'll be getting that camera in the morning. I have a sis that works for office depot and I can use her employee discount, so I'll save even more money...awesome! I have another digital camera, so I 'm not such a beginner. But this Fuji camera is definitely a step up from what I have now that's 2.1 Mpixel, cumbersome and just plain cheap. The latch for the battery door is falling apart, at only 2 years old. Dummies made the latch out of 2 tiny pieces of plastic and one broke off a year ago...the other is on its way. Turns out, after asking my dad's opinion on this Fuji cam, he has the same cam and has been very pleased with it...he's had it 3 years and it's still going strong! This will be a good camera for me I think. I don't know if I'll be getting into anything more serious than vacation and travel snapshots, so something with 5 to 8 Megapixels is a bit much for me at this point. THe 4.0 will be great for now.

Turbo,
The Fuji will not record sound in the video mode, something to think about if you think you will use the video mode much.

Ed

Bit more exspensive but what are your thoughts on the Minolta Z5? Specs are, 5mp 12x optical zoom, anti shake, for $330.

you need the anti-shake at 12x- :eek:
I've done my own testing on these digi cams and anything over 4mp is a waste of money for a point and shoot/vacation camera. (My business has a $35,000 digital camera @22MP and a couple of Canon $8000.00 @16mp cameras and we all have 3.2 to 4.0 MP personal cameras)
I've discussed this with a lot of friends because they all know we have the high end stuff for business but we have the somewhat low end personal cameras and they're always surprised "really, that camera but it's only 3.2mp etc etc.)
This only applies to point and shoot candids-if you are looking into photography as a hobby then you will need a different camera with interchangeable lenses and that's another opinion. :D
1. The physical size- you want a camera that you can have with you at all times because the whole point of having a camera is to capture the moments.
1a. The display screen: 1.5 is a little small but now they have 1.8 and it does make a difference between 1.5 and 1.8
2nd- are you really going to be making 8x10 prints of your vacation/drunken stuper in cabo, Thanksgiving Day drunken stuper, Christmas Holiday drunken stuper? Most likely not (but you can if you want to, even with a 3.2mp sshh no wants you to know) You will be printing 4x6, hey they fit in those fancy things ... called, uh um oh yea Photo Albums :p the real trick is actualy making prints from your library of digital images- they tend to want to stay on the hard drive and not quite make it to paper.
3. The printing- as mentioned in another post it is actually cheaper to take the memory card to a retailer and have the prints made rather than printing at home. Most PC photo hosting sites allow you to order prints as well. I have not done any print testing from these sites because I'm a Mac person and use Mac's .MAC account to do my printing from and they'll warn me if a file size is small (because I had the camera set for capturing a small file) and the print quality is going to be poor. Others with PC based online photo accounts will have to chime in on their experience. I love the online **** because I order the prints and have them sent directly to family and friends.
You are not going to see any seeable difference in a print from a 3.2 to a 5.0 mp camera at 4x6 up to 5x7. Even your "photo" quality printer at home is not going to make up the difference in the extra cost of the 5.0 camera and the printer.
We have a $2,000.00 printer and printed from our little cameras and compared them to an 8mp and a 5mp camera. 4x6 prints were damn near the same. The best were from the online account because all i had to do was clickity click ;)
4. see #1
5. A home printer is never a bad thing to have but it's not cheaper than printing from a retailer. They lost millions when they didn't quite see the future in digital printing and were not up to speed to handle memory card printing. Oh they learned all right so now it's just like dropping off an old fashioned roll of film but better! You can get prints and a CD, heck you can get a CD from that old fashioned roll of film as well. Most places offer self service so you can make a print right there on the spot, but the drop off is cheaper. Faster is always more exspensive-just like cars :p
6. Back that sh*t up!!! and I don't mean your arse. With my .Mac account I have automatic back up set up so all my info is on their hard drive/server so when my puter' craps I'll have the info still there. I also have cd back ups of my images.
This is the drawback of digital pictures- no negatives to make more prints if the original is lost or destroyed. (but really who has the negatives from that last trip/ vacation anyway?)
If you lose the file, the picture/moment is GONE.
Always make double prints.
7. See #1
I say this again because most people don't enjoy the camera they purchased because it's too bulky and a pain to carry around over the shoulder so they end up with zero pics or very few from the event they just attended or the vacation they just got back from.
It's digital shoot, shoot, shoot- you are only paying for what you want printed so shoot from the hip, shoot people from the side so you actually get a candid and not that "deer in the headlights" look from your friends or that person that turns way every friggin time you raise the camera to your eye. Really, shoot from the hip- with the camera at the wide setting the angle of view will cover what you want captured just as you would if you had it up to your eye. Heck if it's a bad shot just delete it, presto bango el magico you can take another.

Anywhooos that's my take on the point & shoot digi cams.

Ed

Back